Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. UNC Wilmington | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. UNC Wilmington

Reaction Score
3 Pros:
1. Adama Sanogo! He showed a great offensive game. UNCW decided to play him straight up and he punished them for it. 24pts on 8-12 shooting. Destroyed everyone 1v1, had a few plays in the high post to get a good shot, and even threw a beautiful pass to a cutting Alleyne for a backdoor dunk from the three point line. Looked comfortable shooting threes (even though they didn't go down) and shot great from the FT line. Hell, he even fought his way through double teams to get a few scores

2. Hawkins is money. He hit his shots and played great defense. He'll only get better as the year goes on (hopefully). The corner was money, the fast break pullup was money, I felt great every time he pulled up. Career high 20pts on 7-13 shooting, 5-8 from 3P. He's going to add an entirely new dimension to our offense. Play of the game is snapping a dude's ankles and then hitting a stepback 3. Great game, even if he missed that open dunk :)

3. It's been said before, but Alex Karaban has such great BBIQ. He seems to always know where to be and what to do, and he's just a freshman. His shot went down tonight, and he was a very dangerous player because of it. He'll be a great zone buster - I remember one specific play where he got the ball at the FT line vs. the zone and immediately found Sanogo for an and1 alley oop. No hesitation, just production.

HM. Andre Jackson. I've never seen a more impactful 2 points in my life. He completely controls tempo and energy for this team. Literally diving on people for loose balls while up 30 (plz don't re-injure yourself doing that)

3 Cons - btw, very hard to come up with 3 tonight.
1. We got outworked and outhustled for most of the first half. Sanogo and Clingan were somehow getting outrebounded and straight up bullied on the boards for a good 16 minutes, and UNCW seemingly got every loose ball. I'd say that single handedly kept them in the game in the first half. We tightened it up near the end of the half, and unsurprisingly went on a run to make it a double digit game when we did. Completely put the clamps on in the second half and destroyed them as a result (46-22 2nd half scoring)

2. They were bringing Sanogo onto the perimeter to guard P&R's early, and he did look pretty uncomfortable out there. They didn't punish us too much for it, but I can seeing that be a problem if we face a 5 that can shoot. For some reason they stopped doing this near the end of the first half. Really not sure why, it was the only thing working for them other than hero ball from #0, who hit some really tough shots tonight

3. 0 bench points until 12:55 in the 2nd half. 14 bench points in total, 4 of which came from Richie in like 2 minutes of garbage time. Doesn't really matter when your starters score 72, and should be fixed when we can bring Alleyne and Samson off the bench when we're healthy. Yes, I am officially Team Start Karaban

HM. Diarra was just....there. Dribbled a lot, ran a lot but didn't really feel like he impacted the game, even defensively. I feel like some games he'll be an offensive spark plug off the bench and some games he'll be completely invisible. Not ideal, and Calcaterra will be gunning for those minutes

Conclusion:
It's hard to say negative things after that game, but I'll try in the name of unbiasedness. We are a top 25 team and we should be running teams like UNC Wilmington out of the gym as soon as the game starts. The first half was VERY competitive up until the last few minutes, which wasn't great to see. Especially confusing to see Clingan play so sloppy after 3 very strong games. However.... Andre gives 110% every play, Hawkins was automatic, Sanogo was unstoppable, we shot great from three (10-22), and we tore them to shreds. This game was the first example of what this team should look like. Pick your poison - focus your defense on Sanogo and give up open shots, or let him roll you. We managed to do both this game while holding their 18PPG scorer to 2 points on 1-3 shooting. Our starting PG and #2 scorer was nearly invisible, and we won by 36. This was a 40 point game before last-minute garbage time shots against our walk ons. Go Huskies, 4-0!

caw

Reaction Score
I agree overall.

I will say two things about the conclusion. UNCW played two pretty competitive first halves against ranked teams before tonight. Also, it was a bit of an adjustment with the two “new” players in the lineup.

Bonus, Newton picked up two early fouls.

Reaction Score
Pro… Jackson finger appears to be a non issue.
He was diving on the floor , defending tough with his hands, blocking a shot and in general playing as if there was no previous injury.
His stamina along with Hawkins’ also held up well.

Reaction Score
Only con I can think of: we allowed too much dribble penetration by their guards, especially in the first 16 minutes of play.
I noticed that too. #0 was lighting us up

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Game was over the second #44 stepped on the hardwood. The game completely changes with him on the court.
Let’s get his DPOY campaign started early. I don’t know if perimeter guys win it much, but he’s gunning for it this year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not that I was worried about outcome, but the first 12 minutes of the game Sanogo was the only one scoring. It was needed since no one else could make a basket.

Also, Sanogo 8-8 on FT's. That is very good.

Reaction Score
Let’s get his DPOY campaign started early. I don’t know if perimeter guys win it much, but he’s gunning for it this year.
I can see DC making a bid for it too!

There will be a heavy list of candidates this year…

Dre
DC
Posh Alexander
Akok Akok
Gibson
Soriano

Reaction Score
3 Pros:
1. Adama Sanogo! He showed a great offensive game. UNCW decided to play him straight up and he punished them for it. 24pts on 8-12 shooting. Destroyed everyone 1v1, had a few plays in the high post to get a good shot, and even threw a beautiful pass to a cutting Alleyne for a backdoor dunk from the three point line. Looked comfortable shooting threes (even though they didn't go down) and shot great from the FT line. Hell, he even fought his way through double teams to get a few scores

2. Hawkins is money. He hit his shots and played great defense. He'll only get better as the year goes on (hopefully). The corner was money, the fast break pullup was money, I felt great every time he pulled up. Career high 20pts on 7-13 shooting, 5-8 from 3P. He's going to add an entirely new dimension to our offense. Play of the game is snapping a dude's ankles and then hitting a stepback 3. Great game, even if he missed that open dunk :)

3. It's been said before, but Alex Karaban has such great BBIQ. He seems to always know where to be and what to do, and he's just a freshman. His shot went down tonight, and he was a very dangerous player because of it. He'll be a great zone buster - I remember one specific play where he got the ball at the FT line vs. the zone and immediately found Sanogo for an and1 alley oop. No hesitation, just production.

HM. Andre Jackson. I've never seen a more impactful 2 points in my life. He completely controls tempo and energy for this team. Literally diving on people for loose balls while up 30 (plz don't re-injure yourself doing that)

1. We got outworked and outhustled for most of the first half. Sanogo and Clingan were somehow getting outrebounded and straight up bullied on the boards for a good 16 minutes, and UNCW seemingly got every loose ball. I'd say that single handedly kept them in the game in the first half. We tightened it up near the end of the half, and unsurprisingly went on a run to make it a double digit game when we did. Completely put the clamps on in the second half and destroyed them as a result (46-22 2nd half scoring)

2. They were bringing Sanogo onto the perimeter to guard P&R's early, and he did look pretty uncomfortable out there. They didn't punish us too much for it, but I can seeing that be a problem if we face a 5 that can shoot. For some reason they stopped doing this near the end of the first half. Really not sure why, it was the only thing working for them other than hero ball from #0, who hit some really tough shots tonight

3. 0 bench points until 12:55 in the 2nd half. 14 bench points in total, 4 of which came from Richie in like 2 minutes of garbage time. Doesn't really matter when your starters score 72, and should be fixed when we can bring Alleyne and Samson off the bench when we're healthy. Yes, I am officially Team Start Karaban

HM. Diarra was just....there. Dribbled a lot, ran a lot but didn't really feel like he impacted the game, even defensively. I feel like some games he'll be an offensive spark plug off the bench and some games he'll be completely invisible. Not ideal, and Calcaterra will be gunning for those minutes

Conclusion:
It's hard to say negative things after that game, but I'll try in the name of unbiasedness. We are a top 25 team and we should be running teams like UNC Wilmington out of the gym as soon as the game starts. The first half was VERY competitive up until the last few minutes, which wasn't great to see. Especially confusing to see Clingan play so sloppy after 3 very strong games. However.... Andre gives 110% every play, Hawkins was automatic, Sanogo was unstoppable, we shot great from three (10-22), and we tore them to shreds. This game was the first example of what this team should look like. Pick your poison - focus your defense on Sanogo and give up open shots, or let him roll you. We managed to do both this game while holding their 18PPG scorer to 2 points on 1-3 shooting. Our starting PG and #2 scorer was nearly invisible, and we won by 36. This was a 40 point game before last-minute garbage time shots against our walk ons. Go Huskies, 4-0!
Also, Hawkins made a couple nice passes on drives which is nice to see.

Reaction Score
Only con I can think of: we allowed too much dribble penetration by their guards, especially in the first 16 minutes of play.
Yeah, until Hawkins and Jackson clamped them down. Those 2 bring a lot on the defensive side of the ball. I know I rag on AJ but he really improved his on the ball defense it seems. Those were some quick guards to stay in front and he did a great using his length to control their dribble.

Reaction Score
I know, transitive property.....

But still, how many times can a team say they beat another team by nearly 3x as much as a good/very good unc team did who also happened to still beat said team by double digits, a week apart too.

Reaction Score
The star on UNCW had 2. After scoring just under 20 against everyone else. Including some ok squads. We id'd the strength of the opposing team and absolutely shut it down. That's mid-season focus.

Reaction Score
3 Pros:

Conclusion:
I felt like DC was too slow to react to everything going on around him hence the sloppy play. You can already seet he difference between tonight and a team like buffalo in terms of how fast the game moves and i think it took him time to adjust but you could see him slowly start to catch up to pace a bit in the second half. Fully expect him to struggle a bit when the level of comp increases but he`ll adjust. Disappointed in Diarra. He needs to be better and no reason he cant be. He can ball just needs to play smarter and realize he doesnt need to force.

Reaction Score
The biggest CON that I can see at this early moment is the potential for people transferring out. Looks like lots of players who add value. May not be minutes for everyone. In the transfer Era many players aren't gunna hang around if the minutes are not there.

I know I'm getting ahead of things

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom