Probation for champs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Probation for champs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What I mean is - the other coaches all saw her sitting with the parents. If she thought it was that "serious" of a violation, I don't think this would be the place to do it.
she used her "mommie cap" for the game... the ethical thing would have been to sit with the coaches just so she wouldnt hear them bitch & moan about it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
she used her "mommie cap" for the game... the ethical thing would have been to sit with the coaches just so she wouldnt hear them bitch & moan about it.
And to avoid not just impropriety but even the appearance of impropriety. A very old standard with its roots in the law and even scripture in 1 Thessalonians.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Actually, the self imposed penalties were put into place before this season - note the other bans of phone calls, etc. This was just the NCAA's stamp of "approval" of the punishments.
Thanks, I don't think that was made clear, or I missed it.

Reaction Score
So that easttexas won't be your only Baylor voice on the Boneyard, I'll be commenting soon. Not much new, but maybe a few insights into the the Mulkey part of all of this.

However, my Dean doesn't like it if I dismiss class so that I can post on a chat board, but I AM heading to the airport this afternoon and should have some time to think/post.

You guys are very much sane and fair. commendably so. there's nothing good about any of this from Baylor's perspective. But, there are ways to look for the "it's not as bad . . . " angle.

And, I don't have any interest in dabbling in the men's side. That whole Scott Drew thing is a completely different business than what Kim tries to run.

See you later this afternoon or this evening. If you got questions, I'll be glad to enter the good-natured banter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So that easttexas won't be your only Baylor voice on the Boneyard, I'll be commenting soon. Not much new, but maybe a few insights into the the Mulkey part of all of this.

However, my Dean doesn't like it if I dismiss class so that I can post on a chat board, but I AM heading to the airport this afternoon and should have some time to think/post.

You guys are very much sane and fair. commendably so. there's nothing good about any of this from Baylor's perspective. But, there are ways to look for the "it's not as bad . . . " angle.

And, I don't have any interest in dabbling in the men's side. That whole Scott Drew thing is a completely different business than what Kim tries to run.

See you later this afternoon or this evening. If you got questions, I'll be glad to enter the good-natured banter.
Banter away. :)

Reaction Score
Just for the record, I am not a Texas Tech fan, and I have never been to Lubbock in my life. I am a WBB fan. Our family has attended games at Baylor, UT in Austin, A&M, TCU, Oklahoma, and LSU. And we also are fans of the Silver Stars. I chose the name HelloKitty because my daughter is a fan; I had no idea that Texas Tech sold HelloKitty merchanadise.

I chose to post the things I knew about Baylor's connection with DFW Elite on this board because, after reading here for a number of years, I have a great deal of respect for this fan base based on their knowledge of all things WBB, and also their objectivity on most topics. My information was relevant, and at the time, largely unknown by fans outside of Texas. Had I known that Mechelle Voepel would report thoroughly about the same topic, I might not have bothered.

ETT, it might interest you to know that I was thrilled when Baylor won their 2005 Championship. This year, I must confess, I was rooting for Stanford. I have great admiration for the Ogwumike sisters, a couple of great Texas kids, and this was Nneka's last opportunity.

Also, I don't buy the argument that Griner's committment predating most of the infractions, makes them irrelevant. Kids are recruits until they sign LOI's. Many of them change their minds. Griner was very raw when she committed to Baylor, and had not played club ball on the national scene until she was in high school. Do you really believe other coaches didn't try to recruit her after they saw how great she was becoming? Mulkey having that extra time with the Griner family certainly couldn't have hurt Baylor's chances of keeping her committed. I think Baylor was a great fit for Griner, and I doubt she would have wavered, but rules are not situation specific. They have to be broad enough to protect kids in all situations.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks for clearing the air Kitty... we believe you!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also, I don't buy the argument that Griner's committment predating most of the infractions, makes them irrelevant. Kids are recruits until they sign LOI's. Many of them change their minds. Griner was very raw when she committed to Baylor, and had not played club ball on the national scene until she was in high school. Do you really believe other coaches didn't try to recruit her after they saw how great she was becoming? Mulkey having that extra time with the Griner family certainly couldn't have hurt Baylor's chances of keeping her committed. I think Baylor was a great fit for Griner, and I doubt she would have wavered, but rules are not situation specific. They have to be broad enough to protect kids in all situations.

Kitty, I agree. The early commitment itself is suspicious and odd in WCBB (although increasing) but the ongoing contact by KM certainly helped to keep BG close. Geno, specifically, tells kids to take their time and to check out all their options before committing to UConn. Your observations have been fair and excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom