Pre-Italy practices...and games? | The Boneyard

Pre-Italy practices...and games?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Do we know when the practices start?
Do we know if our 23U tryout kids will miss any of them?
Same for Kia Nurse?

Do we know who our opponents will be in Italy?
I'm hoping Italy can assemble some of their 2016 Olympians...maybe some 2020 possibilities as well...for one of those games.

One last question: can a moderator fix my spelling in the title?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I appreciate that! Uhh...'Bronxjeff'?

Waay back I played at Van Cortland...Mosholu...some public courses nearby up in Westchester...Sprain Lake and Dunwoodie for 2. Ever had the pleasure of playing any of them?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Practice has begun. Under-23 hoops camp opens with top college players

Geno gave them a pep talk. Mitchell was seen taking notes.

"It’s not about the points you score, but about what else you can bring to the team. Are you a good teammate?” Auriemma said. “No one remembers who the leading scorer was or who led the team in rebounds. It’s all about whether you won or not. Everyone has pretty much the same skill set. The question is can you be a good teammate.”

Reaction Score
Blake0n 18--

Was that you playing with Kramer and Steve Gendason up at Van Cortland?

Reaction Score
Do we know when the practices start?
Do we know if our 23U tryout kids will miss any of them?
Same for Kia Nurse?

Do we know who our opponents will be in Italy?
I'm hoping Italy can assemble some of their 2016 Olympians...maybe some 2020 possibilities as well...for one of those games.

One last question: can a moderator fix my spelling in the title?

Practices are allowed by the NCAA to start on 8/2 which is 10 days prior to departure. The team will play 4 games in Italy. The dates for those games are 8/14, 8/15, 8/18, and 8/20.

Reaction Score
I liked your new spelling, in fact I am going to play a gmae of logf this afternoon in your honor!
\
I taught him all i know and he still spells gmae's GAMES---the frustration of teahres, can't learn them nuthin.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE"RockyMTblue2, post: 2280856, member: 250"]Practice has begun. Under-23 hoops camp opens with top college players

"It’s not about the points you score, but about what else you can bring to the team. Are you a good teammate?” Auriemma said. “No one remembers who the leading scorer was or who led the team in rebounds. It’s all about whether you won or not. Everyone has pretty much the same skill set. The question is can you be a good teammate.”[/QUOTE]

Geno: It's not about the points you score!! That's why his teams were led by Dt, Maya, Stewie.
Geno also has spoken about putting the ball in the hole--or the lack there of.
On, a singular player basis it is what they bring to the game. Geno expects even scorers to aid in the defense.But to be certain--Geno has no bias against scorers.
When DT lost the Fab 4 plus 1 and with them, it was Dt's scoring that beat TN, and won the NC against Okla.
People remember who carried the scoring load, DT, Maya, Stewie, Rene, Mel, KML, Collier, KLS and we also remember who blocked shots--Shuie and Kiah
Outside of fans few remember.

Reaction Score
One of the UConn Alumni Foundation staff told me that the opponent for the first two games (in Rome) will be the Netherlands national team. The Dutchies should provide excellent competition for our Huskies... I'll bet the women on that team are tall!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE"RockyMTblue2, post: 2280856, member: 250"]Practice has begun. Under-23 hoops camp opens with top college players

"It’s not about the points you score, but about what else you can bring to the team. Are you a good teammate?” Auriemma said. “No one remembers who the leading scorer was or who led the team in rebounds. It’s all about whether you won or not. Everyone has pretty much the same skill set. The question is can you be a good teammate.”

Geno: It's not about the points you score!! That's why his teams were led by Dt, Maya, Stewie.
On, a singular player basis it is what they bring to the game. Geno expects even scorers to aid in the defense.But to be certain--Geno has no bias against scorers.
When DT lost the Fab 4 plus 1 and with them, it was Dt's scoring that beat TN, and won the NC against Okla.
People remember who carried the scoring load, DT, Maya, Stewie, Rene, Mel, KML, Collier, KLS and we also remember who blocked shots--Shuie and Kiah
Outside of fans few remember.[/QUOTE]

Geno's memorable statement to DT: " I didn't bring you here to pass!"

Reaction Score
Outside of fans few remember.

Geno's memorable statement to DT: " I didn't bring you here to pass!"[/QUOTE]
True--If you closely follow Geno over the decades--you can find nearly any comment to cover most subjects. He has had one mantra--DEFENSE, rebound, break fast, go to the other end, score, don't dance and talk about it get back and defend. This is why many of us follow Uconn--pretty/smart BB.
The Svetlana comment was more: I score, why I need Defense? Of all the foreign recruits Uconn has had Svetie (Sue called her) was my favorite ---I don't think Geno had another!! She was fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I appreciate that! Uhh...'Bronxjeff'?

Waay back I played at Van Cortland...Mosholu...some public courses nearby up in Westchester...Sprain Lake and Dunwoodie for 2. Ever had the pleasure of playing any of them?
No I never did, though enjoyed hiking in van cortland park. I left NYC 30 plus years ago (around when I took up golf) and play here in CT. I was invited to a tourney at Glastonbury Hills yesterday, and we had a beautiful day for it!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gabby has a slant on the pre-Italy practices: “We’re getting together early and will have the head start and get to know each other earlier,” Williams said. “The first few practices are the hardest practices of the year, so to get that over with is good for us.”

UConn women ready to move on Final Four loss

I'm not so sure. Italy, then a break. I'm Geno and Co. I'm bringing them back for those "first few practices" all over again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom