Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Iowa State | The Boneyard

Pros, Cons, Conclusions vs. Iowa State

Reaction Score
3 Pros:
  1. Donovan Clingan. He’s going to be an absolute superstar. That’s all there is to say. Finished with 15 points, 10 rebounds on 86% shooting
  2. The defense was suffocating. Iowa State scored 53 points tonight! That’s a season low for them, by 15 points
  3. This was Andre Jackson’s breakout game this season. Yeah he had his typical offensive concerns, but finished with 15 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 150% effort, amazing defense, and the play of the game with a DEEP dagger three
HM: Hassan Diarra’s disgusting hero ball three at the 1H buzzer to break an Iowa State mini-run

Cons:
  1. Jordan Hawkins barely played. 2 quick fouls in the first half, his 3rd foul 17 seconds into the 2nd half, and his 4th on a technical arguing that call. Didn’t get back into the game, finished with 2 points on 1-4 shooting
  2. Alleyne still is playing too fast and looking to score individually too much. I feel like he is in his head and needs to see the ball go through the net, so he’s forcing offense outside of the system. Only took 3 shots but also had 3 turnovers and some real questionable plays. Outstanding defense as always
  3. Newton had a lot of turnovers today. Some were due to ISU trapping him and him throwing it away, and some were just lazy passes. Did produce in other areas though, finished with 13 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 8 turnovers on 50% shooting
Conclusion: our #1 and #2 scorers had 6 points on 2-9 shooting and we won by 18. Iowa State had us playing their game early in the second half, but we threw some haymakers back at them and ballooned our lead back up to another blowout win. Congratulations to both the men and the women this week. Phenomenal performances and we’re going home with trophies! 8-0!

Reaction Score
3 Pros:
  1. Donovan Clingan. He’s going to be an absolute superstar. That’s all there is to say. Finished with 15 points, 10 rebounds on 86% shooting
  2. The defense was suffocating. Iowa State scored 53 points tonight! That’s a season low for them, by 15 points
  3. This was Andre Jackson’s breakout game this season. Yeah he had his typical offensive concerns, but finished with 15 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 block, 150% effort, amazing defense, and the play of the game with a DEEP dagger three
HM: Hassan Diarra’s disgusting hero ball three at the 1H buzzer to break an Iowa State mini-run

Cons:
  1. Jordan Hawkins barely played. 2 quick fouls in the first half, his 3rd foul 17 seconds into the 2nd half, and his 4th on a technical arguing that call. Didn’t get back into the game, finished with 2 points on 1-4 shooting
  2. Alleyne still is playing too fast and looking to score individually too much. I feel like he is in his head and needs to see the ball go through the net, so he’s forcing offense outside of the system. Only took 3 shots but also had 3 turnovers and some real questionable plays. Outstanding defense as always
  3. Newton had a lot of turnovers today. Some were due to ISU trapping him and him throwing it away, and some were just lazy passes. Did produce in other areas though, finished with 13 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 8 turnovers on 50% shooting
Conclusion: our #1 and #2 scorers had 6 points on 2-9 shooting and we won by 18. Iowa State had us playing their game early in the second half, but we threw some haymakers back at them and ballooned our lead back up to another blowout win. Congratulations to both the men and the women this week. Phenomenal performances and we’re going home with trophies! 8-0!
AJ only had 10 points but I did love his aggressiveness on offense. I love when he goes to the rim. He even had better form on his 3 point shot in the second half. He was great but Clingan is a game changer.

Reaction Score
I think we’ll see more of this pressing, trapping, our guards because they can be turnover prone. But our team passing is so good we should be able to exploit it.
ISU was athletic and skilled. Doubt we will see better double teams this year.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I think Iowa's D was strong - so I'm not hating the TOs other than a couple of bad passes. We killed them in rebounding, assists, and points at the line. Every single guy who saw the floor scored points.

Clingan's hands are like glue and I love how he uses both of them when rebounding.

Reaction Score
Lot of fouls last night. But the teams were really getting after it. Refs did a good job for what it was.

Reaction Score
DH/staff has done a great job with "Next Man Up" mentality.. In this game.. Sanogo and Hawk being non-factors.. Clingan/Karaban really grew up in this Tournament. Portal guards showing their value.

Mildly concerned about our guard response to their press.. Newton was constantly trapped/double-teamed and had little if any passing outlets to other ball handlers(with the exception of Andre).. Will need to clean that up in the film room. To the Cyclone's credit.. They had a really good press. Just seemed like Newton either did not anticipate the press quick enough and/or had no one to pass to. Out on an island

I think the TV production crew had a meeting with the refs at halftime to start equalizing their foul calls in Iowa State's favor in the second half. Seemed like Hawkins T the ref had "rabbit ears"

Reaction Score
I think we’ll see more of this pressing, trapping, our guards because they can be turnover prone. But our team passing is so good we should be able to exploit it.
we need some work on dealing with the traps and double teams

Reaction Score
3 Pros:

Cons:
I'd add one more Hassan HM - his rebound and put back +1 with the flex

Reaction Score
Cons: Alleyne needs to catch the ball when it’s thrown to him. Watch the NC State documentary kid…

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In order to beat us you need to trap/full press all game to force TOs and shoot like 60% from the floor. Not many teams have the horses or the ability to shoot that well, especially when we play such good defense and eliminate second chance points.

Reaction Score
Our team is really only going to lose if the other team has a freak shooting night. I think our other exploitable spot is athletic 4s and foul trouble for Karaban. And we'll have Johnson shoring up that gap pretty soon.

I think you'll see more teams pressing and trapping us now. I think the scout is out on our post-feeds as well. Teams are going to start bringing our guards to the middle of the floor where the feed is harder.

Roster construction this year is about as goodnas could ever be expected. Depth, maturity, clear roles, etc. Love to see it

Reaction Score
I think Iowa's D was strong - so I'm not hating the TOs other than a couple of bad passes. We killed them in rebounding, assists, and points at the line. Every single guy who saw the floor scored points.

Clingan's hands are like glue and I love how he uses both of them when rebounding.
The turnovers weren’t always the fault of the guy throwing the pass. When you’re playing against a Tony Bennett-type defense like that, the players without the ball have to keep moving. When they’re standing still, it’s too easy to double the ball handler and very difficult for him to find someone.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Prior to the game Iowa State was had forced turnovers on 30% of opponents possessions. We came in lower than that standard. Working on our ability to handle pressure will help, but the turnovers were not some revelation on our guards. It’s the mechanic of the Iowa State defense. We handled it fairly, and also got a few easy baskets as a result of passing out of the traps well.

Reaction Score
The turnovers weren’t always the fault of the guy throwing the pass. When you’re playing against a Tony Bennett-type defense like that, the players without the ball have to keep moving. When they’re standing still, it’s too easy to double the ball handler and very difficult for him to find someone.
Very true, I remember screaming to myself SOMEBODY HELP HIM when Newton got trapped 40 feet from the hoop and everyone else was standing at the three point line or below

Reaction Score
Our team is really only going to lose if the other team has a freak shooting night. I think our other exploitable spot is athletic 4s and foul trouble for Karaban. And we'll have Johnson shoring up that gap pretty soon.

I think you'll see more teams pressing and trapping us now. I think the scout is out on our post-feeds as well. Teams are going to start bringing our guards to the middle of the floor where the feed is harder.

Roster construction this year is about as goodnas could ever be expected. Depth, maturity, clear roles, etc. Love to see it
Karaban was outmatched against Oregon but more than held his own against Alabama. I suspect he’ll find ways to be effective against 4s more athletic than him as the year goes on. Super smart player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom