Pros & Cons to Danny riding the refs. | The Boneyard

Pros & Cons to Danny riding the refs.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed Rob Dauster’s recent insights on DH’s penchant with riding the refs on his recent Top Dogs Podcast. I well know this is a sensitive issue on The BY. Appreciate Rob’s “If he’s not nutz he’s not one of us”. At the end of the day, I recall DH mentioning in a post-championship article that he learned from his past experience with riding the refs that it’s not in the team’s favor. Feel like he’s back to his old ways, thought he was going to temper himself a bit more this season. Regardless, In Carpenter We Trust.

Reaction Score
Really enjoyed Rob Dauster’s recent insights on DH’s penchant with riding the refs on his recent Top Dogs Podcast. I well know this is a sensitive issue on The BY. Appreciate Rob’s “If he’s not nutz he’s not one of us”. At the end of the day, I recall DH mentioning in a post-championship article that he learned from his past experience with riding the refs that it’s not in the team’s favor. Feel like he’s back to his old ways, thought he was going to temper himself a bit more this season. Regardless, In Carpenter We Trust.
Leagues and organizations need to demand performance and accountability from their officials and referees. The crew that blew the call in the Detroit Lions game a few weeks ago was removed from the playoffs. The NCAA should do the same with some of these crews and not let them officiate in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
i really thought our problems with BE refs would be over after winning the chip and earning hurley and the program the respect we deserve. the fact that it hasnt is shocking. so i say F-it. dont let the zebras win. get a T every game until this boils over and the conference cant ignore it anymore.

Reaction Score
Danny goes over the top for many calls that aren't that bad and is surprised when no one listens after actual bad calls. He also makes it weirdly personal compared to most other animated coaches. So the refs just don't listen to him any more. You can see it in real time... they do not care what he has to say. Overtly ignore him.

What we're seeing is a result of Hurley's actions. When you treat people like crap, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt when you plead for a review or something. He's not going to see a change in how refs react to him after 1 or 2 blow out games keeping his cool like some people think. It isn't about the chip or how many games we've won. They simply don't like Hurley. Some more than others, but it's clear as day.

That being said, I hate the zebras and thrive on the animosity. I'm all for it. Love it, in fact. Our coach is a psycho and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just think it's funny when folks act surprised the ref won't talk to our coach or we get some questionable calls against hs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just don't want him to lose his edge. I'm not a fan of riding the refs as a tactic. But a spontaneous outburst at a perceived bad call is part of the game. Like that held ball that almost took AK's head off.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What we're seeing is a result of Hurley's actions. When you treat people like crap, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt when you plead for a review or something.
but the issue is much bigger than a play here or there, it's the entire team getting screwed over on a nightly basis with the absurd disparity in FT shooting. i dont care if the refs dot like hurley but i do care that they are taking it out on the players

Reaction Score
but the issue is much bigger than a play here or there, it's the entire team getting screwed over on a nightly basis with the absurd disparity in FT shooting. i dont care if the refs dot like hurley but i do care that they are taking it out on the players
At some point I would hope the AD starts talking to the commissioner/head of officiating.

The reffing around the AK injury is simply inexcusable

Reaction Score
At some point I would hope the AD starts talking to the commissioner/head of officiating.

The reffing around the AK injury is simply inexcusable

This staff - and Hurley in particular - are so fanatical about literally every detail I would be stunned if it hasn't been a constant subject of conversation with the powers that be. This doesn't seem like the kind of staff that lets any detail go unaddressed. If we are thinking about anything you can guarantee that they have too.

Reaction Score

Playing politics with the refs is part of the game, even when you're coaching middle school. Has been since Calhoun still had black hairs on his head. It's as much a part of the game as developing talent or recruiting.

Someone in the AD needs to talk to the refs, particularly with that white haired turd, but Hurley also needs a reality check and a couple xannies if he expects anything to change. Two way street.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I loved watching the GOAT work the sidelines, I hated watching sad puppy eyes, always wanted him to say something. Now I love Hurley during the games

I don't care what the refs like or not. I don't like them much either

Don't take any chit Danny, dish it my man. Whatever works for you

Reaction Score
Danny goes over the top for many calls that aren't that bad and is surprised when no one listens after actual bad calls.
This is the sense I’ve gotten too. He needs to be better about picking spots, because some of his blowups are over correct or 50/50 calls. I’m sure there’s a bit of boy who cried wolf going on with the refs.

Reaction Score
This is the sense I’ve gotten too. He needs to be better about picking spots, because some of his blowups are over correct or 50/50 calls. I’m sure there’s a bit of boy who cried wolf going on with the refs.
I see that from every coach. I think this narrative about Hurley is overblown at this point. The refs are just terrible. It has nothing to do with Hurley pouting. They suck

Reaction Score
Danny goes over the top for many calls that aren't that bad and is surprised when no one listens after actual bad calls. He also makes it weirdly personal compared to most other animated coaches. So the refs just don't listen to him any more. You can see it in real time... they do not care what he has to say. Overtly ignore him.

What we're seeing is a result of Hurley's actions. When you treat people like crap, you aren't going to get the benefit of the doubt when you plead for a review or something. He's not going to see a change in how refs react to him after 1 or 2 blow out games keeping his cool like some people think. It isn't about the chip or how many games we've won. They simply don't like Hurley. Some more than others, but it's clear as day.

That being said, I hate the zebras and thrive on the animosity. I'm all for it. Love it, in fact. Our coach is a psycho and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just think it's funny when folks act surprised the ref won't talk to our coach or we get some questionable calls against hs.
It’s a difficult job to ref a game, but when you get replays to watch and still blow calls… something else is definitely going on.

Reaction Score
Coaches that rode the refs, Calhoun, Knight, K.

Coaches that didn't ride the refs, Ollie.

I think with Hurley it’s the relentlessness. Calhoun was absolutely brutal with officials, bouncing between intimidation and biting sarcasm. But it wasn’t constant. If Hurley would just save it for the really egregious calls, he’d be fine.

If officials aren’t afraid of being berated when they screw you, they will screw you. We learned that with Ollie.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

Attachments

• IMG_9417.jpeg
    IMG_9417.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 233
Reaction Score
Leagues and organizations need to demand performance and accountability from their officials and referees. The crew that blew the call in the Detroit Lions game a few weeks ago was removed from the playoffs. The NCAA should do the same with some of these crews and not let them officiate in the NCAA
You think i’s so easy to find refs? But I do get your point.

Reaction Score
You think i’s so easy to find refs? But I do get your point.
They should all be graded. The worst ones shouldn’t get to officiate postseason games. The NFL clearly had enough officials to bench the crew that officiated that Lions game for the postseason.

Reaction Score
I loved watching the GOAT work the sidelines, I hated watching sad puppy eyes, always wanted him to say something. Now I love Hurley during the games

I don't care what the refs like or not. I don't like them much either

Don't take any chit Danny, dish it my man. Whatever works for you
Its part of his job, must be done but not overdone. I think he is doing this year. At times last year he looked like an escaped mental patient. Get your point across without showing up refs. He is also doing a lot of hugging and arms around shoulders. Much better approach. Still not getting appropriate respect but trending better.

Reaction Score

Alex needed 10 stiches and the refs told DH they did not see anything. Something is amiss. They are either incompetent or they are out to get us at the expense of a solid young man’s face.

Reaction Score
I don't think that his working the refs in general has anything to do with the treatment we get during games. JC was the master and certain refs showed their distain with calls against. Danny has at times taken it to a personal level. I don't remember JC shouting across court calling a man a frowning clown. That's something that a guy won't forget. Zebra or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom