Practice | The Boneyard

Practice

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Just sayin,, the doors by the Werth Center are unlocked at night. (But you didnt hear it from me)
My friends and I used to be able to sneak in and shoot around in Gampel, and snoop around the bowels because they used to leave doors open over the summer (I think they've learned their lesson by now).

One day a few years back we were trying to get in, but the doors were locked all around, so we gave up. As we were walking away, Shabazz walked out of the blue Gampel doors with the cool UConn logos. So we tried to sneak behind him and get in the door before it closed, but he saw us because Shabazz is pretty much a Jedi and scolded us and told us to shut the door and to never try to do that.
That was the last day we ever tried to sneak into Gampel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My friends and I used to be able to sneak in and shoot around in Gampel, and snoop around the bowels because they used to leave doors open over the summer (I think they've learned their lesson by now).

One day a few years back we were trying to get in, but the doors were locked all around, so we gave up. As we were walking away, Shabazz walked out of the blue Gampel doors with the cool UConn logos. So we tried to sneak behind him and get in the door before it closed, but he saw us because Shabazz is pretty much a Jedi and scolded us and told us to shut the door and to never try to do that.
During that Calhoun era I was on campus with my young kids and they wanted to go inside Gampel, which was locked. I went in through rec center using the same doors were left open since I used to go there. There was a practice going on. We sat down and watched quietly. Eventually Calhoun noticed us looked at Hobbs, looked at us and shrugged and Hobbsy came over and very politely asked us to leave.

Reaction Score
During that Calhoun era I was on campus with my young kids and they wanted to go inside Gampel, which was locked. I went in through rec center using the same doors were left open since I used to go there. There was a practice going on. We sat down and watched quietly. Eventually Calhoun noticed us looked at Hobbs, looked at us and shrugged and Hobbsy came over and very politely asked us to leave.
I watched about 10 minutes of a Calhoun practice when I was up visiting my daughter in fall 2010. The doors to Gampel were open so I just walked in. I was the only non player or associate there. It was fun. He had to have seen me but he neither acknowledged me nor asked me to leave and I didn't over stay my welcome. Jim GOAT

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I watched about 10 minutes of a Calhoun practice when I was up visiting my daughter in fall 2010. The doors to Gampel were open so I just walked in. I was the only non player or associate there. It was fun. He had to have seen me but he neither acknowledged me nor asked no to leave and I didn't over stay my welcome. Jim GOAT
Well now I'm mad. ;)

Reaction Score
I used to rollerblade through Gampel during various practices, men’s and women’s. This was back in 1994 or so. I’d keep going on that smooth as silky concrete and watch practice for as long as I could which was sometimes a surprisingly long time. It was fun watching them practice. Maybe they let me stay longer bc I was a student?

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
I watched about 10 minutes of a Calhoun practice when I was up visiting my daughter in fall 2010. The doors to Gampel were open so I just walked in. I was the only non player or associate there. It was fun. He had to have seen me but he neither acknowledged me nor asked me to leave and I didn't over stay my welcome. Jim GOAT
I watched a handful of practices while on was on campus from 2007-2011. Gampel was always unlocked and nobody ever told me to leave. Sometime I was the only one there, sometimes there were a few other people around.

C

Chief00

We were playing 3 on 3 in Gampel earlier in the day before a Miami home game. Calhoun and Harry Hartley were sitting in the stands talking. Jim sent Harry down to referee. It was surreal the President of the University refereeing a 3 on 3 game. Calhoun got a good laugh out of it.

Reaction Score

When I was a kid in the 50’s we lived in Storrs. My friends and I would not sneak in but just walk into the fieldhouse. We would go in the gym there( forget the name) find a ball and play pickup games. If the main court was not being used where the games were played, we would play there. We used to hang around at practices with old coach Hugh Greer, who was a super nice guy and never threw us out. Times have sure changed.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Snoop around the bowls is a great double entendre.

Reaction Score
I was there 98-02 and it was super easy to get in. If Gampel was locked, you used to be able to meander in through the Field House and always find an open door somewhere. JCs practices were a sight to see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom