Power of deep team | The Boneyard

Power of deep team

Reaction Score
Our 3 points shooting had an off night, our FTs were subpar, but we found a win against a good team. This is indicative of the power of deep team:

It does not alter my opinion on him an iota: he is ducking whiny loser! And Ajax and Hawk are tight as band of brothers!

Reaction Score
Sanogo had a so so game, and we still won against a very good team.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is a great player. He still needs to learn to allow the game come to him. When he gets in a bit of a rut or is frustrated, he forces things when they aren't there. I didn't feel he did it as much vs G'Town but last night it was obvious.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
One option teams have is "deny Sanogo any touches and force everyone else to beat you" and in the Gtown game, those early open shots just weren't falling.

But he's still an important part of the team if he makes the defenses adapt to his presence.

We have so many options offensively that it's a pick your poison situation for opposing defenses. They chose to deny Sanogo the ball, and they did a great job of it. If we were hitting our 3s it wouldn't have been a close game.

Reaction Score
Sanogo is a great player. He still needs to learn to allow the game come to him. When he gets in a bit of a rut or is frustrated, he forces things when they aren't there. I didn't feel he did it as much vs G'Town but last night it was obvious.

I remember his forcing it 2x yesterday, and he made one. He was 3/6 from the field. It wasn't a matter of bad shots... he just didn't take many shots at all.

Reaction Score
Would love to see more plays designed to isolate Clingan. One time, he took the pass, immediately turned and rammed it home with a dunk- but, the play was disallowed because a foul had been called just prior to the pass. He was on the bench a lot (or it seemed to me).

Reaction Score
My big takes about the depth are:

1. Different bench weapons will contribute on different nights based on matchup
2. We can press like crazy and put some fear in other teams. Nova pulled up on at least 3 on 1 when they saw that the 1 back was Clingan. HD, NA, JH, AJ and DC is a scary press!
3. Based on #2, Nova was out of timeouts at the 8 min mark in the 2nd half and tired.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Subpar? We shot over 85% on our FTs
Well, if missing 15% of the time is acceptable to you…

Reaction Score
I didn’t think we played well last night and still beat Nova by 8. We are so deep. We simply wear teams out. 3 of our starters could have “off” nights, and other guys pick up the slack.
And we could've easily beaten Villanove by 20 points had it not been for the technical and if we had a better night hitting 3 pointers. Yes, Hawkins shot very well...but the margin would've been much more if a few extra 3 pointers had been made.

Reaction Score
Well, if missing 15% of the time is acceptable to you…
You sound like my brother who thinks every shot should go in and we should never travel or have turnovers and especially miss free throws. Like he says all these guys do is play basketball.
85% from the line would make us the best free throw shooting team in the country. I would be thrilled with 78%

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You sound like my brother who thinks every shot should go in and we should never travel or have turnovers and especially miss free throws. Like he says all these guys do is play basketball.
85% from the line would make us the best free throw shooting team in the country. I would be thrilled with 78%
Joking Just Kidding GIF

Reaction Score
And we could've easily beaten Villanove by 20 points had it not been for the technical and if we had a better night hitting 3 pointers. Yes, Hawkins shot very well...but the margin would've been much more if a few extra 3 pointers had been made.
Imagine if we missed a couple of the ones we made.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Got out rebounded again. That needs ti change. Both Gtown and Nova focused on Sanogo hard and tried to make our guards (Newtown and Hawkins) defend in isolation. Other than a couple trips, Hawk really upped his D. Diarra got beat once on an inbound, but was also stellar.

These are the differences between a 8-10 pt win and a 20 pt win. Sanogo had an off night was was there at the end and Hawk had a brilliant first have. Add in a rebound performance from Karaban to go with a six-pack of steady from everyone else and you have your W.

Reaction Score
Nova is coming on and will have to be dealt with later.

Reaction Score
My thought at the end of the game was that we could have made a few better timed subs. A little more DC maybe?
We rotated players in and it worked slightly less efficiently then in previous games- which affected our offensive flow.
Feels good to be talking about little adjustments that are completely within our power - no magic - just fine tuning the 8-12 cylinder engine we have this year.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My buddy and I were saying exactly that while we watched. He said “if we ever got hot from deep it’s over.” There were points in the game where back to back 3’s would have broken Novas back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom