Preparing for a new, improved UConn football (Kidwai/Chamberlain Husky Football Forum Podcast) | The Boneyard

Preparing for a new, improved UConn football (Kidwai/Chamberlain Husky Football Forum Podcast)

Reaction Score
-> UConn football is coming off a 3-9 season but after an off-season of retooling, expectations have risen and the Huskies are expected by many objective parties to be better.

How much better they'll be remains to be seen, but for now, in early-July, we can bask in some traditional pre-season optimism and entertain the possibility of a bowl game again.

We also discuss UConn’s situation and history at the quarterback position and some scheduling notes.

Enjoy! <-

Transcript available within for those w/ ADD: Preparing for a new, improved UConn football

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Transcript available within for those w/ ADD: Preparing for a new, improved UConn football
I appreciate the transcript!

I definitely feel like the pressure is on this season and Mora has to win 6 and get into a bowl. You at least have to be as good as two seasons ago. And I would prefer to see them actually winning outright rather than just having to struggle the whole time to get there. Like it was mentioned in the podcast, UConn was getting “outclassed” too many times last season by teams they should have beaten.

Personally I’m not sold on Roberson or Fagnano. I’m willing to suggest that part of their struggles was due to not being put in good enough positions to win, but … I don’t know. I want to see a QB out there consistently making great throws — I don’t mean 40+ yard bombs every other play but even just being able to reliably get out there and move the sticks. If Evers is that QB then I’m all for it. If someone else gets out there and proves they’re the guy then that’s fine too. Let’s just win.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am neither pro nor con Fagnano. Too small a sample size. Hopefully there are one or more QBs able to move the ball consistently with some variety. Hopefully we will have the O line that makes it easier and a D that gives the O plenty of chances.

Reaction Score
Roberson portaled to Kansas State…
Okay I’m an idiot. :oops: I swear I knew this! I’m not that old!

That’s what I get for switching back and forth between the transcript and here.

Reaction Score
Did I miss a memo or are you referring to Cole Welliver?
No, I’m referring to Nick Evers who’s mentioned in the podcast. He committed to UConn back in May. Coming over from Wisconsin.

But I forgot about Cole, who also gives me hope for good QB play.

Reaction Score
Another year of this one feels different from that last one that felt different from the one before that. But, it seems like they have something and it feels different… lol.

Reaction Score
No, I’m referring to Nick Evers who’s mentioned in the podcast. He committed to UConn back in May. Coming over from Wisconsin.

But I forgot about Cole, who also gives me hope for good QB play.
Oh, yeah. I need to reengage. Losing track.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the transcript!

I definitely feel like the pressure is on this season and Mora has to win 6 and get into a bowl. You at least have to be as good as two seasons ago. And I would prefer to see them actually winning outright rather than just having to struggle the whole time to get there. Like it was mentioned in the podcast, UConn was getting “outclassed” too many times last season by teams they should have beaten.

Personally I’m not sold on Roberson or Fagnano. I’m willing to suggest that part of their struggles was due to not being put in good enough positions to win, but … I don’t know. I want to see a QB out there consistently making great throws — I don’t mean 40+ yard bombs every other play but even just being able to reliably get out there and move the sticks. If Evers is that QB then I’m all for it. If someone else gets out there and proves they’re the guy then that’s fine too. Let’s just win.
Having quarterbacks stay healthy would help

Reaction Score
The way i feel about the QB position is Fagnano beat out Roberson. I am hopeful Evers is better than both of them. Roberson had talent, and maybe it was not being fully healthy off the knee injury, but something was missing. Didn't inspire confidence.

Reaction Score
i am really glad that we didn't brand this offseason as "husky reload part 2" or some other nonsense - just shut up, fly low and do work in practice. leave the social media alone for a bit. And if we still suck after all this work, then at least we didn't hype up a dead duck.

I wouldn't be surprised if JM told the social media kids to take it easy this year. It doesn't matter what you post if the product is subpar. take care of the field first and the follower count will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
UConn is fawked if Fagnano takes a meaningful snap this season.
Yup. We saw enough to know he isn’t the guy. I’m waiting for the one guy that can see the field, go through his progressions quickly and deliver with accuracy. Basic sheet.

Reaction Score
I think Evers can somewhat duplicate what Castellanos did for BC last season. Not a great passer (173 passing yds/game), but he made up for it with his legs (85 rushing yds/game). It was good enough to win a not so great offensive BC squad 7 games, and against a much tougher schedule than we'll play this season.

Reaction Score
Yup. We saw enough to know he isn’t the guy. I’m waiting for the one guy that can see the field, go through his progressions quickly and deliver with accuracy. Basic sheet.
I thought he was slow in almost everything he did. Decision making, delivering the ball. Looked like a prototypical FCS quarterback to me. A bit slower than solid FBS guys

Reaction Score
Reading that preview, I'm glad someone else shares my optimism. The influx of talent (meaning live snap experience) from the transfer portal combined with a lighter schedule should translate to wins this year. In a perfect scenario (emphasis on perfect), I can see 8 wins. More likely, I'm expecting 6, but I think anything under that would be a disappointment. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to earn bowl eligibility from a home slate that includes Merrimack, Rice, FAU, Temple, Buffalo, Georgia State, and then @UMass. I could also see the potential to upset Wake Forest at home, reminiscent of 2022's win vs. BC or the 2015 win vs. Houston. Point is: this schedule lacks some big brand name opponents, but I'd rather have wins that will ultimately get butts in seats and revive interest in the program rather than getting our teeth kicked in at Michigan...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom