Pre-Game Analysis - Providence vs UConn | The Boneyard

Pre-Game Analysis - Providence vs UConn

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This match-up approach to analyzing the game doesn't take into account if the opposing team decides to play primarily zone. Which given Providences inability to cover UConn's talented players I expect to see Providence play. However, since this is only an exercise in looking at players who most likely will start and what kind of production can be expected from each position there is value in at least taking a look. UConn presents match-up problems for Providence at just about every position.

Olivia Olsen vs Aaliyah Edwards - Aaliyah will dominate the paint in this game. Her footwork in the paint and her ability to step out and make the foul line jumper along with her overall athleticism will give her another double - double. Advantage - UConn

Janai Crooms vs Azzi Fudd - Janai
is Providence's most productive player...she plays the same position as Azzi and is similar in size...however, Azzi while not being as good a rebounder as Janai...her offensive ability to get to the hole, to pop and shoot and to spot up for three will be a nightmare for Providence who I suspect will have no answer for Azzi. Advantage - UConn

Brynn Farrell vs Lou Lopez-Senechal
- Brynn has started every game and has been consistent for Providence but as noted in the author of this thread's post they have not played anyone of any quality. UConn on the other hand has already played 3 top 10 teams. Lou is showing the UConn fans that she is the real deal. She is a natural scorer and her defense is far better than we first suspected it would be. Lou will prove to be too much for Brynn. Advantage - UConn

Grace Efosa vs Nika Muhl
- If Grace actually gets the nod to start and not Megan Huerter or Kylee Sheppard she will have a very difficult night with the lttle gnat hounding her. In fact this may become a team effort by the above mentioned three players all of which who after chasing Nika around will be glad to see the game end. While the position may result in Providence scoring more points and getting more rebounds...Nika's ability to put the ball in the hands of her team mates in a position where they can score and her ability as an on-ball defender will allow Nika to impact the game from this position better than any of them on the Providence side of the ball. Advantage - UConn

Emily Archibald vs Aubrey Griffin - Now this is a nightmare match-up for Emily. How will Emily handle Aubrey's athleticism, speed and ability to explode to the ball. My guess is not well. I look for Aubrey to have a fantastic game. Advantage - UConn

Bench
- Providence - Naraiah Scott, Kylee Sheppard, Meagan Huerter vs Caroline Ducharme, Ayanna Patterson, Amari DeBerry, Ines Bettencourt - Caroline is battling her way back into shape, Patterson is just a raw force, Amari is 6'5" and Bettencourt has a lot of international experience and it is just a matter of time before we start to see it on the floor. For the first time this year...I am going with: Advantage - UConn

Intangibles
- UConn will play this game in front of the home crowd...the students will be out in force and our Huskies will indeed put on a show. Providence for lack of a better term is point challenged...they only average 65 points per game while UConn averages 87.5 points per game. UConn's ability to shoot and make the three ball at 8.0 per game to Providence's 4.9 per game is part of the reason why UConn will move out to a large margin of victory early in the game. While Providence actually averages more rebounds per game than UConn...UConn's athleticism and size will make Providence perform far below their average in this game. I think UConn's defensive pressure will cause Providence to turn the ball over more than they usually do. Advantage - UConn

Coaching
- I will keep this one short. Advantage - UConn

Reaction Score
This match-up approach to analyzing the game doesn't take into account if the opposing team decides to play primarily zone. Which given Providences inability to cover UConn's talented players I expect to see Providence play. However, since this is only an exercise in looking at players who most likely will start and what kind of production can be expected from each position there is value in at least taking a look. UConn presents match-up problems for Providence at just about every position.

Olivia Olsen vs Aaliyah Edwards - Aaliyah will dominate the paint in this game. Her footwork in the paint and her ability to step out and make the foul line jumper along with her overall athleticism will give her another double - double. Advantage - UConn

Janai Crooms vs Azzi Fudd - Janai
is Providence's most productive player...she plays the same position as Azzi and is similar in size...however, Azzi while not being as good a rebounder as Janai...her offensive ability to get to the hole, to pop and shoot and to spot up for three will be a nightmare for Providence who I suspect will have no answer for Azzi. Advantage - UConn

Brynn Farrell vs Lou Lopez-Senechal
- Brynn has started every game and has been consistent for Providence but as noted in the author of this thread's post they have not played anyone of any quality. UConn on the other hand has already played 3 top 10 teams. Lou is showing the UConn fans that she is the real deal. She is a natural scorer and her defense is far better than we first suspected it would be. Lou will prove to be too much for Brynn. Advantage - UConn

Grace Efosa vs Nika Muhl
- If Grace actually gets the nod to start and not Megan Huerter or Kylee Sheppard she will have a very difficult night with the lttle gnat hounding her. In fact this may become a team effort by the above mentioned three players all of which who after chasing Nika around will be glad to see the game end. While the position may result in Providence scoring more points and getting more rebounds...Nika's ability to put the ball in the hands of her team mates in a position where they can score and her ability as an on-ball defender will allow Nika to impact the game from this position better than any of them on the Providence side of the ball. Advantage - UConn

Emily Archibald vs Aubrey Griffin - Now this is a nightmare match-up for Emily. How will Emily handle Aubrey's athleticism, speed and ability to explode to the ball. My guess is not well. I look for Aubrey to have a fantastic game. Advantage - UConn

Bench
- Providence - Naraiah Scott, Kylee Sheppard, Meagan Huerter vs Caroline Ducharme, Ayanna Patterson, Amari DeBerry, Ines Bettencourt - Caroline is battling her way back into shape, Patterson is just a raw force, Amari is 6'5" and Bettencourt has a lot of international experience and it is just a matter of time before we start to see it on the floor. For the first time this year...I am going with: Advantage - UConn

Intangibles
- UConn will play this game in front of the home crowd...the students will be out in force and our Huskies will indeed put on a show. Providence for lack of a better term is point challenged...they only average 65 points per game while UConn averages 87.5 points per game. UConn's ability to shoot and make the three ball at 8.0 per game to Providence's 4.9 per game is part of the reason why UConn will move out to a large margin of victory early in the game. While Providence actually averages more rebounds per game than UConn...UConn's athleticism and size will make Providence perform far below their average in this game. I think UConn's defensive pressure will cause Providence to turn the ball over more than they usually do. Advantage - UConn

Coaching
- I will keep this one short. Advantage - UConn

Reaction Score
Very well put together and I agree with you. Hopefully we get up big early and Geno gets to use the depth and they play well.

Reaction Score
Must be in la,la land or something.
But this is Providence College. DB’s school over 40 years ago. When they penciled W on the schedule for Connecticut before Kerry Bascom changed everything. Over 30 years ago.
Providence does not beat Connecticut more than once every 40 years...perhaps 50 ?

Reaction Score
Olsen is a leaper -- she's got the hops! -- still, she doesn't stand a chance against Aaliyah Aubrey Ayanna in the post.

Last season, when they still had Alyssa Geary and Mary Baskerville next to Olsen, they could be forceful in the paint.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Olsen is a leaper -- she's got the hops! -- still, she doesn't stand a chance against Aaliyah Aubrey Ayanna in the post.

Last season, when they still had Alyssa Geary and Mary Baskerville next to Olsen, they could be forceful in the paint.
When Geary entered the transfer portal I wondered if she was interested in coming to UConn (and vice versa) to see if she would improve her game but alas...

Reaction Score
Providence is not at fault in this game as they simply do not have Uconns fire power. It's the old theory of " When a superior force meets an inferior force, The superior force will always win. ". I predict a 25 point win. Not Providence's fault, they don't have it. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
If, when, Uconn comes to play, like they did against Texas, NC State and Iowa, Providence is in trouble. A good game for Ayanna, Ines, and Amari to get some chops...

Reaction Score
Providence hasn't played a defense anywhere near as good as UConn's. This game is a good test of focus for UConn. They can play just a half and will likely outscore Providence's two halves.

Reaction Score
When Geary entered the transfer portal I wondered if she was interested in coming to UConn (and vice versa) to see if she would improve her game but alas...
I’ve also been impressed with Geary’s effort and willingness to shoot.
Not to denigrate the Providence program or the players or coaches, but she’s one of the players you think might do well at a more competitive school

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I’ve also been impressed with Geary’s effort and willingness to shoot.
Not to denigrate the Providence program or the players or coaches, but she’s one of the players you think might do well at a more competitive school
My last swerve about Geary...doesn't appear that she is getting much playing time at Indiana so far this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom