Pro tempore quiz | The Boneyard

Pro tempore quiz

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The familar remember no research, no politics, no hitting "reply".
  1. First network soap opera "Faraway Hill" begins broadcasting in October, 1946 on the ______ Television Network.
  2. First ________ _______ was manufactured and sold in 1946 for $39.50.
  3. Who scored from 1st on a single in World Series?
  4. In 1951 Jaroslav Drobny beats Eric Sturgess in the ____ Men's ______ Championship.
  5. What justification was used to execute Joan of Arc?
  6. Succinctly explain the the Cherokee Trail of Tears.
  7. Why is Alan Turing's "On Computable Numbers" important?
  8. The publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus in 1753 is the formal start date of _____ ________ adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
  9. On January 1, 45 BC the ______ ________ takes effect for the first time.
  10. In 1758 the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature established the "starting point" for standardized species names across the animal kingdom, based on the binomial nomenclature by _______ ________' 10th edition of Systema Naturae. Or simply ____ ________
  11. In 1863 Emancipation Proclamation issued by Abraham Lincoln freed slaves in __ ___________ ______.
  12. Who announced his/her discovery of x-rays?
  13. In 1122 _________ __ _____ was agreed to by Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V.
  14. Succinctly who is Herman Hollerith?
  15. Who orders US troops to support integration of nine black students at Little Rock Central High School in Arkansas?

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Lots of guesses

1. ABC
2. Automatic dishwasher
3. French Open
4. I think it had to do with her dressing as a man.
8. Julian calendar
12. Marie Curee

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah. Finally, I can contribute. A few science questions.

7. Turing's theorem basically said that under certain rules of logic, it can be proven that not every mathematical statement can be decided as true or false. Extra Credit. This was completely at odds with the positivist attitude and belief by David Hilbert (Greatest 20th century mathematician) that every question has an answer.

12. Not Curee (or Curie ;)) but Roentgen (although basically by accident)

14. Inventor of the punch card computer system to improve the efficiency of inputting programs into a computer

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
7. Turing's theorem basically said that under certain rules of logic, it can be proven that not every mathematical statement can be decided as true or false. Extra Credit. This was completely at odds with the positivist attitude and belief by David Hilbert (Greatest 20th century mathematician) that every question has an answer.

Perhaps you are thinking of Kurt Gödel.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
11. The Civil War

15. President Eisenhower

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Uurgh. I think your are right. In the spirit of the quizzes, cant check on google.
Since I am not laboring under the same constraint. See

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since I am not laboring under the same constraint. See

So what the heck did Turing do?? I am sure he is somehow connected to undesidability theorems although I think his proofs are very different than Godel and uses his super weird construction of a Turing Machine. Oh, now that I am thinking of it, I think he used this concept to show that their are computer constructions that cant be decided or something like that.

I never liked Logic Theory anyway. As ugly a math discipline as I can imagine.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
3. Enos Slaughter. St. Louis Cardinals
5. I'm thinking Heresy.
6. Removal of Cherokee nation (and a few others, Seminole??) from Southeast (FL, GA) to the West (mainly OK). Many, many died on the "forced" march.
11. All Confederate States. Basically it did nothing since the Confederate States weren't following Union laws anyway at the time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
6 If I remember correctly, it was because the Cherokees had sided with the Confederacy.

Reaction Score
The familar remember no research, no politics, no hitting "reply".
  1. First network soap opera "Faraway Hill" begins broadcasting in October, 1946 on the ______ Television Network.
  2. First ________ _______ was manufactured and sold in 1946 for $39.50.
  3. Who scored from 1st on a single in World Series?
  4. In 1951 Jaroslav Drobny beats Eric Sturgess in the ____ Men's ______ Championship.
  5. What justification was used to execute Joan of Arc?
  6. Succinctly explain the the Cherokee Trail of Tears.
  7. Why is Alan Turing's "On Computable Numbers" important?
  8. The publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus in 1753 is the formal start date of _____ ________ adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
  9. On January 1, 45 BC the ______ ________ takes effect for the first time.
  10. In 1758 the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature established the "starting point" for standardized species names across the animal kingdom, based on the binomial nomenclature by _______ ________' 10th edition of Systema Naturae. Or simply ____ ________
  11. In 1863 Emancipation Proclamation issued by Abraham Lincoln freed slaves in __ ___________ ______.
  12. Who announced his/her discovery of x-rays?
  13. In 1122 _________ __ _____ was agreed to by Pope Calixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V.
  14. Succinctly who is Herman Hollerith?
  15. Who orders US troops to support integration of nine black students at Little Rock Central High School in Arkansas?
5. for wearing mens clothes (?)

6. Forced Relocation of southeastern tribes by the Indian Relocation Act under Andy Jackson. Real Estate investors were heavily involved. (???) The trail of tears refers to the forced hike under guard to the Oklahoma territories, many died on the march.

9. Julian Calendar (???)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think SVC must have posted this after I checked in yesterday.

2. Microwave oven
3. Jacoby Ellsbury?
6. The tribe was forcibly relocated further and further from their home territory, to poorer and poorer land
9. The Julian calendar
10 Carolus Linnaeus (from clue #8), genus species
11. The Confederate States
12. Roentgen
14. Developer of punch cards (the bane of some of us of a certain age)
15. Eisenhower

Thanks for putting this together, SVC.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
3. Jacoby Ellsbury?
Hmmmm! Wasn't he on third base and scored on a wild pitch? In any case I should have said "in 1946 World Series." Darn novice test creators!

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom