problem with hamilton | The Boneyard

problem with hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem with hamilton is that he doesn't have a single skillset that can lead to a defined role. As a coach, where do you put him on the floor. Seems to me, where ever he plays on the floor he is uncomfortable. He is always being beat defensively, and on offense always seems hurried and out of control. I think at this point in the season we need to reexamine our options and shot distributions for each player.

Gibbs, Purvis and Miller should get 8-10 shots a game.

Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun should get 5-7 shots a game

We need to run more set plays involving Miller. We need more passing and less dribbling. This prostyle offense doesn't work because we only have one player (Adams) that can beat his man off the dribble on a consistent basis against elite competition. Purvis can too, but he ususally gets out of control and commits a turnover, or gets a blocked layup because his arms are too short.

We should start a lineup of:
Adams
Gibbs
Purvis
Facey
Miller

Bench
Hamilton
Calhoun

I think adams could make life alot easier for gibbs and get him good looks. I can see Hamilton excel against the other teams bench and maybe this could increase his confidence. He really needs to get out of this funk and plus we need a boost from our bench.

Reaction Score
He needs to take a page out of Rip Hamilton's book and learn how to move without the ball. I'm not crazy about him playing point this much. Most of the time his offense is going 1 on 5 or pulling up for a long 3.

Reaction Score
I agree with the 5. I think we have Adams play true PG and start Brimah over Facey when he returns.

Or let Hamilton play the 1 for stretches. Most of it is a result we didn't know until now just how bad of a shooter Adams is. So really need him to distribute to Purvis and Gibbs.

The problem with hamilton is that he doesn't have a single skillset that can lead to a defined role. As a coach, where do you put him on the floor. Seems to me, where ever he plays on the floor he is uncomfortable. He is always being beat defensively, and on offense always seems hurried and out of control. I think at this point in the season we need to reexamine our options and shot distributions for each player.

Gibbs, Purvis and Miller should get 8-10 shots a game.

Adams, Hamilton, Calhoun should get 5-7 shots a game

We need to run more set plays involving Miller. We need more passing and less dribbling. This prostyle offense doesn't work because we only have one player (Adams) that can beat his man off the dribble on a consistent basis against elite competition. Purvis can too, but he ususally gets out of control and commits a turnover, or gets a blocked layup because his arms are too short.

We should start a lineup of:
Adams
Gibbs
Purvis
Facey
Miller

Bench
Hamilton
Calhoun

I think adams could make life alot easier for gibbs and get him good looks. I can see Hamilton excel against the other teams bench and maybe this could increase his confidence. He really needs to get out of this funk and plus we need a boost from our bench.

Reaction Score
I agree with the 5. I think we have Adams play true PG and start Brimah over Facey when he returns.

Or let Hamilton play the 1 for stretches. Most of it is a result we didn't know until now just how bad of a shooter Adams is. So really need him to distribute to Purvis and Gibbs.

2 things we need.
1. Scoring from our bench
2. Hamilton needs to find his comfort zone.

Benching hamilton, will help in both those areas. This also allows Ollie to plan hamilton's attack more precisely. We can plug him at the 2 or the 4 depending on matchups. Either way, hamilton will dominate any American conf team's bench.

Reaction Score
2 things we need.
1. Scoring from our bench
2. Hamilton needs to find his comfort zone.

Benching hamilton, will help in both those areas. This also allows Ollie to plan hamilton's attack more precisely. We can plug him at the 2 or the 4 depending on matchups. Either way, hamilton will dominate any American conf team's bench.
Sure bench the guy who leads our team in rebounds and assists, is the only guy who can effectively penetrate and beat his man off the dribble, and was shooting 45% from the field before the last 3 games. Makes a heck of a lot of sense.

But hey people made threads for weeks saying Adams should take Gibbs minuets, which was and has proven to be completely foolish, so why not get another foolish idea going around.

Reaction Score
I have no problem having DHam come off the bench for a game or 2. How long do we keep letting him shoot brick after brick. Do we let him keep shooting to try and break out? It doesn't mean he would play less but its a message sent you cant shoot 6 for 36 and continue to have a green light. He cant shoot 7 threes when he's clearly off. He should never shoot 7 three even when hes not in a shooting slump. That's not his game.

There are other ways DHam can help us while in a slump, especially against a zone. Have him find the open spots for an actual open look or pass. Crash the offensive boards. He's one of the best defensive rebounders in the country so we need him to play but coming off the bench until he finds his shot doesn't bother me.

Ollie needs to take the ball out of his hands on O and try and find open looks for him to break out. Can't continue to let him drive and force shots or turn it over.

Reaction Score
He's our best rebounder and passer. Sending him to the bench is like benching three players - someone else has to rebound, someone else has to set people up, someone else has to create in late shot clock situations.

He's in a dreadful shooting slump, obviously, but we don't break down defenses nearly as easily without him. And we won't ever get transition points since our bigs don't throw outlets.

He's just got to play though it and come out of it. Plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I have no problem having DHam come off the bench for a game or 2. How long do we keep letting him shoot brick after brick. Do we let him keep shooting to try and break out? It doesn't mean he would play less but its a message sent you cant shoot 6 for 36 and continue to have a green light. He cant shoot 7 threes when he's clearly off. He should never shoot 7 three even when hes not in a shooting slump. That's not his game.

There are other ways DHam can help us while in a slump, especially against a zone. Have him find the open spots for an actual open look or pass. Crash the offensive boards. He's one of the best defensive rebounders in the country so we need him to play but coming off the bench until he finds his shot doesn't bother me.

Ollie needs to take the ball out of his hands on O and try and find open looks for him to break out. Can't continue to let him drive and force shots or turn it over.
The 3s are the issue, your comment that he should not be shooting 7 3s even when is not in a slump is spot on.

Benching him makes no sense, too much he does well, especially in areas where others struggle, to take any minuets away from him, but Ollie needs to coach him better. He needs to get the 3s down, he needs to force him to penetrate, he needs to use him as a facilitator more. The shots in the paint will start falling again, slumps happen, but jacking 3s for an average (being kind) 3 point shooter is not how you get out of that slump.

There are very few players over the last 2 years who have being able to guard him off the dribble, needs to take advantage of that and drive and dish or drive and get fouled, not step back or transition 3s.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Sure bench the guy who leads our team in rebounds and assists, is the only guy who can effectively penetrate and beat his man off the dribble, and was shooting 45% from the field before the last 3 games. Makes a heck of a lot of sense.

But hey people made threads for weeks saying Adams should take Gibbs minuets, which was and has proven to be completely foolish, so why not get another foolish idea going around.
Hamilton's ability to penetrate is vastly overrated.

He rarely actually gets by his man. More often, he ends up backing his man down once he reaches the free throw line, and if the lob to the big isn't available, he's forced to take an off balance shot.

This team is sorely lacking in penetration ability, which is why all the turnovers and desperation threes.

Reaction Score
He seems to never be set anymore when he shoots from 3. He's got one foot in front of the other and he's moving. The rest is just a slump, from my view. Mechanics of shooting the 3, on the other hand, "need addressed."

Reaction Score
Hamilton's ability to penetrate is vastly overrated.

He rarely actually gets by his man. More often, he ends up backing his man down once he reaches the free throw line, and if the lob to the big isn't available, he's forced to take an off balance shot.

This team is sorely lacking in penetration ability, which is why all the turnovers and desperation threes.
You may think it is overrated, but it is still better than anyone else on the team. Purvis is 2nd but cant finish and cant make free throws so it doesn't matter.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You may think it is overrated, but it is still better than anyone else on the team. Purvis is 2nd but cant finish and cant make free throws so it doesn't matter.
Adams is the best on the team, but he's a freshman, so he doesn't always make the right play once he gets by his guy.

I thought Gibbs was going to be a guy we could count on for consistent penetration, but he just doesn't have that explosive first step or the ability to change speeds.

Purvis has a pretty good first step, but once he gets going, he's a runaway freight train who can neither change speeds or direction.

Which leads us to Hamilton. He's got decent handle for his size, which makes him look great against low major defenders, but he's not getting by quicker, stronger defenders in league play.

Why do you think we're so bad at scoring using pick and rolls? We don't have the penetration ability in any of our guys, that's why.

Ollie needs to change the offensive approach.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
DHam has one undenible talent: rebounding. He needs to put on twenty lbs and become a tweener like the player formerly known as Ron Artest.

Reaction Score
OK, HERE'S MY 2 CENTS:
It's his shot selection and indecisiveness. This is where COACHING comes into play, and I'm really hoping Ollie figures it out by Sunday.

To me the solution to this problem is getting Hamilton some fast break points early to jump-start his confidence. The issue with this is he grabs the majority of our defense rebounds, so he can't get ahead of the defense and into the open floor by the time he corrals the board. I thought early on in the Tulsa game Miller was doing a fantastic job with defensive rebounding. Both him and Facey could & should be able to anchor the defensive boards, allowing Hamilton to get into the fast break.

Enough throwing up prayers with off-the-dribble isolation, and enough throwing up contested 3s late in the shot clock. Get to the rim in the fast break. We have to assume teams are going to be throwing a lot of zone at us in the future...so GET INTO THE FAST BREAK! What happened to the old run and gun Uconn strategy. I miss that, and this is where Hamilton can find a niche and gain his confidence back.

Reaction Score
This team just seems like a bunch of puzzle pieces that don't fit together. Gibbs is forced to be more on the ball pg, when he'd do better as an off guard. Purvis is in a similar situation but he is expected to drive more even though he is still out of control (but still good scorer) like a soph/Jr dyson. Hamilton I think would do better posting up more so he doesn't have to dribble as much. That way he could make one move and shoot, or be our only "big" able to make outlet passes, which would be a strength of his. No real complaints about miller, and our rotation at C is what it is until brimah is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom