PT: Covid positivity rate drops below 5% nationally. | The Boneyard

PT: Covid positivity rate drops below 5% nationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the first college football games still six months away that is a very good sign. According to the WHO 5% is the level that a area must be below to reopen. As vaccines continue at about 1.5 million a day, the case rate and death rate have lagged the positivity rate by a couple of weeks bit are also headed distinctly down. Connecticut's positivity rate is half the national average.

Dreams of tail gates are dancing in my head. See for yourself here. The blue bar with "US" on it also will take you to state numbers. Daily Testing Trends in Usa - Johns Hopkins

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, UConn plays football in front of no fans or at 25% capacity to start the season. I don't see them going to full capacity before 2022.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, UConn plays football in front of no fans or at 25% capacity to start the season. I don't see them going to full capacity before 2022.
I think if we didn’t have vaccines it would be no fans. Last summer Covid had dropped cases quite a bid before picking up in November. I think by the time September rolls around we will be in good shape. We didn’t fill the rent to capacity anyway so all those that want to go and tailgate will be able to and see a game.

Reaction Score
I think if we didn’t have vaccines it would be no fans. Last summer Covid had dropped cases quite a bid before picking up in November. I think by the time September rolls around we will be in good shape. We didn’t fill the rent to capacity anyway so all those that want to go and tailgate will be able to and see a game.
I'll be there if it's possible. Be nice just to feel that normal again.

Reaction Score
Interesting article from JH in WSJ that speaks to natural immunities taking hold nationwide.

I imagine limited attendance will be norm.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Interesting article from JH in WSJ that speaks to natural immunities taking hold nationwide.

I imagine limited attendance will be norm.

Natural or not, the current ratio is about 15 people being vaccinated for every positive case right now. And those numbers will only get better.

In 10 weeks we've vaccinated twice as many people as tested positive in 10 months.

Just about everything should be opening up at some level within next month. That's only if you believe in science.

Reaction Score
Natural or not, the current ratio is about 15 people being vaccinated for every positive case right now. And those numbers will only get better.

In 10 weeks we've vaccinated twice as many people as tested positive in 10 months.

Just about everything should be opening up at some level within next month. That's only if you believe in science.
i take it you did not read the article or understand the point, but the area of agreement is things are trending in right direction.

all that to the side, the challenge will be with the onset of flu season at end of year

Reaction Score
i take it you did not read the article or understand the point, but the area of agreement is things are trending in right direction.

all that to the side, the challenge will be with the onset of flu season at end of year
Like the flu season this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Read what article?

The OP's linked article absolutely shows a a huge drop in positivity.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If you are asking if I read the WSJ column, yes, I read it a few days ago.

And my comment about the ratio of vaccinations to new cases is based on my agreement that way more people are walking around with antibodies than anyone can calculate directly. The proof is in low infection rates now. I agree there are fewer and fewer people who are susceptible to catching the 'rona.

And yes, I would prioritze elderly and comorbidities above younger, healthier essential workers.

At this point if you had a confirmed case and recovered you go to the back of the line too.

Initially I believed everyone who got the first shot should get the second dose since I believe there was a social contract that individuals were getting a two shot series.

Now, ten weeks in to this? I think probably better than 75% of people can get just one shot and wait 8-10 weeks before they get their second. I now believe overall recovery is sped up by getting as many people as possible some level of immunity and then we can top off in the summer.

Reaction Score
The science would agree that prioritizing older Americans will have the biggest effect on the overall infection and death rates. Adults 65 and older account for 16% of the US population but 80% of COVID-19 deaths in the US.

The USA population is around 340 million people. 16% of that means about 55 million people are 65 or older. We have already administered 60 million plus doses. 6% of the population is fully vaccinated. If we maintain that pace and priority, meaningful drops in infections and deaths should happen in weeks not months.

Reaction Score
I know it probably isn't possible, but if there is capacity limit in the stadium, I'd like to see UConn set up a couple large screens outside the stadium to watch the game from your car/tailgate.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I know it probably isn't possible, but if there is capacity limit in the stadium, I'd like to see UConn set up a couple large screens outside the stadium to watch the game from your car/tailgate.

Technologically and logistically it's feasible and easy to do.

Having the will power to do it is a much larger hurdle to jump.

Pop up drive in movie theaters were happening all over the country during the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom