Power Football and Great D | The Boneyard

Power Football and Great D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Somebody better tell Nick Saban and Urban Meyer that you can win with Power Football and a great D.

They just keep winning NC - imagine how much better they would be with an Air RAID offense??/

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Somebody better tell Nick Saban and Urban Meyer that you can win with Power Football and a great D.

They just keep winning NC - imagine how much better they would be with an Air RAID offense??/

Those two can only get away with it because they don't have to regularly deal with the offensive juggernauts that are AAC teams. Have you seen the coordinators their bringing in!?

Reaction Score
Schemes like the spread/air raid/zone read option were devised for teams with lesser talent to compete against more talented opponents. Saban and Meyer are able to win with pro style attacks because they are unbelievable recruiters and constantly have recruiting classes in the top ten. Talent > Scheme wins 90% of the time

Reaction Score
Schemes like the spread/air raid/zone read option were devised for teams with lesser talent to compete against more talented opponents. Saban and Meyer are able to win with pro style attacks because they are unbelievable recruiters and constantly have recruiting classes in the top ten. Talent > Scheme wins 90% of the time

I guess you have not yet seen the stars don't matter memo that regularly circulates on the BY.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
LOL. Them winning titles has nothing to do with loading their rosters with the best HS players in America. No it's all about the systems.

It is interesting to see that the best coaches in the country try to win with the same system that HCRE won with and Diaco wants to win with.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

I don't know. I heard the B!G doesn't have the players or talent or speed to compete with the SEC or PAC10

Reaction Score
247 used for all College Football Playoff teams.

2014 Rankings:
1. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
21. Oregon

2013 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
10. Florida State
19. Oregon

2012 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
5. Ohio State
13. Oregon

2011 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
7. Ohio State
11. Oregon

Yeah, good call. Clearly, the system doesn't work. I'm sure if Oregon played "power football" they would easily be able to destroy the Alabamas, Ohio States, and FSUs of the world.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
247 used for all College Football Playoff teams.

2014 Rankings:
1. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
21. Oregon

2013 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Ohio State
10. Florida State
19. Oregon

2012 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
5. Ohio State
13. Oregon

2011 Rankings:
1. Alabama
2. Florida State
7. Ohio State
11. Oregon

So you look at those numbers and think, gosh, Oregon's system CLEARLY doesn't work. If only they played power football and great defense, maybe they, too, could be a great team.

Well, Oregon has certainly had the talent.

Yes, I do think Saban or Meyer would have won a NC with that talent. Is that definitive enough an opinion for you?

Reaction Score
Well, Oregon has certainly had the talent.

Yes, I do think Saban or Meyer would have won a NC with that talent. Is that definitive enough an opinion for you?

It's definitely an opinion. But nothing about watching last night made me think Oregon had the talent up front to compete against Ohio State, or Alabama, for that matter. Nevermind the talent at WR or RB. At QB, sure. But a QB alone won't win you a title.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
It's definitely an opinion. But nothing about watching last night made me think Oregon had the talent up front to compete against Ohio State, or Alabama, for that matter. Nevermind the talent at WR or RB. At QB, sure. But a QB alone won't win you a title.

They have developed a terrific system for coming in second. They are the Mitt Romney of college football. NOthing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Except meyer runs a lot of zone read, spread stuff. Other than that, the OP has a great point.

Reaction Score
It is interesting to see that the best coaches in the country try to win with the same system that HCRE won with and Diaco wants to win with.
Yeah, how many times you see OSU line up in power i with a fullback last night? Don't confuse the fact that Meyer is smart enough to know that Oregon wasn't stopping their running back and their 250lb running QB, with running the same schemes Edsall did. For the love of God keep it real.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
From my perspective....it isn't about scheme...it's about points. I think people on here just want to see points on the board. If Diaco can run pro style offense and put up 30 points a game, that'll work. I really don't think people care if it is a gimmick offense or pro style. What people don't want to see is UConn once again ranked 125th in points scored at 15.5 per game.

Reaction Score
Oregon recruits for speed over power. Running as many plays as possible on offense also means your linemen have to be in really good shape and are not necessarily the strongest. The problem that Oregon faces is that when they meet a power team with just enough speed, they have trouble. Stanford has given Oregon good games with their power offense and strong D. Oregon's offense works against good teams that are not prepared and teams with less talent and they can run up the scores.

As for defense, Oregon's defense was not big enough or strong enough to match up with Ohio St.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Except meyer runs a lot of zone read, spread stuff. Other than that, the OP has a great point.

Meyer runs a downhill power version of the spread. It is very much power football. Both guys understand that you have to win in the trenches on both sides of the ball to be any good first.

Reaction Score
Meyer runs a downhill power version of the spread. It is very much power football. Both guys understand that you have to win in the trenches on both sides of the ball to be any good first.
You don't think its because he has stud offensive linemen? Again its about points. Good luck trying to win 17- 10 games these days.

Reaction Score

You give me a running back like Ezekiel Elliot who averages 230 yards in 3 games, Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon State and my team will win 90% of the time! Of course it helps to have a stud O line and a killer defense too. Urban Meyer and Saban are master recruiters and Ohio State is stacked for the next couple of years. If I am Elliot, I would be thinking of going Pro right now except he is a Heisman favorite for next year. Running backs career is too short. Oregon had the talent but they did not have a runner as good as Ezekiel Elliot!

Reaction Score
OSU showed that power still matters in winning football games. They physically beat-up Oregon.

Reaction Score

Ohio State was greatly helped because their third string QB was a brilliant passer. I doubt they get to the championship game with Whitmer at QB.

Alabama had the best WR in the country.

They didn't win with running and defense alone.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I doubt they get to the championship game with Whitmer at QB.

We will never know...but interesting you had to use the word 'doubt' as opposed to the NEVER - so in your mind, way deep in the back of it you are thinking maybe he could - interesting word choice by you.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
You give me a running back like Ezekiel Elliot who averages 230 yards in 3 games, Wisconsin, Alabama and Oregon State and my team will win 90% of the time! Of course it helps to have a stud O line and a killer defense too. Urban Meyer and Saban are master recruiters and Ohio State is stacked for the next couple of years. If I am Elliot, I would be thinking of going Pro right now except he is a Heisman favorite for next year. Running backs career is too short. Oregon had the talent but they did not have a runner as good as Ezekiel Elliot!

Elliot can't go pro, not old enough yet. Has to play one more year. Oregon's freshman RB is a stud also, but he wasn't running behind OSU's line or against Oregon's line.

Reaction Score
Elliot can't go pro, not old enough yet. Has to play one more year. Oregon's freshman RB is a stud also, but he wasn't running behind OSU's line or against Oregon's line.

No comparison to Ezekiel Elliot. He is a very special, Elite running back. He's old enough but he has to play one more year which is a stupid rule, especially because of the short career running backs have in the NFL.

Also a standout track & field athlete, Elliott was a state qualifier in sprinting and hurdling events. He capped his high school career by winning four state championships at the Missouri Class 3 state championships in 2-1/2 hours (100-meter dash, 200, 110 high hurdles and 300 hurdles).[3] He recorded career-best times of 10.95 seconds in the 100-meter dash, 22.05 seconds in the 200-meter dash, 13.77 seconds in the 110m hurdles and 37.52 seconds in the 300m hurdles.[4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom