Proposal To Let Athletes Transfer Instantly After Coaching Change Picks Up Steam | The Boneyard

Proposal To Let Athletes Transfer Instantly After Coaching Change Picks Up Steam

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Proposal to let athletes transfer instantly after a coaching change picks up steam

Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

The proposal, which originated from the Big 12, would also allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a season (as currently mandated by NCAA rules) in the event a postseason ban is handed down by the NCAA as punishment to their program.

The traditional academic "year in residence" for transfers in all other situations would still be in place and extended to every sport. Presently, that is only a requirement in five NCAA sports.

The proposal authored by the faculty athletic representatives at Baylor and Iowa State has received early support. Skeptics note it is merely a proposal, not the proposal. Still, the document shared with CBS Sports seems to be the most detailed offering to date as a means of fixing the NCAA's long-criticized transfer policies.

"Basically, we're saying kids can go anywhere they want," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said. "For the first time ever in college athletics, the student-athlete is empowered."

Changing the NCAA's entrenched transfer rules has become one of the most significant undertakings in the association's history.

Coaches have long been able to "block" where a transfer goes. Athletes also have to seek release from their scholarships to immediately get aid at another school. Frequently, they have to get "permission" from the school/coach to move on to their desired school.

Those practices would end if the aforementioned proposal is adopted.

Reaction Score
It's about time..... if the coach leaves, the players should have the same freedom.... if it's not a coaching change, then the year sit out should stay in place, or else it could be a madhouse of people transferring. I hope this proposal is the one they enact!

Reaction Score
Of course, while celebrating the partial (only when the coach leaves) liberation of the student-athlete, this act of non-liberation gets sneaked in:

The traditional academic "year in residence" for transfers in all other situations would still be in place and extended to every sport. Presently, that is only a requirement in five NCAA sports.

That may actually be the main point of it all, to make something more egregious sound good by throwing a bone to students under special circumstances.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Can you imagine what would happen to Tennessee next year if this rule goes through and Holly gets fired at the end of this season?

Reaction Score
Proposal to let athletes transfer instantly after a coaching change picks up steam

Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

The proposal, which originated from the Big 12, would also allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a season (as currently mandated by NCAA rules) in the event a postseason ban is handed down by the NCAA as punishment to their program.

The proposal authored by the faculty athletic representatives at Baylor and Iowa State has received early support. Skeptics note it is merely a proposal, not the proposal. Still, the document shared with CBS Sports seems to be the most detailed offering to date as a means of fixing the NCAA's long-criticized transfer policies.

"Basically, we're saying kids can go anywhere they want," Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard said. "For the first time ever in college athletics, the student-athlete is empowered."

Changing the NCAA's entrenched transfer rules has become one of the most significant undertakings in the association's history.

Coaches have long been able to "block" where a transfer goes. Athletes also have to seek release from their scholarships to immediately get aid at another school. Frequently, they have to get "permission" from the school/coach to move on to their desired school.

In the Big 12 if you transfer to another league school, you not only have to sit out a year, but you also have to forfeit a year of eligibility. Note article 6.3 of the link.

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/handbook/Rules.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410

Reaction Score
Can you imagine what would happen to Tennessee next year if this rule goes through and Holly gets fired at the end of this season?
Depends on who the new coach is. Is there a time limit on the transfer? Is it a one day or one month window?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's about time..... if the coach leaves, the players should have the same freedom.... if it's not a coaching change, then the year sit out should stay in place, or else it could be a madhouse of people transferring. I hope this proposal is the one they enact!

Agree 100% !!! When players commit to a program, they commit to the coach/coaching staff. How many former UConn players have said they wanted to play for Geno? Did Rebecca Lobo want to come to Connecticut because it was close to home, or did she come because she wanted to play for Geno? Why did Dangerfield come to Storrs? For the water? (ala Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca) :eek:

No! She said she wanted to play for Geno since she was in the 8th grade. Coaches recruit players (athletes), not the colleges or universities. How many times have players been left "hanging" when the entire coaching staff that they committed to leaves to take a better more high paying job elsewhere? All the coaches usually go with him/her. After all, they are his/her hand picked staff. The new coach will bring in their own staff. The new coach has no love or loyalty to the leftover athletes, as they did not recruit them. Sometimes those incoming coaches have other players they want to bring in to replace them with and want to use their scholarship to do it......WTH?!? :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't get this at all. Instead of doing away with the year in residence which currently only applies to 5 sports this proposal would EXPAND the year in residence to ALL sports not just the current five. I think that's a poison pill meaning there is no way AD would agree to that so that kills the rest of the proposal or sets the state for negotiations.

"Part of the proposal calls for uniformity. In the traditional transfer setting, athletes are required to sit out a year in only five sports: baseball, hockey, football and men's and women's basketball. Under the proposal, transfers in all sports would be required to sit out a year in the event of a traditional transfer."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score

Well, for one thing, there will be a champagne party on the VolNation!! With or without the rule change.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Technically speaking, her contract expires next year so she wouldn't be "fired". That said if a new coach comes in, I still think the team could transfer to new schools.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I don't get this at all.......this proposal would EXPAND the year in residence to ALL sports not just the current five. I think that's a poison pill meaning there is no way AD would agree to that so that kills the rest of the proposal or sets the state for negotiations.
Coco, actually, I think you do get it as CFB, MCBB, WCBB as the big 3 had the residency rule to protect schools from "pouching". However, non-revenue sports are also seeing a pickup in "pouching" by competing schools who say, come here and you will start for us..or get more money or other perks. The design of unethical behavior is not limited to the big salaries/budgets of the main sports but also in soccer, swimming, lacrosse and the like. Sad but true.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

th

So, every handshake line will now be seen as an opportunity to tamper? Will every presser compliment made by a coach about an opposing player now be examined as a recruitment effort? I can remember Geno saying to Griner, among others, that he would love to coach her some time. Sounds like it could change some coaches to even more paranoid cases. I could picture Brenda walking next to Geno to hear his comments.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, actually, I think you do get it as CFB, MCBB, WCBB as the big 3 had the residency rule to protect schools from "pouching". However, non-revenue sports are also seeing a pickup in "pouching" by competing schools who say, come here and you will start for us..or get more money or other perks. The design of unethical behavior is not limited to the big salaries/budgets of the main sports but also in soccer, swimming, lacrosse and the like. Sad but true.
That's not the it that I don't get. The it, is the overall impact of this proposal. Under this proposal the part where you had to "notify" your coach & school you are leaving would go away. If you don't have to notify your coach/school you are leaving you can end up anywhere -except you can't follow a coach to his new school. So if I'm a devious coach and I know I'm leaving and you want certain players you tell those players ahead of time to transfer to Big State U. Technically the players aren't following the coach, because the players are in place before the coach moves to the new school.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of any changes that establish hard rules for transfer eligibility and eliminate the waiver process. The Shepard case was the tipping point for me.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm in favor of any changes that establish hard rules for transfer eligibility and eliminate the waiver process. The Shepard case was the tipping point for me.
Chartrice White and Brooke Kissinger transfers from Illinois did it for me.
This proposal IMO is dangerous because if you don't have to notify your school you are leaving what's the point. Some one will always have an open door welcoming even slightly unhappy players.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I imagine a lot of players would try to transfer IN. :cool:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Yeah, they'd get someone like Becky Hammon...plenty of recruits, the program would be righted and UConn would be scheduled.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

No, because Holly won't be fired at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Of course, while celebrating the partial (only when the coach leaves) liberation of the student-athlete, this act of non-liberation gets sneaked in:

That may actually be the main point of it all, to make something more egregious sound good by throwing a bone to students under special circumstances.

Right. It sounds like it wouldnt really change anything for the majority of athletes who want to or who do transfer, and in fact would make the overall situation worse by extending the sit-out year requirement to all sports!!! How is that an improvement??

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
That's not the it that I don't get. The it, is the overall impact of this proposal. Under this proposal the part where you had to "notify" your coach & school you are leaving would go away. If you don't have to notify your coach/school you are leaving you can end up anywhere -except you can't follow a coach to his new school. So if I'm a devious coach and I know I'm leaving and you want certain players you tell those players ahead of time to transfer to Big State U. Technically the players aren't following the coach, because the players are in place before the coach moves to the new school.
Given the scenario you described, If I, as the student athlete, were to "leave" before my current coach, I would have to sit out a year in residency. I think the NCAA would simultaneously look at that once the coach went to that school and would do a perfunctory investigation with a minimum the player sitting out the next year if they found no improprieties. Am I missing something?

Reaction Score

I agree. For the sports that have more of a business side to them, where the players might go on to play professionally, perhaps there is some reason for this, but to make a kid sit out a year in Cross Country or Water Polo is ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom