OT: - providence-minnesota | The Boneyard

OT: providence-minnesota

Reaction Score
I put this in the CR board because it has nothing to do with the basketball game that I was watching between these two teams. Toward the end of the first half, the announcers, Bill Raftery is one of them, lauded how Mike Tranghese has done such a great job with the Big East. The mentioned that the football priority schools found a new home, and "in the end, it all worked out for everyone!" What BS. I think he must have forgotten about UConn when he made that statement.

Reaction Score
They clearly trust Mike Aresco more than much of this message board.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The best part was when he name-dropped Aresco...Brando is such a chucklehead thinking Aresco has done a good job.

Reaction Score
The best part was when he name-dropped Aresco...Brando is such a chucklehead thinking Aresco has done a good job.
For what it's worth Brando beats the ND to ACC as a full member with UConn as their partner drum incessantly. While the ideal landing spot rivalry wise for hoops and football it's a pipe dream.

Reaction Score
Please tell me what Aresco could have done better. Not some unrealistic pipe dream but real actions.

The guy has firmly cemented the AAC as the #6 conference in football, and had 3 teams in the rankings.

This could also be one of the best bb seasons for the conference if Uconn gets its mojo back.

Really think Aresco has done a decent job so far.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Please tell me what Aresco could have done better. Not some unrealistic pipe dream but real actions.

The guy has firmly cemented the AAC as the #6 conference in football, and had 3 teams in the rankings.

This could also be one of the best bb seasons for the conference if Uconn gets its mojo back.

Seriously! It all sucks but the lemonade isn’t thattt bad.

Reaction Score

Seriously! It all sucks but the lemonade isn’t thattt bad.
I like what Edsall had to say about the AAC competition wise the other day. When I compare what I see competition wise on the field from visiting teams now to what I saw when UConn was in the Big East I like what I see. There aren't the names like Syracuse, Pitt, WVU BUT then again outside of WVU those other teams I mentioned along with RU weren't really that good.

Reaction Score

I don't get why people hate on this guy. I think the anger toward him is misguided and should be reserved for those that were responsible for UConn during CR.

Reaction Score
Not add Tulane.
Not add Tulsa.
Not lose the Liberty Bowl.
I think this is overstated. You're seeing conferences play non conference games against conference opponents. Both the Big Ten and ACC are doing it.

You may see more of it in the future so that move may have been forward looking.

As for the Liberty Bowl, I got nothing. Although I thought the addition of Memphis "solidified" that.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I put this in the CR board because it has nothing to do with the basketball game that I was watching between these two teams. Toward the end of the first half, the announcers, Bill Raftery is one of them, lauded how Mike Tranghese has done such a great job with the Big East. The mentioned that the football priority schools found a new home, and "in the end, it all worked out for everyone!" What BS. I think he must have forgotten about UConn when he made that statement.

Sorry guys. Somtimes my producer makes me say stuff I don't want to say.

zls44

Reaction Score
I think this is overstated. You're seeing conferences play non conference games against conference opponents. Both the Big Ten and ACC are doing it.

You may see more of it in the future so that move may have been forward looking.

The idea that adding Tulane and Tulsa is in any way forward looking is insane.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 expansion drama exposed who's next in the pecking order of conference movements. Tulane was in the top 12. Tulsa wasn't even in the top 20 for the Big 12

Somehow, Tulsa has nearly a billion dollar endowment. And is obviously pretigous. Too bad we couldn't add Rice. :rolleyes: The only schools in CUSA still in that conference since 2005 (when Tulsa joined C-USA) are Rice, USM, Marshall and UTEP. Who else could have been added other than Tulsa? NIU?

If and when USF and UCF leave, FIU and FAU will probably be brought to the AAC. UMass should have joined the MAC. Very bad move by their administration.

Reaction Score

He did a good job with football but that’s an uphill battle.
He neglected BB for 5 years until UConn theathened to leave.
Then added WSU. Allowing the death of good B.B. schools dorsn’t scream executive of the year.
Aresco is a one sport commissioner in a sport that ruled by an Olgarchy
and looks to restrict competition.

Reaction Score
Aresco did a decent job with what he had to work with - the damage was done by the time he took over.

Reaction Score
Aresco has done a good job with the conference. If Uconn gets their s$!t in order could be 5 teams in men’s basketball from AAC in dance this year. What Aresco needs to do get media rights contract up to $15+mil. per year/school for basketball/football. I think there’s untapped value in conference. Other things Aresco needs to work:

AAC football champion: should have guaranteed spot in a big bowl (BCS bowl, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, even Gator Bowl, etc.). We can do better than hoping to be top ranked G5...we are 6th best conference in FBS should be in better bowls than what we got.

If we get media deal above $15mil.+ we should ok signing short term grant of rights to secure our future if the rest of the conference members signs it too. Need stability in this conference if you want the conference to get better.

I don’t see us leaving the AAC for awhile. AAC got 3 football teams that are ranked and basketball could have 5 teams to the dance this year so it’s not a terrible situation.

Reaction Score
He did a good job with football but that’s an uphill battle.
He neglected BB for 5 years until UConn theathened to leave.
Then added WSU. Allowing the death of good B.B. schools dorsn’t scream executive of the year.
Aresco is a one sport commissioner in a sport that ruled by an Olgarchy
and looks to restrict competition.

When did UCONN threaten to leave?

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
When did UCONN threaten to leave?

I believe there were private high level discussion with the Big East about joining for basketball and Olympics only. And that the nature of the discussions was leaked to the AAC.

zls44

Reaction Score
I believe there were private high level discussion with the Big East about joining for basketball and Olympics only. And that the nature of the discussions was leaked to the AAC.

I don't believe this happened. Its nice for everyone to think it did, UConn throwing leverage around- not true, though.

Reaction Score
This is true. It wasn't a threat I don't think. I think it leaked from the Asst. Commish of the Big East. It was more of an exploring possibilities, and the leak shut down discussions (that we know of).

Reaction Score
This is true. It wasn't a threat I don't think. I think it leaked from the Asst. Commish of the Big East. It was more of an exploring possibilities, and the leak shut down discussions (that we know of).

Why would the Big East people leak that? That does not help the Bg East in any way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom