pretty good article from dez on recruiting | The Boneyard

pretty good article from dez on recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Good stuff thanks for the link. Marinelli sounds like a knucklehead. Disappointed about how PPGDL were treated? Is he joking? How about how they eviscerated a decent football program in record time? What a tool.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, those Marinelli sour-puss quotes are from a few months ago when PP/GDL were let go. Only a fool would think that those two clowns were "good" for Connecticut football. In less than three years, they completely reversed any positive momentum UCONN had after it got to the Fiesta Bowl.

Uniting the high school coaches is important. I would love to see a united Connecticut football front. It's also important to have presence in all New England states as well as NJ and PA.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after this to go throw-up in my garbage can, cripes, NC has a good HS football program, but their coach needs to stick to HS football and stop telling people how to run a college team.

"And I don't know, maybe I'm a little bit jaded because of Paul and George [DeLeone being let go four games into last season]," Marinelli said. "It still hurts to see how two genuine men who loved Connecticut football got treated."

At least Hand's coach is a bit more supportive and appears to have less of an ego to bruise.

"If we're team players, we should all be on the same team here," Filippone said. "Build football in the state of Connecticut with UConn being the flagship. We ought to be eagerly participating and trying to get the best kids to UConn, encouraging them to be there, and I think that's what our job is as high school coaches. We should all be deputized as salespeople for the University of Connecticut football program. When we've got a kid who can play, we've got to start talking to him early on about UConn."

Reaction Score
"The new staff is in constant contact, but the previous staff wasn't present enough with [Outlow]," Davis said. "And one of the concerns was, being only 35 minutes away, they could have been down here talking to him. There was a change at BC and as soon as that change happened, [BC] were down here recruiting immediately."

Dadgummit it's as if the salt in the wounds never stop from those 2 clowns.

HFD if you're reading, #uptick my arse.

Reaction Score
Our coaches are doing the right thing. I don't care about the broken record from NC but he does wrong by his kids spreading those sour grapes around.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The bulk of the responses from current CT HS coaches (Marinelli excepted) are all well and good but the day one has a kid who does well at the HS level but does not belong in a competitive D1 environment is not offered a scholarship at UConn I want to see what they have to say.

Reaction Score
I stopped reading after this to go throw-up in my garbage can, cripes, NC has a good HS football program, but their coach needs to stick to HS football and stop telling people how to run a college team.

"And I don't know, maybe I'm a little bit jaded because of Paul and George [DeLeone being let go four games into last season]," Marinelli said. "It still hurts to see how two genuine men who loved Connecticut football got treated."

At least Hand's coach is a bit more supportive and appears to have less of an ego to bruise.

"If we're team players, we should all be on the same team here," Filippone said. "Build football in the state of Connecticut with UConn being the flagship. We ought to be eagerly participating and trying to get the best kids to UConn, encouraging them to be there, and I think that's what our job is as high school coaches. We should all be deputized as salespeople for the University of Connecticut football program. When we've got a kid who can play, we've got to start talking to him early on about UConn."

Lou, damn it. Knock off the crap. You live in a town and county of high achievers. Many of their kids play for you. Ask any of them what happens to two-million-a-year managers who consistently fail to "make their numbers." How long was WM supposed to keep throwing money into an East Hartford sewer? You are acting like a damn child. Grow "k up! PP was not coaching high School.

Moreover, don't allow irrational crap to taint your player's views of fine University. They deserve better. You are way out-of-line. Loyalty is fine. You're being plain-ass dumb.

We will now return to the rant-free Fairtides.

Reaction Score
Oh man, please tell me those Marinelli quotes are old. Lost a ton of respect for him.

Reaction Score
Marinelli sounds like a headcase, the decision to chose a school comes from the kid, not the coach. Absurd. it just comes down to winning, until then, we'll always lose the top CT kids to bigger programs.

I'm always amazed at how self absorbed these high school coaches are, they are the ones seeking attention to themselves when a kid gets the spot light.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When P and GDL were fired...Marinelli, Fillipone, and Petroccio were all quoted slamming UCONN, Warde, and the program. Fillipone even went so far as to talk about the new head coach and staff having to work extra hard to earn his respect. Marinelli was on his soap box about UCONN not recruiting/showing respect to his players, Petroccio said similar things. Now Fillipone has done a 180 degree turn around (I'm sure his conversations with Matt Walsh have helped). Marinelli...that pompous a**hole can go screw!!! As a coach he can't even hold a candle to Xavier's Marinan (hasn't produced as many 1A kids either) or Ansonia's Brockett. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that ANY of you Marinelli homers can say now to defend what he said to Dez. What an a** clown!!!

Reaction Score
These Marinelli quotes have to be months old. I remember thinking that his comments were so egregious that even that idiot DeMauro got it right and slammed him. No way he doubled down on stupid.

Reaction Score
These Marinelli quotes have to be months old. I remember thinking that his comments were so egregious that even that idiot DeMauro got it right and slammed him. No way he doubled down on stupid.
Jimmy if I was gonna bet on the double down stupid...I would go ALL IN!!!!

Reaction Score

Context seems to indicate that they're recent. If not, Dez is stirring up old crap. Whatever/whenever, given the status of the program, at the time, Lou's comments make no sense. Hell, they're intellectually ridiculous. And, as FDNY99 says, indefensible. He seems to be grinding on a very big axe and, in reality, he's not doing PPGDL any favors, either.

Reaction Score
Context seems to indicate that they're recent. If not, Dez is stirring up old crap. Whatever/whenever, given the status of the program, at the time, Lou's comments make no sense. Hell, they're intellectually ridiculous. And, as FDNY99 says, indefensible. He seems to be grinding on a very big axe and, in reality, he's not doing PPGDL any favors, either.
This is old stuff, pulled material from other articles, combines and passes off as new. Will camps start soon?

Reaction Score
When P and GDL were fired...Marinelli, Fillipone, and Petroccio were all quoted slamming UCONN, Warde, and the program. Fillipone even went so far as to talk about the new head coach and staff having to work extra hard to earn his respect. Marinelli was on his soap box about UCONN not recruiting/showing respect to his players, Petroccio said similar things. Now Fillipone has done a 180 degree turn around (I'm sure his conversations with Matt Walsh have helped). Marinelli...that pompous a**hole can go screw!!! As a coach he can't even hold a candle to Xavier's Marinan (hasn't produced as many 1A kids either) or Ansonia's Brockett. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that ANY of you Marinelli homers can say now to defend what he said to Dez. What an a** clown!!!

Marinan isn't much better.

The ego of some high school coaches is embarrassing. You are there as a resource for your players in regards to recruiting. Your job is not to tell them where to go.

Reaction Score
I can tell you with certainty that Fairfield Prep knows PP and GDL screwed up. They were hoping it would be a retirement job but their arrogance got the best of them.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

I could be wrong but I think that Marinelli just hates UConn and views his D-1 capable football players as being above our little school in Storrs. The P-GDL thing is now merely an excuse he can run up the flagpole when asked about the school.

Reaction Score
how can you say theyre doing the right thing with no commits to this class and a total strike out of any kind in Mass/CT worth a D1 offer ?

Regarding outreach to CT High School Coaches, AD's, Athletes. How things are going on the trail given our situation and their philosophy has yet to be determined.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
how can you say theyre doing the right thing with no commits to this class and a total strike out of any kind in Mass/CT worth a D1 offer ?
That is a fair point Mr Marinelli.

Reaction Score
There's a couple of things I wish the article expanded on.

Early in the article, it quotes the NFA coach saying UConn (under Pasqualoni) didn't show much interest in Marcus Outlow until later in the recruiting process. Later the article mentions how Pasqualoni had state ties and built in relationships with HS coaches. Why not raise the question of why PP & staff were not involved with a recruit like Outlow much earlier?

Also, the article mentions how Marinelli wasn't happy that Diaco didn't attend a coaching clinic in February. Diaco claims he was told the clinic was cancelled due to the weather. Was there bad weather that day? Did the clinic organizers discuss cancelling/postponing it?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Diaco owes these jokers jack squat. It's like the HS coaches think CT HS football is a hotbed. Newsflash: it ain't. Imagine if Calhoun and now Ollie concentrated disproportionally on CT HS for recruits? Zero nat'l championships.

Reaction Score
A+ work here from Desmond. These are the type of articles I want to see about UConn in the off season. Addresses an issue without being overly negative and actually creates a positive image of the program.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0608-20140607,0,5002537.story

much better than the "B1G should've taken us" articles
Are you Desmond's mother? He is not a UConn supporter.
A+ work here from Desmond. These are the type of articles I want to see about UConn in the off season. Addresses an issue without being overly negative and actually creates a positive image of the program.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0608-20140607,0,5002537.story

much better than the "B1G should've taken us" articles
Desmond, I believe, was one of the last one's to jump off the sinking ship captained by former HCPP. He really has lost most of his credibility with his reporting over the past 3 seasons. I don't believe that most UConn fans read his columns anymore, as those who make comments following interesting articles have basically gone away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a fairly sad state of affairs when the lead beat writer for the flagship paper in the state is still referring to the BCS and no one in the editing process fixes it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If those two idiots loved Connecticut football they would have resigned halfway through their first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom