Proposal Recommendation | The Boneyard

Proposal Recommendation

C

Chief00

Chief and a friend will be proposing the following to the University soon and are willing to help implement ASAP.​
“We appreciate that there are junior college ( like our community colleges) players who are earnest about "getting an education", but the proper aim of their coursework is socializing them for functionality and competence in an adult world. UCONN needs to be able to accommodate these kids competently. Recruit them into a sure-thing degree path in Sports Management or Communications or General Studies or some such title, if they go the distance. UCONN made the decision to go Div 1. It bought into this reality. It needs a mature academic program for these kinds of transfers and freshmen. Our conscience would be clear - they would receive a tangible benefit for helping salvage a busted program. “

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
it sounds reasonable and quite frankly doable
but this is UConn and the there is the db DB
Bon Chance my friend

C

Chief00

it sounds reasonable and quite frankly doable
but this is UConn and the there is the db DB
Bon Chance my friend

Chief will focus on the reasonable and quite frankly doable. Got to get this done to compete with the Southern schools, who are light years ahead in this realm.

C

Chief00

There are those who do and those who? Chief tries to be in the former category.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Please propose it immediately! Only stipulation is you need to ask them to get their response notarized and then post it here.

Reaction Score
The Faculty Senate will be your most challenging barrier.
Indeed. Lowering their standards with training wheel degrees is not something they will embrace. Done well, though, with an earnest attempt to actually have them graduate with competitive skills, as opposed to the UNC ghost class degree path, could be innovative.

Reaction Score
Being a football player takes a lot of work and effort, there should be due consideration given to this within the pool of "diversity" type acceptances. A football player with the right intent (with the help of the institution) can be an academic success and a life success. I was never great in higher math so became an accountant, just needed to be able to add and subtract.
Just take reasonable steps.

Husky68 is with Chief00 on this. Chief00 set up a letter that can be signed by others and let's get this going. Don't want Suzy, Dave and HCRE2.0 to be able to hide their crappy leadership in football by using "UConn's" high academic standards. Tulane is a better school with a crappy little on campus stadium and has built a BOWL ELIGIBLE TEAM, it ain't that ****ing hard.

C

Chief00

I hope you don't write proposals for a living
Actually, I have done proposals for tens of millions of dollars, that have been approved and successfully implemented. What I shared was the problem and change in philosophy that is needed, the rest will flow from that. We are not proposing to change the light bulbs, rather a much needed change in culture. So the approach is different. I hope this helps you get up to speed.

C

Chief00

Indeed. Lowering their standards with training wheel degrees is not something they will embrace. Done well, though, with an earnest attempt to actually have them graduate with competitive skills, as opposed to the UNC ghost class degree path, could be innovative.

I think it’s looking at success in the Real World and aligning with that. Chief doesn’t think the optics have been good for the school having the worse defensive football team in NCAA history. We need some common sense balance. Viewing it as lowering the standards, is I think the wrong lens. Rather, as you say, the goal is making these young men polished and competitive when they get their piece of paper. It’s communication, how they present themselves and an official degree to go along with a work ethic and being ontime.
Is the goal to make the majority of them Rhodes or Shakespearean scholars - probably not. Rather, we need to transform JUCOs into productive men. If we have done that job, we have succeeded.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

In terms of strategy, the guiding principle to reiterate is UConn made a decision to go D1 football, invest in facilities, etc. However, the necessary accompanying academic support system was never effectively built. True, we added some tutors and monitoring but we never built the necessary curriculum foundation to be successful. We need that more wholistic academic approach.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I agree. Make the standards the same as other schools. I am tired of players not being qualified at UConn but at other BCS schools.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To quote Nike - "Just Do It."

Well done Chief. I spent 30+ years in public education and I can tell you this type of program is sorely needed.

Reaction Score
Actually, I have done proposals for tens of millions of dollars, that have been approved and successfully implemented. What I shared was the problem and change in philosophy that is needed, the rest will flow from that. We are not proposing to change the light bulbs, rather a much needed change in culture. So the approach is different. I hope this helps you get up to speed.
Well you put it in quotes and the writing is poor. I can coach you up if you want some help though.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I hope you don't write proposals for a living

You don’t have to write proposals for a living when you don’t have a boss. Chief makes the decisions in the corporate world.

C

Chief00

You don’t have to write proposals for a living when you don’t have a boss. Chief makes the decisions in the corporate world.
He doesn’t understand the first step - Scanning the landscape and preliminary high level scope. That’s how you frame the details that come later.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom