Prediction: Our backcourt will easily be one best of the country | The Boneyard

Prediction: Our backcourt will easily be one best of the country

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
*will easily be one of the best

Never mind B Adams and Wilson, we have FOUR guards in rotation who averaged 12 points or more last season(most in the country?). They can all defend well. There also is a clearly defined leader. As long as they can improve their passing(which i believe is more of a coaching thing than a talent thing) This could be the deepest and most productive back court we've had in a long time. Thoughts on just how good this back court could be?

Reaction Score
*will easily be one of the best

Never mind B Adams and Wilson, we have FOUR guards in rotation who averaged 12 points or more last season(most in the country?). They can all defend well. There also is a clearly defined leader. As long as they can improve their passing(which i believe is more of a coaching thing than a talent thing) This could be the deepest and most talented back court we've had in a long time. Thoughts on just how good this back court could be?
Aren't we going a little overboard here. I mean we don't even know if CV is back and AG might never play big minutes for us. Smith could be just the same type of player we had this year in AA as he comes from the A10 and wasn't a starter either. Yes, he was 6th man of the year in the A10 but lets not go crazy thinking he is going to produce much more than AA. Wilson is not a guard but one of our forwards technically. The only player we know for sure that will produce consistently in the backcourt for us next year is JA, so lets temper the enthusiasm.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Scrappy is that you?!

We definitely have talented guys in the back court. But talent does not equate to 'being the best' or even one of the best.

We have new guys (one who's barely played in 2 yrs), a new system, and a new coach too. Talent only gets you so far... you need leadership, coaching, chemistry, intangibles, etc.

And while the back court has talent, we don't have one proven 'knock down shooter'. While I expect to run better offense under Hurley and therefore see higher percentage looks across the board, it still remains to be seen if anyone can become a reliable 3-pt shooter. And in today's college basketball game, you need at least a few. (ala Nova of late, or Bazz/Niels/Daniels 2014)

Definitely excited to see what Hurley can do with the bunch. But until I see em on the floor and see the ball go in the net, I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder, reading these responses, if a statement of what we all wish has ever been countered so unanimously by what we all fear. Maybe next year's backcourt will not be the best in the country, but it seems guaranteed to outperform any expectation that can be safely posted to the BY.

Reaction Score
Jeez guys we still have over 5 months and yall are predicting we’ll be in the NCAA, and have one of the best backcourts in the country? Welcome to the boneyard I guess... We have the potential to do these things but let’s at least get to see the team in action for a little bit of time before we go making these wild predictions.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wonder, reading these responses, if a statement of what we all wish has ever been countered so unanimously by what we all fear. Maybe next year's backcourt will not be the best in the country, but it seems guaranteed to outperform any expectation that can be safely posted to the BY.
You have to admit that OP knows how to write a provocative thread title.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the main issue with OP's "prediction" is the "easily". There is nothing easy about it. Gilbert needs to be healthy, and he should be. But he also needs to shake off 2 years of rust. Adams needs to improve his shooting and left hand. CV needs to vastly improve his decision making and passing. Smith and B. Adams could be good, or not that good. Certainly I don't expect a big impact from Adams as a freshman. He's the type of guy who emerges as a Junior to become a strong player.

The back-court should be a strength. That's about the size of it. We should be better than most of our opponents. The front-court is a huge question mark. I think there is some good potential there, but we really don't know until we see it.

Reaction Score
It's not a prediction if you wait until the players prove they are amongst the best. Not sure how so many can on the one hand see Hurley as "super coach" and not expect results immediately. Jalen had Kemba junior year type shooting numbers (big difference lack of trips to foul line) in a one man band type offense, Vital shot selection not the best, Gilbert can (not saying will) make big impact and grad transfer does seem at least AA type help (potentially more and against a less demanding role than AA was thrust into).
Why not put it out there? I want our backcourt guys thinking this - "We are bad to the bone!"

Reaction Score
With full health the 1 and 2 are talented, after that it drops off considerably. It might be asking a lot of AG's 3x surgically repaired shoulder to go all out for 30 min a game...

Reaction Score
Have any of our guards even shot 40% from three?

Gilbert hasn't even shot 30%.

Between the 4 guards, they have a combined 10 seasons* of experience.

The best single season 3pt% out of those 10 was 36.2% from Vital his freshman year, upon which he promptly regressed to 31% the next year. There's only one other season out of the 10 with over 33% 3-point shooting: Jalen's sophomore year, which was bookended by 27% and 32%. As a whole over their whole careers, our guards are 281/875 from 3, 32%.

The D1 median team 3pt% is around 35%. 32% would have ranked ~#310 as a team last year.

*Counting Gilbert's 2 shortened seasons. A lot of noise with his numbers, but that could just as easily have mean he shot 40% on the 31 attempts, but he wasn't even close.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Gilbert hasn't even shot 30%.

Between the 4 guards, they have a combined 10 seasons* of experience.

The best single season 3pt% out of those 10 was 36.2% from Vital his freshman year, upon which he promptly regressed to 31% the next year. There's only one other season out of the 10 with over 33% 3-point shooting: Jalen's sophomore year, which was bookended by 27% and 32%. As a whole over their whole careers, our guards are 281/875 from 3, 32%.

The D1 median team 3pt% is around 35%. 32% would have ranked ~#310 as a team last year.

*Counting Gilbert's 2 shortened seasons. A lot of noise with his numbers, but that could just as easily have mean he shot 40% on the 31 attempts, but he wasn't even close.
Yep but those numbers are depressed by last second desperation threes in a stagnant offense. Start moving the ball with sensible drive and dish to let people step into and get off there shots in rhythm and the percentages will increase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom