Pressure on NCAA to let athletes cash in | The Boneyard

Pressure on NCAA to let athletes cash in

Reaction Score
For 2022 recruits it looks like Hurley & Co. are going to ultimately need to promote a marketing capability to line up compliant opportunities. Will take some doing to perfect the pitch in comparison to other schools. Having ESPN close by may end up in some kind of advantage. Bristol headquarters and recruiting a local Bristol kid must have some synergy. They will need 'big' deals for top recruits and car wash promotionals even for guys on the bench. Interesting thought that it might work out keeping kids in school longer if they have some income. Could even tie them to the schools and lessen the number of transfers if they have some income they might be walking away from with only the speculative opportunities of the next stop. Glad I don't have to figure this out and translate it to recruiting. Whew that Hurley hired Murray vs me. I dodged a bullet there. :cool:

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
For 2022 recruits it looks like Hurley & Co. are going to ultimately need to promote a marketing capability to line up compliant opportunities. Will take some doing to perfect the pitch in comparison to other schools. Having ESPN close by may end up in some kind of advantage. Bristol headquarters and recruiting a local Bristol kid must have some synergy. They will need 'big' deals for top recruits and car wash promotionals even for guys on the bench. Interesting thought that it might work out keeping kids in school longer if they have some income. Could even tie them to the schools and lessen the number of transfers if they have some income they might be walking away from with only the speculative opportunities of the next stop. Glad I don't have to figure this out and translate it to recruiting. Whew that Hurley hired Murray vs me. I dodged a bullet there. :cool:
Having ESPN nearby has done nothing for UConn, and ESPN has a vested interest in promoting conferences (and now players in those conferences) to the best of their ability. The Big East is not included in that group of conferences. As an example, two years ago I believe, ESPN did an article previewing the women's basketball season and there was NO mention of UConn. Not even one. ESPN's proximity is a non-issue here.

I have a feeling this new position, which is at Duquesne, will be the new norm at larger schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't want to derail the content of this thread to make it about ESPN, but the interest in sports broadcasting after a sports career and the proximity to ESPN did play a part with Maya Moore that led to the arranged ESPN tour and the secondary violation reported by Tennessee. She wanted to intern there and was a pretty good player for the program. On the men's side Donny Marshall, Khalid El-Amin, and Tate George, have been broadcasters, and Rebecca Lobo, Swin Cash, Meghan Pattyson, Kara Wolters, Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery, and others have gone into broadcasting. Many with gigs at ESPN. That is off the top of my head. I don't see how UConn's proximity and connections with ESPN can be chalked up as a zero across the board.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
I don't want to derail the content of this thread to make it about ESPN, but the interest in sports broadcasting after a sports career and the proximity to ESPN did play a part with Maya Moore that led to the arranged ESPN tour and the secondary violation reported by Tennessee. She wanted to intern there and was a pretty good player for the program. On the men's side Donny Marshall, Khalid El-Amin, and Tate George, have been broadcasters, and Rebecca Lobo, Swin Cash, Meghan Pattyson, Kara Wolters, Sue Bird, Renee Montgomery, and others have gone into broadcasting. Many with gigs at ESPN. That is off the top of my head. I don't see how UConn's proximity and connections with ESPN can be chalked up as a zero across the board.
Agree with what you said - but that was all before realignment. Different world now.

Reaction Score
Do UConn fans have the $$ to compete with used car salesman in Bloomington, Illinois?

No?

Well then--good luck with recruiting. Not that this hasn't gone on under the table anyway but--the floodgates are now open.

If you ask me, this is a putrid chapter in college sports history, and what I'm really saying is that the money doled out will have absolutely little to do with a player's marketability or advertising pull in any given market, but rather it has more to do with boosters and their egos.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do UConn fans have the $$ to compete with used car salesman in Bloomington, Illinois?

No?

Well then--good luck with recruiting. Not that this hasn't gone on under the table anyway but--the floodgates are now open.

If you ask me, this is a putrid chapter in college sports history, and what I'm really saying is that the money doled out will have absolutely little to do with a player's marketability or advertising pull in any given market, but rather it has more to do with boosters and their egos.

UConn fans have the means to do this, they just don't have the desire.

Reaction Score
Let's get Clingan in every Bob's commercial for the next 5 years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ESPN funded the raids that destroyed the BE conference. They could have put the UConn in ACC with a word. They aren't our friends.

Reaction Score
Can espn being a network that hosts games and pays conferences pay players on specific teams with endorsements? That would seem like a conflict of interest and I doubt they would be allowed to do it.

Reaction Score
We're watching the NCAA's influence, power and leverage diminish before our eyes. It needs federal help to implement NIL. Whether or not it gets it, states' NIL laws will supersede whatever the NCAA has in place -- at least for a period of time.

In essence, the NCAA is losing its grip on what made it the NCAA: oversight of the collegiate amateurism model.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom