Prospects Nation Releases Updated Class Ranking to Steal Vowelguy's thunder | The Boneyard

Prospects Nation Releases Updated Class Ranking to Steal Vowelguy's thunder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
But fails, of course. Here is their unscientific approach using only their rankings compared to VG's 4-ranking model (PN first, VG 2nd). LINK

1. UCLA, UCLA
2. tOSU, Duke
3. Texas, UConn
4. UConn, Louisville
5. Louisville, tOSU
6. Duke, Vanderbilt
7. Notre Dame, Texas
8. Vanderbilt, Notre Dame
9. GTECH, Virginia
10. Virginia, GTECH
11. Maryland, Tennessee
12. Tennessee, Maryland
13. Michigan, Florida
14. Georgia, Michigan
15. Florida, Georgia

In reality, they're fairly close, which is not surprising. PN gives tOSU more love, partly because they rank Mitchell as the #1 player, unlike the other services. They also give Texas a lot of love, as they rank their top 2 players very high as well. They don't think as much of Duke's recruits.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
None of them are. And when you total crap up to get a new number, you get more crap.

But it's still fun to talk about.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Georgia should be higher for PN as they dont even include #37 Nasheema Oliver for the bulldogs.

Reaction Score
Lol. That's what makes it so impressive! Of course, the fact that triaddukefan approves n vowelguy is one of us makes the work the best in the biz! Go Huskies!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
None of them are. And when you total crap up to get a new number, you get more crap.

I know that none of the ranking services can project college success very well, but I certainly think they are better than total crap. I know we joke about how unreliable they are, but obviously there is information in their rankings because we also point out how rare it is for someone ranked in the 80's (e.g., K. Dunbar) to actually help a competitive BCS-level team. It is also very rare for someone ranked above 30th to make college AA, but it certainly does happen. I believe that the odds of making AA are highest for top 5 players, lower for players ranked 6-10, lower still for players ranked 11-20, etc. In fact, it would be interesting to see how the odds stack up over the past several years, comparing the different rating services and the comparing each service with a vowelguy-like composite. I don't have access to the raw data required for this analysis, but if someone provides me final rankings for different services over the past 5-10 years or so and the applicable AA lists, I would be happy to crank out some odds.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Georgia should be higher for PN as they dont even include #37 Nasheema Oliver for the bulldogs.
Very true. She's a big acquisition for them. What team cannot benefit from a big strong post who can score?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know that none of the ranking services can project college success very well, but I certainly think they are better than total crap. I know we joke about how unreliable they are, but obviously there is information in their rankings because we also point out how rare it is for someone ranked in the 80's (e.g., K. Dunbar) to actually help a competitive BCS-level team.
Yeah, I overstated it. And I do appreciate the composite list.

Reaction Score
Print these list today and compare them next season, the following and the following years to come...........Lets see if UCLA can hold up under the new pressures of being expected to win.......Hopefully, they get more than 700 fans to there games this season.....Cal, Stanford, UCLA and ASU..........

Reaction Score

Possibly the best post of the Dogger's career. I especially like the mathematical theorem that

CRAP1 + CRAP2 = MORE CRAP (IF AND ONLY IF BOTH CRAP1 AND CRAP2 > 0)

I think his dog powers have been rejuvenated by that viral video of the 2-month old pup playing with the baby girl. Who can blame him?

Reaction Score
If you don't like HS rankings, then DONT READ THEM.

At minimum they _are_ interesting to many others.
And I'd dispute the notion that they aren't fairly accurate, but until someone does analysis as FC proposes, there is no hard evidence either way.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you don't like HS rankings, then DONT READ THEM.

At minimum they _are_ interesting to many others.
And I'd dispute the notion that they aren't fairly accurate, but until someone does analysis as FC proposes, there is no hard evidence either way.
How ironic.

In spite of having me on ignore, you were able to see my post as it was quoted by Wonkster, who I have on ignore.

If you don't sign in first, you see the posters you ignore. After reading his quote about me, I have to say I need to sign in first.

And I do like the HS rankings and the banter about them. I just don't think they mean much. So, your exercise in combining them is interesting. And I've said I appreciate you doing it.

Oooops....you can't read this.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I love the rankings..... I definitely pay more attention to them in girl's basketball than I do in boy's basketball or football.... It wasnt always that way....but has been the past 4 years or so.

Lol. That's what makes it so impressive! Of course, the fact that triaddukefan approves n vowelguy is one of us makes the work the best in the biz! Go Huskies!

That and 2 dollars will get you a can of cheerwine and a krispy kreme doughnut here in NC ;)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I love the rankings..... I definitely pay more attention to them in girl's basketball than I do in boy's basketball or football.... It wasnt always that way....but has been the past 4 years or so.

That and 2 dollars will get you a can of cheerwine and a krispy kreme doughnut here in NC ;)
I love Krispy Kreme. :)
The rankings will change a little when more commit.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
2 bucks for both, I pay that just for a donut!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Not sure what part of TN that you are in...... but I was in Memphis a few months ago... and they have a place called Howard's Donuts. Its a chain. My friend took me there.. and I was skeptical about them..... no way they could be better than Donut World here in the Triad. After 4 donuts I was like

24v7ia1.gif

Went back the next day for more... and before I came back to NC... I went and picked up a dozen more so I could enjoy them when i got back home..... If you are anywhere near Memphis... you gotta check them out.

2 bucks for both, I pay that just for a donut!

:eek: 2 bucks for 1 donut ??? Where do you live ?? :oops:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

Krispy Kremes are only good when you get them just made from a Krispy Kreme bakery store ...! Especially late nights on weekends when you have the post-bar munchies ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I take full responsibility for this thread getting sidetracked :oops:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I overstated it. And I do appreciate the composite list.
FWIW VG, DD posted this right after I argued how rankings have some information in them and before Wonkster posted his algorithmic interpretation of DD's remarks.

You may now all continue to discuss the virtues of doughnuts. But let me first point out my big problem with doughnuts: they are a poor complement to beer, greatly restricting their versatility.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
FWIW VG, DD posted this right after I argued how rankings have some information in them and before Wonkster posted his algorithmic interpretation of DD's remarks.

You may now all continue to discuss the virtues of doughnuts. But let me first point out my big problem with doughnuts: they are a poor complement to beer, greatly restricting their versatility.
For some reason, he just doesn't like me.

I'm so easy going.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22