OT: Prayers needed.....feeling a bit like Job..... | The Boneyard

OT: Prayers needed.....feeling a bit like Job.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Hi everyone!

Well its been a rough few months. On August 8th I was let go from my job of 24 years (kinda relieved, actually). My original job was downsized and I was moved into another position that I hated and the hours were terrible. I survived for a year but then was terminated. At the same time I was terminated, my elderly parents took a turn for the worse health wise.

My father was hospitalized twice having his blood sugar spike over 1000, causing him to have 2 small heart attacks. His doctor was amazed that he was still alive. His short term memory is really bad, so me and my older brother take shifts watching my dad and making sure he is taking his meds correctly. while this was going on we found that my mom had cirrhosis of the liver due to diabetic complications and was filling up with fluid. She had not been mobile for quite some time it turns out. My sister came from North Carolina and Boise to help out and each stayed for about 1 month getting things organized, paying bills and such before handing it off to me and my brother.

About a week and a half ago I had a car accident which totally destroyed the front end of my car. So now I am borrowing my dads car (Dr. pulled his license but my dad thinks he can still drive). Not to mention that I got a speeding ticket about a month ago as well (before accident). Right now my dad is doing a lot better he is 60% within his "normal" range but it can be frustrating because he cant remember short term and has taken a double dose of insulin when I was out visiting my mom, who appears to have had a small stroke while her blood sugar crashed. She has been in a nursing home ever since and we just found out last Friday night that she has terminal ovarian cancer. My dad and the rest of the family are devastated by this.

We never saw this coming. We always believed that my dad would be the one to go first because of his troubled history with his blood sugar. So as we make arrangements to bring mom home to die and finding a way to pay for the home care she will need, I am asking all of you to prayer for her and especially my dad who will be losing his best friend of of over 67 years (they have been married for 62 years). I am most worried about him. I'm not so worried about my mom, I know as a Christian that God will make good on his promise that whoever believes in him will have eternal life. She will be happy and pain free.

This is the song I wish to played at my moms memorial....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wow, my last 2-3 months haven't been so great, but geez, you win. Sorry to hear about all the trouble. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
great song.....I wish you peace in this most difficult of times which is easier said than done, because sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel can be so very dim at times. I know. I have been there.

Take good care of yourself and know that your friends are thinking of you...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'll be sending good thoughts to all of you.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Said a prayer for you and your family. Take a look at 2 Corinthians 4: 17-18 when time permits.

Reaction Score
First and foremost, you and your family-all of them-are in my prayers for peace, strength and comfort.

Second, life seldom gives us only one problem at a time. They always seem to come in bunches. And you have had way more than your share. Life can be so unfair. While all of these events are happening and individually are horrible things, there are some silver linings. If you were still working, with the turn in you parents' health you would either have had to take unpaid FMLA or stop working for a time anyway. It may not have been the way you wanted it but you now have more time to devote to your parents in their twilight years in their time of need. And with your accident and vehicle issues the fact that your dad's doctor forced him to stop driving has resulted in you having a vehicle to use AND making sure he doesn't take the keys to go for a drive on his own. I would not go so far to suggest you be grateful for losing your job and wrecking your car. That still sucks. But you can care for your parents without your employer trying to rush you back to work and the stress that comes with that and you don't have to spend time and money shopping for another car just yet or worrying that dad will sneak out.

Take care of your parents but don't forget to take care of yourself too. It is easy to lose sight of just how important that is.

Your Boneyard family is here for you and I for one will keep you in my prayers.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Thanks CL82! Its so true.
First and foremost, you and your family-all of them-are in my prayers for peace, strength and comfort.

Second, life seldom gives us only one problem at a time. They always seem to come in bunches. And you have had way more than your share. Life can be so unfair. While all of these events are happening and individually are horrible things, there are some silver linings. If you were still working, with the turn in you parents' health you would either have had to take unpaid FMLA or stop working for a time anyway. It may not have been the way you wanted it but you now have more time to devote to your parents in their twilight years in their time of need. And with your accident and vehicle issues the fact that your dad's doctor forced him to stop driving has resulted in you having a vehicle to use AND making sure he doesn't take the keys to go for a drive on his own. I would not go so far to suggest you be grateful for losing your job and wrecking your car. That still sucks. But you can care for your parents without your employer trying to rush you back to work and the stress that comes with that and you don't have to spend time and money shopping for another car just yet or worrying that dad will sneak out.

Take care of your parents but don't forget to take care of yourself too. It is easy to lose sight of just how important that is.

Your Boneyard family is here for you and I for one will keep you in my prayers.

I have always looked at it as Gods plan for me. I don't doubt the HE has better things in store for me. Either here on Earth and definitely in the eternal. God is good....ALWAYS!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Prayers go your way. Hope all goes as well as it can and things turn out as best they can.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Thanks CL82! Its so true.

I have always looked at it as Gods plan for me. I don't doubt the HE has better things in store for me. Either here on Earth and definitely in the eternal. God is good....ALWAYS!
Wise words.My prayers go out for this tragedy.I will agree though,that there is a plan,somewhere down the road.
My life has been full of mistakes and personal tragedy.However,no matter what has or will happen,there is always something constructive that comes out of it.
After a bad storm,there is always sunshine coming,though we might not see it over the horizon yet.

Reaction Score
You and your family will be in my prayers.

Regarding your mother's home care have you contacted hospice? They were great when my co-worker was dying of cancer. I don't believe they charge anything, maybe a donation if you can spare it.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
You and your family are in my prayers. My mother passed from ovarian cancer.

I echo Chapette's thought to make sure you take care of yourself.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score

Regarding your mother's home care have you contacted hospice? They were great when my co-worker was dying of cancer. I don't believe they charge anything, maybe a donation if you can spare it.

Beemer....from what I understand they do not provide home care until the very end. Right now, as far as I know, she is not "critical". Will know tomorrow after family talk with Dr. thanks for the heads up!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
God Bless you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
My thanks to you all for prayers and words of encouragement. It is a tough time right now but I know that God will be with us always and that he is never far away. God Bless you ALL!

G

genosguy

Hi everyone!

Well its been a rough few months. On August 8th I was let go from my job of 24 years (kinda relieved, actually). My original job was downsized and I was moved into another position that I hated and the hours were terrible. I survived for a year but then was terminated. At the same time I was terminated, my elderly parents took a turn for the worse health wise.

My father was hospitalized twice having his blood sugar spike over 1000, causing him to have 2 small heart attacks. His doctor was amazed that he was still alive. His short term memory is really bad, so me and my older brother take shifts watching my dad and making sure he is taking his meds correctly. while this was going on we found that my mom had cirrhosis of the liver due to diabetic complications and was filling up with fluid. She had not been mobile for quite some time it turns out. My sister came from North Carolina and Boise to help out and each stayed for about 1 month getting things organized, paying bills and such before handing it off to me and my brother.

About a week and a half ago I had a car accident which totally destroyed the front end of my car. So now I am borrowing my dads car (Dr. pulled his license but my dad thinks he can still drive). Not to mention that I got a speeding ticket about a month ago as well (before accident). Right now my dad is doing a lot better he is 60% within his "normal" range but it can be frustrating because he cant remember short term and has taken a double dose of insulin when I was out visiting my mom, who appears to have had a small stroke while her blood sugar crashed. She has been in a nursing home ever since and we just found out last Friday night that she has terminal ovarian cancer. My dad and the rest of the family are devastated by this.

We never saw this coming. We always believed that my dad would be the one to go first because of his troubled history with his blood sugar. So as we make arrangements to bring mom home to die and finding a way to pay for the home care she will need, I am asking all of you to prayer for her and especially my dad who will be losing his best friend of of over 67 years (they have been married for 62 years). I am most worried about him. I'm not so worried about my mom, I know as a Christian that God will make good on his promise that whoever believes in him will have eternal life. She will be happy and pain free.

This is the song I wish to played at my moms memorial....

Tough as it is to read: Welcome to the REAL world. Life is rarely about easy going. It's about dealing with what life gives us. Life is what happens while you are waiting for it to get better. No need for me to go into death, dying, cancerous, Diabetes, Meso, accidents, job failures, we have suffered--suffice to say. Excrement happens. We who are going thru it and have gone thru it--just pull up the hitch and keep on pulling the wagon of life. Those that rely on us--don't need us to fail them now.

Reaction Score
AB: have prayed for all concerned there. Hope you will keep us informed.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
AB - thinking of you and your family. Wondering if perhaps there is a visiting nurses group near you that might be able to help out with your mother? Or a group connected with your Church that might lend a hand by keeping her or your dad company once in a while? You have a lot on your plate, and was just trying to think of some small ways to take some stress off you.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
May I comment on the power of prayer?

The 9-year old son of a very dear friend of ours got whacked in the playground and his liver was damaged. When he got to the hospital, they discovered a huge cancerous tumor in his liver. After treatment in the Mayo Clinic and chemo to arrest the cancer, it was determined that a liver transplant was the only do-or-die solution.

Among the many, many prayers offered, God heard (at least) one. In New York, a 19-year old was tragically killed in an auto accident. His liver was successfully transplanted to our friend's son. He now appears to have a long life ahead of him.

Let us pray.

Reaction Score
Beemer....from what I understand they do not provide home care until the very end. Right now, as far as I know, she is not "critical". Will know tomorrow after family talk with Dr. thanks for the heads up!
My friend's dad had hospice care at home until he passed away recently. He was still with us 6 months in so hospice considered discontinuing care...but they didn't...and stayed with him until the end, at home in his own bed. They were fabulous.

Reaction Score
Tough as it is to read: Welcome to the REAL world. Life is rarely about easy going. It's about dealing with what life gives us. Life is what happens while you are waiting for it to get better. No need for me to go into death, dying, cancerous, Diabetes, Meso, accidents, job failures, we have suffered--suffice to say. Excrement happens. We who are going thru it and have gone thru it--just pull up the hitch and keep on pulling the wagon of life. Those that rely on us--don't need us to fail them now.
Wow, harsh. He's just venting a little and asking for some prayers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Man, AB...what a tough turn of events. I hope you and your parents are with you all through the holidays. Sounds like these two loooooong-time love birds won't stay separated long...which is sad and romantic.

Peace

Reaction Score

Hospice is covered by Medicare. They want you to sign a DNR, which is hard but probably appropriate by the time they're on the scene. They provide incredible help--medical, social, psychological. A wonderful service.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Tough row(s) to hoe! Wishing you blessings & peace. Prayers on the way!

Reaction Score
We 'all' have crosses to carry. Come in different sizes & multiples. Why God does this, difficult to see the good. Only HE knows the reasons. Makes us move toward Him or away. It certainly, in most cases gets us to acknowledge & pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom