Promoting WCBB | The Boneyard

Promoting WCBB

Reaction Score
The thread on ESPN got me thinking about how WCBB is (and is not) promoted. First, ESPN has done a lot in airing games and advertising the "bigger" games. But it seems to me that they miss their opportunity to promote a product they have invested in even more.

First, why not have a Women's Basketball Show? Choose a reliable time and use the analysts they already have to spend a half hour or more each week discussing women's college and WNBA basketball. Fans would know when to tune in and you may catch some casual viewers as well. Give them stories, predictions, and analysis to draw them into the games. Doesn't have to be a great time slot as most people can DVR. But a favorable time slot with great clips may catch some new viewers. Website info is great, but TV time may get more viewers.

Second, encourage your commentators to stick to women's basketball as much as possible during games. Too often the commentators talk about men's BB or other sports during a game. It is like telling the viewer "Don't pay too much attention here - there are more interesting things to talk about!" Not productive (I, of course, excuse the inevitable promotion of other sports they are airing soon!) Personally I would like more technical analysis about different screens, defenses, etc. But during game time, I feel that many commentators could do a better job of following the game with enthusiasm when things are close and letting the game excitement do the selling. And if the game is out of hand, the discussion of womens BB and play analysis might give viewers a reason to stay tuned in. (OF course UConn fans stay regardless!)

Other ideas?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
The thread on ESPN got me thinking about how WCBB is (and is not) promoted. First, ESPN has done a lot in airing games and advertising the "bigger" games. But it seems to me that they miss their opportunity to promote a product they have invested in even more.

First, why not have a Women's Basketball Show? Choose a reliable time and use the analysts they already have to spend a half hour or more each week discussing women's college and WNBA basketball. Fans would know when to tune in and you may catch some casual viewers as well. Give them stories, predictions, and analysis to draw them into the games. Doesn't have to be a great time slot as most people can DVR. But a favorable time slot with great clips may catch some new viewers. Website info is great, but TV time may get more viewers.

Second, encourage your commentators to stick to women's basketball as much as possible during games. Too often the commentators talk about men's BB or other sports during a game. It is like telling the viewer "Don't pay too much attention here - there are more interesting things to talk about!" Not productive (I, of course, excuse the inevitable promotion of other sports they are airing soon!) Personally I would like more technical analysis about different screens, defenses, etc. But during game time, I feel that many commentators could do a better job of following the game with enthusiasm when things are close and letting the game excitement do the selling. And if the game is out of hand, the discussion of womens BB and play analysis might give viewers a reason to stay tuned in. (OF course UConn fans stay regardless!)

Other ideas?
It's ALL about the $$$$

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I fear we are showing our age when we talk about a WBB show. Nowadays it is all about the web and "Podcasts" and such. It wouldn't attract anyone but those who are already fans to watch it. Very sad state of affairs.

While I agree that commentators wander (how many threads have discussed this) - I don't think there is really all that much excessive talk about men's basketball. JMHO.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Other ideas?
I think it is more important to make sure to include a minute at least in every half hour of sportscenter on the WCBB news of the day, and to add a little into each men's broadcast and halftime show. The folks already watching the women's game are locked in customers, the ones watching the news and the men's games are potential new customers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, good point about the web drawing the younger set while only us oldies think TV first. But it is hard to promote WCBB to new fans on the web when it is mostly on the ESPNw site that male viewers who are not already fans of a woman's sport probably never see. I agree, it would be nice to get more highlights and info on the regular ESPN news and men's halftime shows.
BTW just rewatched the SC game with sound and I did admire that they stayed with the game. Even when Doris rambled, it was about one of the players or programs and not some of the other unrelated stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom