Pre Game UConn & Duke Interviews. | The Boneyard

Pre Game UConn & Duke Interviews.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Duke players were certainly fired up. I wonder if they will take all that energy into the game.

Loved the moderator’s advice: “speak into the microphone so that people at home can see you.” I suppose the corollary is to look into the camera so the audience can hear you. And, by the way, weren’t our kids on point? As usual.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I really, really like listening to Crystal. Gets right to it and speaks so well.

Reaction Score
OK. So now we know what Duke is going to try to do tomorrow. They're going to play a kind of slowed down possession game. Problem is they turn the ball over so much that UConn will probably have lots of chances to run out. JPM noted that Duke is a mediocre rebounding team; that's not good for them, and it flies in the face of having many possessions. As for her complaint about neutral courts, the Huskies win everywhere and anywhere with or w/out its fans present. UConn regularly slapped down the B. Devils on their home court, thought to be one of the toughest venues for visitors (remember the "Cameron Crazies"?). So: it doesn't appear that Joanne is particularly hopeful. She's asking her team to play a perfect game, which probably isn't in them. Could get ugly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Duke players were certainly fired up. I wonder if they will take all that energy into the game.

Yeah! Fired up for sure. Thought Greenwell's forehead was going to bounce off the table.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As for her complaint about neutral courts, the Huskies win everywhere and anywhere with or w/out its fans present.

Even Geno agrees. Efforts to fill seats in neutral sites have always been a challenge.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For all those who criticize Coach JPM, they need to watch her pregame as she gracious, effusive in praise, logical and knowledgeable in the regional needs on attendance and in UConn’s ascension to the top tier of WCBB. Plus her connection to the Buffalo coach! I am happy for her and how she has evolved! Now unfortunately, we must get back to our regularly scheduled annihilation of all teams not named UConn, thank you for coming to Albany and please leave via the side doors....:)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
For all those who criticize Coach JPM, they need to watch her pregame as she gracious, effusive in praise, logical and knowledgeable in the regional needs on attendance and in UConn’s ascension to the top tier of WCBB. Plus her connection to the Buffalo coach! I am happy for her and how she has evolved! Now unfortunately, we must get back to our regularly scheduled annihilation of all teams not named UConn, thank you for coming to Albany and please leave via the side doors....:)

You might want to rethink your statement.

Original link, from 2016, where McCallie made the statements:
Q&A: Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie discusses HR evaluation, recent high-profile departures

Courant article from 2016, reporting on the incident:
Duke's McCallie Criticizes Geno For Taking Transfers; His Response? She Should 'Try A Little Harder'

Reaction Score
"Do you know how hard it is to coach at Duke?" Auriemma said facetiously. "It's really challenging. It's an impossible job. She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there."

Brutal takedown. Absolutely filthy!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Do you know how hard it is to coach at Duke?" Auriemma said facetiously. "It's really challenging. It's an impossible job. She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there."

Brutal takedown. Absolutely filthy!

I guess he can give as good as he gets. Who would have suspected that from the coiner of the basketball term Evil Empire. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let's go to the monitor ... deer in head lights ref want to take care... tick tick tick

Reaction Score
You might want to rethink your statement.

Original link, from 2016, where McCallie made the statements:
Q&A: Duke women's basketball head coach Joanne McCallie discusses HR evaluation, recent high-profile departures

Courant article from 2016, reporting on the incident:
Duke's McCallie Criticizes Geno For Taking Transfers; His Response? She Should 'Try A Little Harder'

you're completely right, that she lied about her statement. She should have just said that she was upset and regrets having made them. And we all know that she's quite capable of going off the rails.

But by and large, she stayed on message and was really, really, really gracious toward UConn. And she's a real cheerleader for her owh team, and that aligns with what Duke wants to see of her: being supportive of her kids.

I say, encourage her good behavior.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom