Puma - First KLS, now Stewie [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Puma - First KLS, now Stewie [merged thread]

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
"On Wednesday, Stewart will be announcing that she’s leaving Nike after five years for Puma, where she will be creating her own signature basketball sneaker. It will be the first original women’s product made from scratch in more than a decade, dating back to Candace Parker’s signature TS Ace Commander in 2010.

Some other recent players have had player exclusives, such as Maya Moore’s Air Jordan XI, Nike’s special-edition LeBron 16 for Diana Taurasi, and a Nike Kyrie Irving Low 4 “Keep Sue Fresh” for Sue Bird. Sheryl Swoopes’s 1996 Nike Air Swoopes was the predecessor.

Stewart’s shoe, however, will be all her own making. Stewart will be creating the design, colors, messaging. She’s brainstorming ideas: “Should it be called The Stewies?! Should it be eco-friendly?!” She wants boys and men to wear them, too. “Basketball has no gender.”"

Reaction Score
Puma has been making serious moves to represent big time female athletes. Many top tier professional female runners switched from Nike/Adidas to Puma in 2020 (many contracts were up because of the Olympic year.) Players will follow the money, and it's nice to see a brand investing in female athletes.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"On Wednesday, Stewart will be announcing that she’s leaving Nike after five years for Puma, where she will be creating her own signature basketball sneaker. It will be the first original women’s product made from scratch in more than a decade, dating back to Candace Parker’s signature TS Ace Commander in 2010.
Thanks for posting this article. The depth of emotion during her journey through rehab was intense.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Puma has been making serious moves to represent big time female athletes. Many top tier professional female runners switched from Nike/Adidas to Puma in 2020 (many contracts were up because of the Olympic year.) Players will follow the money, and it's nice to see a brand investing in female athletes.

Stewart's move to Puma coupled with Naomi Osaka's recent move to Athleta has me wondering what's really afoot in the empire...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
... with Puma. It will be the first original women’s product made from scratch in more than a decade, the last being Candace Parker’s signature TS Ace Commander in 2010.

Storm Star Breanna Stewart to Receive Signature Shoe After Joining Puma (msn.com)

1620831752088.png

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Stewart's move to Puma coupled with Naomi Osaka's recent move to Athleta has me wondering what's really afoot in the empire...
Allyson Felix (sprinter) - Nike to Athleta
Simone Biles (gymnast) - Nike to Athleta

Roger Federer - Nike to On (shoes), Nike to Uniqlo (clothing)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Puma was founded in 1948 in Germany when 2 brothers parted ways at the family company, Adidas, founded in 1924. They have been intense competitors in the athletic apparel industry ever since. However, while Adidas has been a strong player in the huge US market for many years, battling Nike for supremacy in the American market, Puma has more mixed results in the US market.

Puma was actually the first shoe company to market a player sponsored basketball shoe when they introduced the “Clyde” in 1973 which was promoted by then NY Knick’s star Walt “Clyde” Frazier. But subsequently, Addidas and later Nike became the biggest players in the multi-billion dollar US sports apparel industry.

The idea of marketing sports apparel through top female athletes is an interesting strategy. It speaks to the explosive growth of women’s sports, and signing deals with Lou & Stewie is considerably less costly than MJ or Lebron.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Fun fact: Puma is an offshoot of Adidas.
Well done. I didn't know this so had to research. I've been a fan of adidas since they came out with the first pair of women's sized soccer cleats.

Per wikipedia, "Puma is the third largest sportswear manufacturer in the world. The company was founded in 1948 by Rudolf Dassler. In 1924, Rudolf and his brother Adolf "Adi" Dassler had jointly formed the company Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik (Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory). The relationship between the two brothers deteriorated until the two agreed to split in 1948, forming two separate entities, Adidas and Puma. Both companies are currently based in Herzogenaurach, Germany."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
... with Puma. It will be the first original women’s product made from scratch in more than a decade, the last being Candace Parker’s signature TS Ace Commander in 2010.

Storm Star Breanna Stewart to Receive Signature Shoe After Joining Puma (msn.com)

View attachment 67396
.....and deservedly so. In business, you must strike while the iron is hot. Right now the iron is hot!! Since returning from her spring 2019 Achilles tear, Stewart has been on a roll. She was the 2020 WNBA Finals MVP, earning her second title, and then overseas won EuroLeague and Russian league titles with UMMC Ekaterinburg. Stewart won MVP for both the EuroLeague Final Four and the Russian Championship.

Now is the time for BOTH to cash in on her celebrity and success. In business......he who hesitates is lost. The window of opportunity does not remain open indefinitely. Think about it, if not NOW, when? Every player in the W would like a shoe deal.

Other top WNBA players have had player exclusive shoes in recent years, but Stewart will become just the 10th player in league history to have a signature design. Good for her!!! :)

“I think once it’s all said and done, she has a chance to go down as one of the greatest of all time. She’s already in that conversation at the age of 26.” ~ Sue Bird.

Fresh off more championships, UConn women’s basketball legend Breanna Stewart has eyes set on leading the new-look Seattle Storm

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well done. I didn't know this so had to research. I've been a fan of adidas since they came out with the first pair of women's sized soccer cleats.

Per wikipedia, "Puma is the third largest sportswear manufacturer in the world. The company was founded in 1948 by Rudolf Dassler. In 1924, Rudolf and his brother Adolf "Adi" Dassler had jointly formed the company Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik (Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory). The relationship between the two brothers deteriorated until the two agreed to split in 1948, forming two separate entities, Adidas and Puma. Both companies are currently based in Herzogenaurach, Germany."
Herzogenaurach , Germany, that's a name you don't hear very often. Was stationed at an ASA army base there end of 1967-1968 thru february. Great area in Germany.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Puma already had me hooked when they signed up Lauren London. But that was mostly about the casual footwear and hoodies and sweats. Now with Stewie on board maybe I can get a pair of her signature shoes to stunt in for my over 50 League.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Puma already had me hooked when they signed up Lauren London. But that was mostly about the casual footwear and hoodies and sweats. Now with Stewie on board maybe I can get a pair of her signature shoes to stunt in for my over 50 League.
I would buy a pair of Stewie's just to wear them, no hoop involved. I loved the Bird "Keep Sue Fresh" from last year that the team wore, kinda graffiti rainbow-ish, however I don't wear Nike anything.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
ISWYDT

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
""Anytime you hear signature, I think that's jaw-dropping, eye-opening, especially on the women's side," Stewart told ESPN. "There haven't been many. ... For Puma to be able to put the signature element out there, [and] respect me enough where they think that I deserve a signature shoe, is something that's super exciting.""

Reaction Score
I’ll happily buy a pair of Stewies whenever they get released! I’m excited to see more original shoes from women. It might seem insignificant to some, but that kind of confidence from a brand (and the branding itself) is a huge step forward for women’s sports

Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been mentioned but I wonder how this will impact Stewie's Philly Rise Nike Eybl team?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Two UConn super-teams out west​

This offseason, two of the league’s most recognizable teams in the Western Conference began an arms race of sorts. Both the Phoenix Mercury and Seattle Storm made substantial moves to acquire former UConn stars.

The Mercury added Kia Nurse and Megan Walker to a roster that already included Diana Taurasi and Bria Hartley while the Storm traded the No. 1 pick in the 2021 WNBA Draft for Katie Lou Samuelson, who joins Bird and Breanna Stewart in the Pacific Northwest.

Nearly half the Huskies in the W are on these two teams. No other franchise has more than two. The Storm and Mercury face-off on July 9 and 11 as well as in the regular season finale on Sep. 17.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom