Providence Pregame Pressers 1/8 | The Boneyard

Providence Pregame Pressers 1/8

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guessing they will not put Paige up as #3 after Geno basically anointed her. My bet is Evina.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige admits changing her pass first mindset is taking work.

Geno's argument is that once you have established yourself as a leading offensive threat, opportunities to pass will open up more easily. Not sure that is an optimal strategy for Paige. The chicken vs the egg problem.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Liv was asked how Paige is handling the added pressure Paige must be feeling after Geno said "If you play like a freshman, we will lose"

Basically, Liv said she is very talented and her talent is at a level that she should be thought of as an upper classman.

Reaction Score
I could see from the videos that Christyn, Liv and especially Paige buy into Geno’s work hard practices, particularly now with the cancellation of games. My mind automatically went to Alan Iverson for some reason.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nothing from Geno this time?
Geno had plenty to give after the Baylor pullout on 01/05. Gave Paige more time today.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So, does Paige have a headache?

1610154326026.png

No, just trying to describe how her mind is being blown listening to Geno. :eek:

Also noticing that Paige using her hands in her descriptions more and more. Where does she get that from? ;)

Paige has given us some of the best soundbites I can remember at UConn such as

1) Paige Khardashian
2) Water bucket on Evina
3) Describing the Azzi recruitment and final success
4) Trying not to give Coach a swelled head.
5) Others anyone?

How great it would be if some tech savy person collected these classics.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno's argument is that once you have established yourself as a leading offensive threat, opportunities to pass will open up more easily. Not sure that is an optimal strategy for Paige. The chicken vs the egg problem.
That is not Geno's argument in this particular case (even though it is a true point). His point with Paige is simply that she is the best jump shooter on the team, so it doesn't make sense to pass the ball to someone else for a jump shot that is less likely to drop than her own shot would be.

I don't recall any previous UConn team where the point guard was also the best jump shooter, unless you count Diana as a point guard. Renee had Maya and CD2, Moriah had KML and then KLS, Sue had Shea and then DT.

As many Boneyarders have already observed, next year the normal pattern will return, as Paige will be able to pass to Azzi (and maybe Caroline Ducharme and/or Saylor) with a clear conscience and a high level of confidence that their jump shots are at least as good as hers. But for this year, she and Geno and all of us have to live with a situation that seems unnatural for a UConn team.

Reaction Score
That is not Geno's argument in this particular case (even though it is a true point). His point with Paige is simply that she is the best jump shooter on the team, so it doesn't make sense to pass the ball to someone else for a jump shot that is less likely to drop than her own shot would be.

I don't recall any previous UConn team where the point guard was also the best jump shooter, unless you count Diana as a point guard. Renee had Maya and CD2, Moriah had KML and then KLS, Sue had Shea and then DT.

As many Boneyarders have already observed, next year the normal pattern will return, as Paige will be able to pass to Azzi (and maybe Caroline Ducharme and/or Saylor) with a clear conscience and a high level of confidence that their jump shots are at least as good as hers. But for this year, she and Geno and all of us have to live with a situation that seems unnatural for a UConn team.

I thought Crystal Dangerfield is the best jump shooter in last year's team.

Reaction Score

When I heard that I thought of Montgomery and Taurasi both going like 2-15 as in the NCAA semis, seven years apart.
As for the whole deal about her shooting more it may be that he is thinking of playing Edwards more and Makurat less.

I like her not wanting to give her coach a swelled head. :D

Reaction Score
When I heard that I thought of Montgomery and Taurasi both going like 2-15 as in the NCAA semis, seven years apart.
As for the whole deal about her shooting more it may be that he is thinking of playing Edwards more and Makurat less.

I like her not wanting to give her coach a swelled head. :D
Aaliyah still needs to show she can hit an elbow shot before she can approach starter minutes.

Reaction Score

It's the optimal strategy for both Paige and UCONN. If she is the best perimeter option to score then she should try to score as a 1st priority as the perimeter player she is. In this circumstance, she'll get better quicker by forcing her to accept that she needs to be a 1st option scorer.

Reaction Score
I don't usually think of the pressure affecting these young ladies, but watching Paige in her interview, I noticed her arms twitching quite a bit after answering most of the questions. I haven't noticed that in previous interviews. I hope the pressure isn't starting to weigh on her.

Reaction Score
I don't usually think of the pressure affecting these young ladies, but watching Paige in her interview, I noticed her arms twitching quite a bit after answering most of the questions. I haven't noticed that in previous interviews. I hope the pressure isn't starting to weigh on her.
I saw that too. But I thought her arms were more than "twitching" - like she was shivering cold or something. Almost like she was practicing her 2-ball dribbling or playing with her dog under the table. I also thought her voice and the rest of her demeanor was fairly relaxed and didn't match up with trembling from pressure. ???

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige in words

“I knew he was so smart before I got here, but when I got here and actually see his mind, the way he thinks, he’s like a genius to me. I don’t want to make his head too big, but I’ll give him credit. He’s a really smart guy, so I’m not surprised at all by all the wins and all the accomplishments. Just to be a part of it and see it every day, it’s amazing.”

Reaction Score
Paige is multi-tasking. Doing the interview and practicing her next TikTok.

Reaction Score

In the interview Paige said that Geno have her the reason that you dismiss, but perhaps you know more about what he said to her than she does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom