18. Arizona State
19. Auburn
20. West Virginia
21. Oregon State
22. Washington
23. Michigan State
24. Oklahoma
25. DePaul
The Orange are so good, they are ranked twice..oh my!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's two polls that have put Notre Dame in the top spot. UConn will be the first ranked team they play this season.
One interesting note, Beginning with the DePaul game on Dec 10 through Jan 22, ND plays 12 games. 10 of them are road games. Six of those games are consecutive road games: Dec 10 - Jan 2. That will schedule test their mettle.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule - 2016-17

2016-17 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule
Fri, Nov 11 vs Central Michigan

Tue, Nov 22 vs UL Lafayette
Sat, Nov 26vs TCU

Wed, Nov 30 @ Iowa
Sun, Dec 4 vs Valparaiso
Wed, Dec 7 vs #4 UConn 7:00 PM ET
Sat, Dec 10 vs @ #25 DePaul

Reaction Score
Scroll down to the last article on the page

http://www.sportswriters.net/usbwa/tipoff/tipoff1116.pdf
That's two polls that have put Notre Dame in the top spot. UConn will be the first ranked team they play this season.
One interesting note, Beginning with the DePaul game on Dec 10 through Jan 22, ND plays 12 games. 10 of them are road games. Six of those games are consecutive road games: Dec 10 - Jan 2. That will schedule test their mettle.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule - 2016-17

2016-17 Notre Dame Fighting Irish Schedule
Fri, Nov 11 vs Central Michigan

Tue, Nov 22 vs UL Lafayette
Sat, Nov 26vs TCU

Wed, Nov 30 @ Iowa
Sun, Dec 4 vs Valparaiso
Wed, Dec 7 vs #4 UConn 7:00 PM ET
Sat, Dec 10 vs @ #25 DePaul

Poor Notre Dame---last year when they played the dynamo of Stewie , Tuck, Moriah, they could only offer --Turner, WestBled, Allen, and 2--count em--2 Mabreys.
Looking at this schedule--ND should be bringing back some help--this will be very taxing on the limited talent they now possess.
Unlike the cream puffs Geno has set up for himself---(Tongue firmly in my cheek.)

Reaction Score
Completely rational assessment. Could have gone without seeing Grayson Allen's smug face though

Reality is going to return to Storrs. Big question: can the team make the Final Four?

Preseason 4th is not far off from rational view.

Reaction Score
Reality is going to return to Storrs. Big question: can the team make the Final Four?
Do you mean that the last 4 years, plus the 7 championship years before then was not reality? It seems to me that when a team wins 11 national championships in the past 21 years, its reality is, in fact, being champion.

So maybe you're suggesting that if UConn doesn't win the NC this year, it will experience your reality?

Reaction Score
As Geno says, as well as others, "it's not where you start it's where you finish!"
It'll just be another reminder that UCONN has to work harder to maintain where they've been and want to continue to be among the elite!
IMHO ND won't be going wire to wire as #1!

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
After UCONN made history by becoming the first team to to win 4 consecutive championships, The other team in the finals, Syracuse starts the year off according to the new preseason Sportwriters Poll, holding both the 14th and 17th spots.. Simply amazing!!

I assume this means Syracuse women now have two Opportunities to reach the final four again this year, that is just unfair but such are the rewards for making it to the finals the year before.. I believe Geno will protest this one as being bias against his team for their success, as base upon that theory, UCONN should also have been given the 4th, 5th and 6th seeding... Head bang

USBWA > Members > Tipoff

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Syracuse, it's always good to have a fall-back plan. :) But seriously, it's just a symptom of the new reality in journalism proofreading, or lack thereof.

I thought the article itself was a realistic appraisal.

Reaction Score
Do you mean that the last 4 years, plus the 7 championship years before then was not reality? It seems to me that when a team wins 11 national championships in the past 21 years, its reality is, in fact, being champion.

So maybe you're suggesting that if UConn doesn't win the NC this year, it will experience your reality?

I mean that winning national championships is really hard. We were blessed with an amazing line-up the past four years. When he was asked what were the key factors in winning the NC last spring, he answered, "There were three: one, two, three. And while counting off each, he pointed to Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan. We were blessed with an amazing line-up then.

My point is that we don't have that amazing line-up anymore. Even Kiah Stokes, a critical cog in the past, yet uncelebrated, is gone to the WNBA.

This year, UConn will be faced with a thinner line-up, particularly in the front court, while their top opponents are loaded with returning stars. Even Coach Geno admitted that this year will be different.

It won't be automatic this year. Just sayin'...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Regarding Syracuse, it's always good to have a fall-back plan. :) But seriously, it's just a symptom of the new reality in journalism proofreading, or lack thereof.

I thought the article itself was a realistic appraisal.

Because preseason polls are nothing more than "educated guesses" where teams rank at the beginning of the season, they are by no means an indication of where those teams will finish the season. Those preseason rankings become moot and inconsequential after the season begins. Actual play (win/losses) will be the criterion that will decide the rankings from that point on. The only thing preseason rankings are good for is fodder. It give us something to talk about before the season starts.

Reaction Score

Perception------------------------------------------------------REALITY!!!

lf the vast lurking non-uconn fans, while salivating, are enjoying the MOMENT---I say--
ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN. ---------------------- REALITY SETS IN VERY QUICKLY..

Reaction Score
Because preseason polls are nothing more than "educated guesses" where teams rank at the beginning of the season, they are by no means an indication of where those teams will finish the season. Those preseason rankings become moot and inconsequential after the season begins. Actual play (win/losses) will be the criterion that will decide the rankings from that point on. The only thing preseason rankings are good for is fodder. It give us something to talk about before the season starts.

PRESEASON---there is little "educated" about the guesses----they are SWAGS or WAGS.
To repeat my often quoted Geno Quote; (paraphrasing)---It is not where you are ranked in November that counts--what's important is the number at the end of April.

Over the past 4 years I cannot remember any gloating---puffery ---about Uconn's status. Probably because the Media did that for us.
Thankfully I have never felt the angst of ND, USC, DUKE, MD, etc fans while Uconn built up 11 National championships---and wondering 'will it ever end'//

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Auburn play are they Top 25 good?

Reaction Score
I mean that winning national championships is really hard. We were blessed with an amazing line-up the past four years. When he was asked what were the key factors in winning the NC last spring, he answered, "There were three: one, two, three. And while counting off each, he pointed to Breanna, Moriah, and Morgan. We were blessed with an amazing line-up then.

My point is that we don't have that amazing line-up anymore. Even Kiah Stokes, a critical cog in the past, yet uncelebrated, is gone to the WNBA.

This year, UConn will be faced with a thinner line-up, particularly in the front court, while their top opponents are loaded with returning stars. Even Coach Geno admitted that this year will be different.

It won't be automatic this year. Just sayin'...

It won't be automatic this year. Just sayin'...[/QUOTE]

During Senior years---Geno usually puffs up the seniors. This group was good, really good--no doubt. But
Rebecca, Walters, etc won and were missed terribly--thinking is this the end?? Then Sue, Swin, Asia(sp), Tamika, add DT, and a lull, then Maya, Tina, Rene---until Steff, KML, KIah, --
Point is --Uconn fans cannot sit around and moan--we lost Stewie , Morgan, Moriah--
It is NOT who or what you lost---it is about WHO YOU HAVE.-- and uconn has experienced talent at almost every position--some of the best talent in WCBB is right there in STORRS---Not to mention the greatest WBB coaching staff EVER!!
That is why I say---the Queens are GONE---LONG LIVE the NEW Queens (Katie Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Kia, Chong, Butler, Crystal, Lawlor, Kyla, Molly--then next year Stephens, etc)

I guess I have to remind you and those fans from other teams----IT IS NEVER AUTOMATIC----EVEN AT UCONN--IT TAKES WORK --DEDICATION--TALENT-- WORK--PRACTICE--WORK--CONDITIONING--WORK--COACHING. NOTHING IS AUTOMATIC!!!!!

Reaction Score
Doesn't that mean that they're really ranked 31st?
The arithmetic sum of rankings understates the significance of being ranked two times. The arithmetic mean of rankings 15.5, or the geometric mean of 15.4 also understate last seasons accomplishment of a finals appearance. I will go with the harmonic mean of 7.7 and round that up to 8. :cool:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Has anyone seen Auburn play are they Top 25 good?
The Auburn coach was asked at SEC media days. Is this a NCAA tournament team? She said absolutely.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Syracuse ranked twice? Proves the system is rigged! :mad:

I demand a recount!;)

Reaction Score
Preseason polls are worthless! One magazine had ND #1 and UCONN 4th while another had Baylor #1 and UCONN 6th! The Sporting News and Lindsay's College BB Issues were the culprits!
UCONN has been ranked 1st and 4th in two other polls!
An injury to a starter in the first or 2nd game can change the whole season. A Team ranked 22 to also ran might have a great combo and deserve to be in top 10 but has to make up 15+ slots which is almost impossible to do!
IMHO the polls should start after the 2nd official game or maybe even later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom