Practice | The Boneyard

Practice

Reaction Score
I remember during Fiasco/Disco era we'd played a game so poorly somebody made mention on the board 'WTF are we doing all week' during practice as we prepared for the game.
I think that question comes to mind again nowadays. The only reason I bring this up is because we have some SERIOUS tackling deficiencies once teams get to our 2nd and 3rd level guys on D. Yes, we're better, but it's not fixed. I'm not used to seeing us being weak tacklers. Never will be. Unacceptable.
Are they not allowed to tackle during practice? If that's the case, and we primarily recruit undersized kids as it is, then that's not good for us. We lost already, so why go out and play when you know you can't tell if a kid can make an open field tackle???

Reaction Score
They're allowed to tackle in practice, the amount is limited by the NCAA. Its rare to see live drills during game weeks, mostly in camp. Diaco used to go live 11s every few game weeks for a period and would do Rodeo (Oklahoma drill basically) on occasion. Its mostly tackling those blue foam dummy things in game week. I wasn't really around for Edsall so I can't speak to his practice weeks but I'd imagine its not far off.

Reaction Score
Full Contact is much more limited than in the old days, due to wanting to avoid injury. The problem is there is no substitute for concentrated full contact drills. The bigger issue is we seem to have not a lot of naturally instinctive football players. Might be athletes but not football talented. Big difference.

Reaction Score
Our tackling is getting better, but you’re right, it still has a long way to go.

I don’t like to point at specific kids, but King was simply awful last night. And we have nothing at LB. Mitchell may end up being a good one, but he was invisible last night. Morgan can play a little. But, we simply do not have the LB play we need to be a good defense especially against Navy.

Reaction Score
I doubt that anyone playing at this level doesn’t know how to tackle. Some guys just don’t like contact. It’s as simple as that.

Reaction Score
yeah there are a few consistent offenders who get into position, then duck their heads and try to shoulder block rather than square up and wrap on the tackle.. King seems to be one of the more consistent offenders there

Reaction Score
yeah there are a few consistent offenders who get into position, then duck their heads and try to shoulder block rather than square up and wrap on the tackle.. King seems to be one of the more consistent offenders there

King has to be one of the worst tacklers in the country. The kid never uses his arms to tackle. He should be on the bench until he learns to tackle

Reaction Score
King has to be one of the worst tacklers in the country. The kid never uses his arms to tackle. He should be on the bench until he learns to tackle

He was literally in the entire Navy highlights replay except when Myles Bell fell a sleep on his disastrous td.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Players need to wrap, that will improve the overall team tackling.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: The Navy QB is hard to tackle and the running back was explosive
BUT I get it - UConn has had a technical issue with tackle for a few years now
Must be in the water................ :p

Reaction Score
Wrapping up is not "the" problem. It's a problem among many.

Bigger issues are being blown of the line. Playing soft in the secondary. Giving up huge play after huge play in both he running and passing game. It is a lack of aggression. Just getting into a position where we fail to wrap up is a victory.

Reaction Score
I recall Edsall saying in one of his weekly press conferences a few weeks ago that there is no tackling of other players in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom