Preseason AP rankings compared to performance | The Boneyard

Preseason AP rankings compared to performance

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I'm not offering commentary on who underperformed, overperformed, etc. Too much to factor in with injuries and everything. Just offering the data for your viewing.

1South CarolinaFinal 4; SEC champs
2StanfordRound of 32; Pac 12 regular season co-champs
3TexasRound of 32; Big 12 regular season champs
4IowaFinal 4; Big 10 tournament champs
5TennesseeSweet 16
6ConnecticutSweet 16; Big East champs
7LouisvilleElite 8
8Iowa StateRound of 64; Big 12 tourney champs
9Notre DameSweet 16; ACC regular season champs
10NC StateRound of 64
11IndianaRound of 32; Big 10 regular season champs
12North CarolinaRound of 32
13Virginia TechFinal 4; ACC tournament champs
14Ohio StateElite 8
15OklahomaRound of 32
16LSUFinal 4
17MarylandElite 8
18BaylorRound of 32
19ArizonaRound of 32
20OregonWNIT
21CreightonRound of 64
22NebraskaWNIT
23South Dakota StateRound of 32; Summit champs
24PrincetonRound of 32
25MichiganRound of 32
RVUtahSweet 16; Pac 12 regular season co-champs
RVUCLASweet 16
RVKansasWNIT
RVVillanovaSweet 16
RVDePaul--
RVGeorgiaRound of 32
RVBelmontWNIT
RVMiami (FL)Elite 8
RVSouth Dakota--
RVKansas StateWNIT
RVMississippiSweet 16
RVBYUWNIT
RVArkansasWNIT
RVFloridaWNIT
RVGonzagaRound of 64; WCC regular season champs
RVSouth FloridaRound of 32; American champs
RVAlabamaRound of 64
RVDukeRound of 32
RVUCF--
RVWashington StateRound of 64; Pac 12 tournament champs

Other:
No votes receivedColoradoSweet 16
No votes receivedMTSURound of 64; Top 25 AP ranking; CUSA champs
No votes receivedFlorida Gulf CoastRound of 32; ASUN champs
No votes receivedToledoRound of 32; MAC champs
No votes receivedMississippi StateRound of 32

Last edited:

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

Texas, TN, and Louisville all started the season with high expectations and completely flunked out to begin the year. They all, to varying degrees, regained some respect. TX was co-B12 champions; TN made it to Sweet 16 and SEC Final; Louisville had great run to Elite 8. TX and TN also dealt with major injuries to starters.

While Iowa State and NC State had injuries, and ISU did win the B12 tournament, it seemed like they were never able to get it together in a consistent way this year.

PAC 12 had a lot of teams undervalued to begin the year--UCLA, Utah, Colorado all made Sweet 16 and were consistent presence in rankings.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This brings back memories of my HS track team. Our coach used to say "on paper..." when he tried to predict who would place for points in each event. We started to respond to him "we bad" and laughed.

For WBB this season, I still think some teams get the AL football treatment, while other legit strong teams are dismissed for reasons such as lack of exposure, etc. For some teams, the issues were there for the whole season, Stanford being an example, however many looked past those, perhaps based on Stanford's history.

UConn was #2 preseason, then Paige's injury impacted regular season ranking and put us at #6, dropped to #9 in Dec, then rose a bit, had some ugly spots, finished strong in BET, however who can say where the team really should have been ranked through all of this?

Reaction Score
Thanks for this metric. It's a good tool to reflect on.

Honestly, there are just a few that were misses. TX and TN were both clearly over ranked but it's not like either completely crashed and burned. NCSU had injuries and issues and there was no surprise they left the tournament early.

Clearly VT and LSU were under ranked. No one will forgive Kim's schedule but her team is one of the last four standing. I suspect voters and pollsters expected Owusu to play a more significant role for VT than has happened and yet here they are. That's a testament to Brooks as a coach and the leadership on that team.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this metric. It's a good tool to reflect on.

Honestly, there are just a few that were misses. TX and TN were both clearly over ranked but it's not like either completely crashed and burned. NCSU had injuries and issues and there was no surprise they left the tournament early.
Texas lost 2 starters for most of the season and Tennessee lost their starting center, so it's a little unfair to say they were over-ranked based on who was projected to be on the team. Tennessee finished the season strong, but they clearly far from being a top 4 team without Tamari Key.

Reaction Score
Texas lost 2 starters for most of the season and Tennessee lost their starting center, so it's a little unfair to say they were over-ranked based on who was projected to be on the team. Tennessee finished the season strong, but they clearly far from being a top 4 team without Tamari Key.
Point taken. Also I can admit I thought Iowa was way too high to start the year. Clearly shows how much I know lol.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This brings back memories of my HS track team. Our coach used to say "on paper..." when he tried to predict who would place for points in each event. We started to respond to him "we bad" and laughed.

For WBB this season, I still think some teams get the AL football treatment, while other legit strong teams are dismissed for reasons such as lack of exposure, etc. For some teams, the issues were there for the whole season, Stanford being an example, however many looked past those, perhaps based on Stanford's history.

UConn was #2 preseason, then Paige's injury impacted regular season ranking and put us at #6, dropped to #9 in Dec, then rose a bit, had some ugly spots, finished strong in BET, however who can say where the team really should have been ranked through all of this?
Stanford had issues all year, but they still had wins over UCLA (twice), Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Gonzaga, Tennessee. They also "should" have beat South Carolina at home and probably came closest to anyone this year in hanging with them (along with Ole Miss in Ole Miss). But the one-and-done format is unforgiving if you're not at top of your game come March.

Reaction Score
If I recall, Tennessee was underperforming with Key. I think they had a better record after she had to stop playing. Of course they did have a tough early year schedule.

Reaction Score
If I recall, Tennessee was underperforming with Key. I think they had a better record after she had to stop playing. Of course they did have a tough early year schedule.
Key was also not well before she got shut down for the season. She was playing with undiagnosed blood clots in her lungs, and that affected her play. She was far from the player she was last year. They also had some chemistry issues with bringing Jackson and Powell into the fold, but the loss of Key really lowered their ceiling. A healthy Key can completely change the game with her defensive skills.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Stanford had issues all year, but they still had wins over UCLA (twice), Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Gonzaga, Tennessee. They also "should" have beat South Carolina at home and probably came closest to anyone this year in hanging with them (along with Ole Miss in Ole Miss). But the one-and-done format is unforgiving if you're not at top of your game come March.
Wait, what? Stanford did not have issues all year unless you want to call the fact that Tara had no true and experienced point guard to run the offense an issue. This was exactly the returning team she had planned to have the whole time. They underachieved.
Issues usually means injuries, coaching changes or items out of the programs control.
If you mean “chemistry issues” than “Maybe” is my retort but the team looked
Good at times and simply a poor shooting team at times. Not sure I would call any it “issues”.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
By "issues" i meant offensive issues. They won a lot more games in the 60s and even 50s than they were used to. You're right, likely because they didn't have an experienced PG, but it didn't seem to necessarily get better throughout the season. Tara never seemed to find the right combo to make the team tick offensively, which is unique for her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom