Pregame Butler Tenn conferences Geno And players | The Boneyard

Pregame Butler Tenn conferences Geno And players

Reaction Score
Check out Geno's take on Kim Mulkey's recent comments (start 9:15 through 13:15). For sure by tonight Voepel will have an ESPN.com column out: "Auriemma agrees with Mulkey: It's all about the money."

Great thoughts by Geno. ("Ask any coach, 'How about you give your entire year's salary back.' Yeah, it's all about the money.")

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno not helping ESPN sell the greatest rivalry in WCBB. :oops:

He said TN did not sell out last year? Any details about how well that game drew in comparison Tyler Phommachanh the other big hitters??

Reaction Score

He said TN did not sell out last year? Any details about how well that game drew in comparison Tyler Phommachanh the other big hitters??
Last years game was at XL Center. Attendance was 13,659... capacity is 16,294... 2635 empty seats

In 2018-2019 season UCONN hosted South Carolina at XL... (kind of a "marquee game")... and attendance was 11,740.... 4550 empty seats

In 2017 - 2018 season, UCONN hosted Notre Dame at XL... (clearly a marquee game) and attendance was 15,564... 730 empty seats

Reaction Score
Last years game was at XL Center. Attendance was 13,659... capacity is 16,294... 2635 empty seats

In 2018-2019 season UCONN hosted South Carolina at XL... (kind of a "marquee game")... and attendance was 11,740.... 4550 empty seats

In 2017 - 2018 season, UCONN hosted Notre Dame at XL... (clearly a marquee game) and attendance was 15,564... 730 empty seats
Captain, 16,294 is an old number. Since 2014 the capacity was reduce to 15,564 (check out Wikipedia). So the ND game was a sell out.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Bet it's going to piss ESPN off because that's a game where they would be able to sell every other year and have it on ESPN. Unless they use it at a We Back Pat series, Fox would have the rights to it when it's played at UConn.

Reaction Score
Captain, 16,294 is an old number. Since 2014 the capacity was reduce to 15,564 (check out Wikipedia). So the ND game was a sell out.
Thanks @Skeets ... I was using information from an ESPN game summary...
BUT...it's interesting how much "cyber space junk" there is out there.

There are conflicting numbers on the same Wikipedia page... the main write up says:
"The arena seats 15,635 for ice hockey and 16,294 for basketball, 16,606 for center-stage concerts, 16,282 for end-stage concerts, and 8,239 for ¾-end stage concerts, ...."

While a side box summary says Capacity: Concerts: 16,500
Basketball: 15,600
Ice hockey: 14,750

And, the Google Search for XL Center says the capacity is 16294.

Regardless... UCONN drew nearly 2000 more fans for Tenn than they did for South Carolina

All this is FWIW... I have no direct knowledge of XL Center...

Reaction Score
I was there. Probably a couple of hundred no-shows who bought tickets, but there are always no shows (or people hanging out for beers or bathrooms, maybe both?). Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia:

Basketball
YearsCapacity
1975–197911,000
1979–198715,134
1987–198916,016
1989–201416,294
2014–present15,564

Reaction Score
She's probably tired of the stupid questions that some of these so called reporters ask.
For the most part I think the questions asked at all of these sessions are pretty unimpressive. So why ask two players what they think about who should start for example. They are not the coach and smart enough to not go there. That is the kind of question that is trying to create a controversy.

Same with Tennessee, when Geno says it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore, but they want to find some way to make it a bigger deal than it is. And finally let's spice up a hatred angle rivalry with Evina and Tennessee. Whether there were issues there or not, she has clearly moved on. Too bad the reporters aren't mature enough to do the same.

Sorry I will get off my soapbox now.

Reaction Score
Bet it's going to piss ESPN off because that's a game where they would be able to sell every other year and have it on ESPN. Unless they use it at a We Back Pat series, Fox would have the rights to it when it's played at UConn.
why do I get the sense that Geno could care less about playing Tennessee ever?

Reaction Score
Check out Geno's take on Kim Mulkey's recent comments (start 9:15 through 13:15). For sure by tonight Voepel will have an ESPN.com column out: "Auriemma agrees with Mulkey: It's all about the money."

Great thoughts by Geno. ("Ask any coach, 'How about you give your entire year's salary back.' Yeah, it's all about the money.")
Voila! (But props to Mechelle - she (and the headline writer, if that’s still a thing) took the high road and didn’t over-sensationalize it.)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there. Probably a couple of hundred no-shows who bought tickets, but there are always no shows (or people hanging out for beers or bathrooms, maybe both?). Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia:

Basketball
YearsCapacity
1975–197911,000
1979–198715,134
1987–198916,016
1989–201416,294
2014–present15,564

Actually, the capacity from January 18, 1978 (43 years ago today) until January 17, 1980 was zero. Anyone who was around Hartford then remembers the huge snowstorm/icestorm - combined with terrible design/construction flaws - that caused the Civic Center roof to collapse. I could look down on it later that morning from my office building. It was sickening. One of my colleagues did some work for the Whalers and he was absolutely frantic.

It occurred in the wee hours of the morning. Thank God no one was in there. Hours earlier, UConn had beaten UMass there, 56-49.

I don`t recall where the UConn men played during that interim period - the Fieldhouse of course, but maybe elsewhere for some games. New Haven Coliseum maybe? I know that the Whalers moved their home games north to Springfield.

The Wikipedia article says that the Civic Center reopened after "extensive renovations". Ya think? The darn roof fell in.

I was at the Tennessee game last year, it was a fairly decent crowd to see a game that was fairly ordinary except for the teams involved and the history of the rivalry.

The XL Center is an old, outdated arena in dire need of renovation. I would watch on television rather than sitting way up in the 200 sections. There is again talk in Connecticut about spending some significant money to fix it up, but it always seems to come up and nothing seems to happen. Gampel is a much more enjoyable venue.

The UConn women drew really well at the then Civic Center back in the Shea Ralph/Swin Cash/Sue Bird era, and they still do ok there but not like back then.

I was at the Notre Dame game there a few years ago and that game was on a Sunday afternoon. The Tennessee game, and the South Carolina game in 2019, were on weekday evenings. The UConn women definitely seem to draw better on weekend afternoons than on weekday evenings, both at the XL Center and at Gampel. It is generally a more convenient time for much of their fan base, old, young, and groups busing in from all over.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Fox has the rights to Big East games. UConn-Tennessee wouldn't be included.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, Fox has the rights to Big East games. UConn-Tennessee wouldn't be included.
Home games are shown by the conference TV rights holder. FS1 is showing the SC vs UConn game this year because it's at Gampel. So unless the games are under the guise of something like "We Back Pat" or "Hall of Fame" where ESPN has the exclusive rights to broadcast then it would be FOX when the games are at UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just logged on (8:15 pm est). I was praying that I would not see a post announcing that the Butler game is postponed. So far so good. Three games (Butler, Tennessee and Georgetown) are scheduled this week. We really need to play all 3 of them!!.

Good luck to our team in those games. especially against Tennessee. :) I'd like to see Evina have a triple double, and be named the Kibitzer's "Bad Ass" of the game. Ohhhh............how that would make my day! ;)

Enjoy the games everyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mechelle also said in her article that Kim's comments came after the loss to Iowa State, not before.
Carolyn Peck is on record that Mulkey told her the same thing before the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom