PSU Death Penalty Talk - Recruiting Effect? | The Boneyard

PSU Death Penalty Talk - Recruiting Effect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Penn State headlines continue to be negative and keep coming on a daily basis. I thought when the scandal initially broke that recruiting would be severely effected. That doesn't seem to have been the case thus far. Any insights / opinions on how this latest round of negative news and the possibility of severe sanctions may effect their recruiting? To my knowledge we have yet to win many, if any, recruiting battles with them. Can we expect that to change soon?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
for the record we did get myers last year who had a psu offer. the recruiting has been great this year for them so far, interesting that they haven't made a splash in new england this year tho. if they strike out on a couple lbs for there second slot they will offer cory jazz i think.

Reaction Score
It amazes me that they can continue to recruit at such a high level with everything that is going on. It will be interesting to see if that changes and how that may effect or not effect our recruiting. The kids they are recruiting may just not be that interested in UConn because it may not viewed as a big enough program. Let's hope that changes soon.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the success they've had this year. Athletes and parents knowing what went on there and just ignoring the culture and criminal coverup. Whether or who benefits I don't care, but assuming most of those new recruits knew of the situation, maybe we don't want them anyway. They are still hanging in there even now.

Reaction Score
If this becomes a reality - the flood gates may open.

"A student-athlete advocacy group has asked the NCAA to lift all transfer restrictions for Penn State football players, allowing them to switch schools without penalty. The request comes in the wake of the school-funded Freeh Commission concluding that administrators and coaches helped conceal the Jerry Sandusky sexual molestation scandal."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Reaction Score
we've had success in a few head to heads with them, Kanuch had an offer from them and he had a relative coaching there, although i can't remember if it was a brother, or cousin, or what. any bad news for PSU can't hurt. i can imagine a lot of PSU coaches visiting recruits at their homes would get an uncomfortable welcome. it's got to be hard to convince a kid that he fits into your vision of the program when there's so much controversy swirling in the background

Reaction Score
If this becomes a reality - the flood gates may open.

"A student-athlete advocacy group has asked the NCAA to lift all transfer restrictions for Penn State football players, allowing them to switch schools without penalty. The request comes in the wake of the school-funded Freeh Commission concluding that administrators and coaches helped conceal the Jerry Sandusky sexual molestation scandal."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3
News cameras were already at Timber Creek HS in Sicklerville NJ and at the home of top 2012 recruit Greg Webb. Said he stays firmly committed but my gut tells me that the flood gates are indeed gonna open to a certain extent. If any penalty comes down from the NCAA banning football for a yr, some tough choices are gonna have to be made by many kids and their families. There should def be no transfer sit-out imposed. I dont think PSU is gonna be playing football. Just a feeling I'm getting from some of the recent conversations taking place. For another kid to even commit to PSU at this point, would be a gamble!

Reaction Score
I'm surprised at the success they've had this year. Athletes and parents knowing what went on there and just ignoring the culture and criminal coverup. Whether or who benefits I don't care, but assuming most of those new recruits knew of the situation, maybe we don't want them anyway. They are still hanging in there even now.

I totally agree with you Jimdish...surprising how many have been willing to overlook the issues there.

I posted the following in the "...world of hurt" thread, but it applies here as well.

As for the recruits, I can see a situation where the new coaching staff is selling the kids on the great "opportunity" they have to come in and turn the program around. Bring back the program's great historical "respect"....that they have the chance to do this! In other words, forget about the past, just look forward. Additionally, they are most likely minimizing any sanctions that could be imposed against the university, that they shouldn't impact the program much at all. By telling the recruits this, it would suggest that they have no intention of self-imposing any penalty.

Finally....what about the recruits decisions to go there...to WANT to go there? Would you want your son to go to an institution which condones such behavior? I wouldn't! What about the players and families responsibility in all of this? You have to wonder about THEIR morals in pursuing and accepting a PSU offer at this point in time!

Reaction Score
I think that this alone is a reason that PSU should take a year off from football. I believe that some people today just do not recognize the severity of some situations. They see the name of the university and the history which it has had up until this point. Their dreams through their sporting careers may have been to attend such a university and nothing can sway them from wanting to attend. I feel that it is important for everyone, including the university, to step back and regroup before moving forward.

These recruits still wanting to attend and play for PSU are no different than the student who have begun to rally around the statue of JoPa. Its all just mind boggling to me.

Reaction Score
we've had success in a few head to heads with them, Kanuch had an offer from them and he had a relative coaching there, although i can't remember if it was a brother, or cousin, or what. any bad news for PSU can't hurt. i can imagine a lot of PSU coaches visiting recruits at their homes would get an uncomfortable welcome. it's got to be hard to convince a kid that he fits into your vision of the program when there's so much controversy swirling in the background
Kanuch's older brother played there and his uncle is Tom Bradley former DC and interm HC

Reaction Score
I think that this alone is a reason that PSU should take a year off from football. I believe that some people today just do not recognize the severity of some situations. They see the name of the university and the history which it has had up until this point. Their dreams through their sporting careers may have been to attend such a university and nothing can sway them from wanting to attend. I feel that it is important for everyone, including the university, to step back and regroup before moving forward.

These recruits still wanting to attend and play for PSU are no different than the student who have begun to rally around the statue of JoPa. Its all just mind boggling to me.

Mind boggling to me as well. I think it will be much different come signing day.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
here we go...

webb dc'd from psu and commits to unc.

Reaction Score
Given the severity of what happened there.....who really cares?

Come on, you should know - a lot of posters on this board care more about how this will benefit UConn football than about what happened. Yet PSU has a "football" culture...

Reaction Score
Come on, you should know - a lot of posters on this board care more about how this will benefit UConn football than about what happened. Yet PSU has a "football" culture...

Oh please. PSU, its students, and fans continue to embarrass themselves to this day.

Reaction Score
The question is how long is the bowl ban and does bowl ban include the 4 team playoff. If it is less than a 3 year bowl ban it is a whitewash. A 4 to 5 year bowl ban and playoff ban would be severe because it would significantly hurt recruiting.

Another big issue is will current players be allowed to transfer without sitting out a year. We saw what that did to our basketball program (Roscoe).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
rumors are flying right now over some rivals pic off the site leaked about some of the stuff.
-all kids transfer out, the ncaa will regulate kids to schools so only so many per school and regional thoughts included.
-ships wont count against schools 85 in spirit of dividing room.
-psu drops to 1a till 2020 when they can come back to life.

1-it could all be bs but we shall see
2-kpl will do work at bc for the local kids so we need to be on our game if we want to get some kids, i think we can land a few if this type of thing ever happened but while me and others here would hope for some kids coming home that may not be realistic. we will see...
3- if im the acc, now is the time to make yourself a big boy for ever. add nd partial and uconn right now. in 202 go to 18 with psu coming back and rutgers or wvu. boom goes the dynamite.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to follow the fallout of the sanctions on both the existing roster and their recruiting class. Will this help stregthen other Big 10 schools? ACC schools? Temple, Rutgers, UConn? It will be very interesting to see how the fall of such an important program will change the landscape of college football.

Reaction Score
They'll still be a member of probably THE richest conference in the land. Do Texas and Oklahoma drool at the thought of becoming members?

Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: #UConn football coach @PaulPasqualoni said players looking to leave #PennState have to contact school. School can't contact players first”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom