Preseason Thoughts | The Boneyard

Preseason Thoughts

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I figured this is the best use of my 1000th post (many more posts under my former handle Mapper).

Regarding recruiting classes: I believe we have the best back-to-back recruiting classes in our history, now that Fudd is on board. They are both large classes, combining quality with quantity. Historically large classes have been good and bad; I believe there was too much overlap of positions in the Walker class. These athletes were born to compete, but basketball succeeds to the extent that a team meshes together. Players of one class competing with players of another class for the same role = good. More than two people of the same class competing for the same role = a hit to chemistry. I am confident that the current freshman class will be great, with none transferring (a couple may leave early).

Regarding the starting line-up: The advantage of Bueckers being in the line-up will provide Muhl more opportunity to contribute. I thought an advantage of Bueckers not starting would be bringing her and Edwards in together; Bueckers subbing for a physically subpar Westbrook, Edwards for whoever is performing subpar in the opening minutes. I like the idea of allowing as much chemistry to develop between Bueckers and Edwards as possible. However, I also like increased opportunities for Bueckers and Muhl to be on the court at the same time as well.

Regarding the "four:" Out of the four guards starting I favor Makurat at the four. The implications are for defense mainly, though with Makurat's vision she probably would work better in a high/low with ONO. Makurat is taller than Westbrook and, more importantly, was praised by Auriemma for her strength. Contrast that with Westbrook's tender knee and I rather have Makurat battling down low. Also, reports are that Westbrook is a better, more aggressive defender than Makurat, and perimeter defense requires that.

Regarding the subs: Of course Griffin and Edwards would be better down low than either Westbrook or Makurat, but I do see a Havlicek type advantage for having Griffin coming in off the bench. Consider that Griffin, Edwards, McLean and Muhl are all known to be high energy players. I can see the starters as providing the stability and predictability that Auriemma desires, followed by subs that may cause Auriemma to rub his hair a few times, but will cause opposing coaches to lose theirs.

Regarding best freshman season: Yes, Moore had the best freshman season, hands down. Yet I'll reiterate for the hundredth time she WAS NOT the only freshman that was college ready right from the start. Rizzotti led the team from day one and had her second best statistical season as a freshman. Her best season was as a senior when she won POY. In fact, I would dub Rizzotti the best freshman season for leadership. Of course, the best freshman tournament performance was Stewart. Moore may have had the best freshman season out of all of WCBB; Stewart had the best freshman tournament out of all of WCBB. Aren't we lucky! I think Bueckers ends up being a "jack of all trades." Not quite the complete season as Moore, but a good one. Not quite the tournament success of Stewart, but a good one. Not quite the leader of Rizzotti, but a good one. I do believe she will surpass Rizzotti as a leader throughout her career.

Forecast: Had this been a normal season I would have liked our chances for a Championship despite our youth. The talent is there and I get the feeling the chemistry will be the best in years. However, one of Auriemma's strengths as a teacher is compromised by the nature of the season. I am not certain he will have enough teachable moments from games to bring them all the way to where they need to be at the end of the season. I still predict a Final Four, however.

Let the games begin!!!!

Reaction Score
I figured this is the best use of my 1000th post (many more posts under my former handle Mapper).

Regarding recruiting classes: I believe we have the best back-to-back recruiting classes in our history, now that Fudd is on board. They are both large classes, combining quality with quantity. Historically large classes have been good and bad; I believe there was too much overlap of positions in the Walker class. These athletes were born to compete, but basketball succeeds to the extent that a team meshes together. Players of one class competing with players of another class for the same role = good. More than two people of the same class competing for the same role = a hit to chemistry. I am confident that the current freshman class will be great, with none transferring (a couple may leave early).

Regarding the starting line-up: The advantage of Bueckers being in the line-up will provide Muhl more opportunity to contribute. I thought an advantage of Bueckers not starting would be bringing her and Edwards in together; Bueckers subbing for a physically subpar Westbrook, Edwards for whoever is performing subpar in the opening minutes. I like the idea of allowing as much chemistry to develop between Bueckers and Edwards as possible. However, I also like increased opportunities for Bueckers and Muhl to be on the court at the same time as well.

Regarding the "four:" Out of the four guards starting I favor Makurat at the four. The implications are for defense mainly, though with Makurat's vision she probably would work better in a high/low with ONO. Makurat is taller than Westbrook and, more importantly, was praised by Auriemma for her strength. Contrast that with Westbrook's tender knee and I rather have Makurat battling down low. Also, reports are that Westbrook is a better, more aggressive defender than Makurat, and perimeter defense requires that.

Regarding the subs: Of course Griffin and Edwards would be better down low than either Westbrook or Makurat, but I do see a Havlicek type advantage for having Griffin coming in off the bench. Consider that Griffin, Edwards, McLean and Muhl are all known to be high energy players. I can see the starters as providing the stability and predictability that Auriemma desires, followed by subs that may cause Auriemma to rub his hair a few times, but will cause opposing coaches to lose theirs.

Regarding best freshman season: Yes, Moore had the best freshman season, hands down. Yet I'll reiterate for the hundredth time she WAS NOT the only freshman that was college ready right from the start. Rizzotti led the team from day one and had her second best statistical season as a freshman. Her best season was as a senior when she won POY. In fact, I would dub Rizzotti the best freshman season for leadership. Of course, the best freshman tournament performance was Stewart. Moore may have had the best freshman season out of all of WCBB; Stewart had the best freshman tournament out of all of WCBB. Aren't we lucky! I think Bueckers ends up being a "jack of all trades." Not quite the complete season as Moore, but a good one. Not quite the tournament success of Stewart, but a good one. Not quite the leader of Rizzotti, but a good one. I do believe she will surpass Rizzotti as a leader throughout her career.

Forecast: Had this been a normal season I would have liked our chances for a Championship despite our youth. The talent is there and I get the feeling the chemistry will be the best in years. However, one of Auriemma's strengths as a teacher is compromised by the nature of the season. I am not certain he will have enough teachable moments from games to bring them all the way to where they need to be at the end of the season. I still predict a Final Four, however.

Let the games begin!!!!
I agree with 96.72% of your assessment. I believe that Geno's experience combined with CD and our outstanding assistant coaches will keep our talented team focused better on the prize than all of the other teams because they are better in the "two day turnaround" against elite competition, as I think the NCAA will condense the sweet sixteen to the championships to an every other day championship in a bubble city {men one day and women the next or vice versa]. Go Huskies! Go for #12!!!! ....that's my 3.28% to the edition

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69
Top Bottom