Power 5 Vote Uncertainty for UConn | The Boneyard

Power 5 Vote Uncertainty for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

It would really suck if there were two basketball tournaments at the end of the year.

One for the big time schools and another for the schools like UCONN - on the outside looking in.

Or if other schools could pay athletes and UCONN couldn't.

Unless we get on the inside, UCONN athletics (including women's BB) will die a slow death.

Princeton FB DOMINATED college football for years and now they are nothing nationally. That's the danger.

Reaction Score
IMHO UConn has 3 years to get into a Power 5 conference or Uconn athletics as we know it is nothing but a memory.

Reaction Score
At least we'd go back to student-athletes being real students which is more important than wins. Right now student-athletes are anything but students. Basketball and football are basically free minor leagues for the pro leagues while the schools rake in tons of money. That said I think the P5 should have broke away into their own division. That's essentially what this is anyway. G5 conferences aren't going to be able to afford to adopt the same rules. In the AAC, which schools do you think would vote to adopt the P5 rules? My guess is UConn, Cincinnati, and then ... ? Doubt those smaller schools are going to have the resources to compete with an Ohio State or Alabama nor do I think they have the desire to do so.

Reaction Score
At first I was given the impression that there would be near complete autonomy, but not so fast. It will tip the playing field in the favor of the Power 5 for football especially with those that have the resources which is what it is all about, but not so much for basketball. UCONN at present may not and probably does not match the financial resources of a football factory like Alabama.

So like everyone else including Including probably Ward Emanuel et al, I'll take a wait and see attitude. It hasn't even been voted on yet so I suspect there will some further tweaking done.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
At first I was given the impression that there would be near complete autonomy, but not so fast. It will tip the playing field in the favor of the Power 5 for football especially with those that have the resources which is what it is all about, but not so much for basketball. UCONN at present may not and probably does not match the financial resources of a football factory like Alabama.

So like everyone else including Including probably Ward Emanuel et al, I'll take a wait and see attitude. It hasn't even been voted on yet so I suspect there will some further tweaking done.

Its the first step of separation - you are crazy if you think it won't impact basketball. There will be separate tournaments and there will be payments allowed to basketball players (men and women) at some schools and no payments at others. Recruiting is going to be tough once the other team can offer a salary of sorts and UCONN can't.

Don't for second think this isn't the eventual plan.

If UCONN doesn't get in, its the start of the slow death of all UCONN programs being able to compete nationally.

Reaction Score
Its the first step of separation - you are crazy if you think it won't impact basketball. There will be separate tournaments and there will be payments allowed to basketball players (men and women) at some schools and no payments at others. Recruiting is going to be tough once the other team can offer a salary of sorts and UCONN can't.

Don't for second think this isn't the eventual plan.

If UCONN doesn't get in, its the start of the slow death of all UCONN programs being able to compete nationally.
First, your beginning is a typical boneyard response, starting by needlessly calling me crazy which is the reason why I seldom post here.

Secondly, nothing has been carved in stone yet as we still don't have the specifics. To take a wait and see attitude is probably most prudent of all choices.
Also the very construct of football as opposed to basketball relies on two polar opposites to succeed particularly the post season.

Football's post season is controlled by the bowls and requiring just a select few for their playoffs to be successful whereas the NCAA Tournament's life blood is the diversity and inclusion of as many as possible leading to the Cinderella driven scenario which can not happen in football. How is the Power 5 with 64 teams going to have a selection show let along provide the underdog, mid major inclusion that has vaulted the NCAA Tournament to such lofty heights.

They are not going to undermined basketball's success by destroying the very thing that made it successful. The more in basketball the better.

This is about football and the revenue streams they generate. Basketball is an after thought in some respects and yes theEd O'Bannon case hangs like Damocles Sword over the NCAA that is why they need to iron out the specifics to balance two sports that generate revenues but rely on different parameters especially in the post season to survive.

With that. adieu. This isn't the first time I made a post that was replied to irrationally here. Goodbye all.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Pearlstreetbb said:
First, your beginning is a typical boneyard response, starting by needlessly calling me crazy which is the reason why I seldom post here. Secondly, nothing has been carved in stone yet as we still don't have the specifics. To take a wait and see attitude is probably most prudent of all choices. Also the very construct of football as opposed to basketball relies on two polar opposites to succeed particularly the post season. Football's post season is controlled by the bowls and requiring just a select few for their playoffs to be successful whereas the NCAA Tournament's life blood is the diversity and inclusion of as many as possible leading to the Cinderella driven scenario which can not happen in football. How is the Power 5 with 64 teams going to have a selection show let along provide the underdog, mid major inclusion that has vaulted the NCAA Tournament to such lofty heights. They are not going to undermined basketball's success by destroying the very thing that made it successful. The more in basketball the better. This is about football and the revenue streams they generate. Basketball is an after thought in some respects and yes theEd O'Bannon case hangs like Damocles Sword over the NCAA that is why they need to iron out the specifics to balance two sports that generate revenues but rely on different parameters especially in the post season to survive. With that. adieu. This isn't the first time I made a post that was replied to irrationally here. Goodbye all.

He quite clearly used "crazy" within a figure of speech, i.e., "you're crazy if you think [such and such]..."

I don't happen to agree with his position verbatim but it is far from irrational. If this kind of post is enough to chase you away from the discussion or from the board entirely then it seems to me you are awfully thin skinned wrt these things. I have objected to mean-spirited, ad hominem attacks on the board a number of times. This was nothing of the kind and is simply part and parcel of a frank discussion. Clearly, YMMV.

Reaction Score
He quite clearly used "crazy" within a figure of speech, i.e., "you're crazy if you think [such and such]..."

I don't happen to agree with his position verbatim but it is far from irrational. If this kind of post is enough to chase you away from the discussion or from the board entirely then it seems to me you are awfully thin skinned wrt these things. I have objected to mean-spirited, ad hominem attacks on the board a number of times. This was nothing of the kind and is simply part and parcel of a frank discussion. Clearly, YMMV.
I said in brief amount of times that I had posted here making innocuous fact based comments I was met with non to kind needless responses some where deleted but this was the straw. To say I am thin skinned for a board that has been described as being umbrageous is a bit of a hypocrisy. I have not the slightest idea what YMMV stands for nor do I care.

Further I wasn't saying his entire post or stand on the Power 5 was irrational but rather his opening remarks, so before you go after someone, read it correctly. JMHFO

Reaction Score
I said in brief amount of times that I had posted here making innocuous fact based comments I was met with non to kind needless responses some where deleted but this was the straw. To say I am thin skinned for a board that has been described as being umbrageous is a bit of a hypocrisy. I have not the slightest idea what YMMV stands for nor do I care.

Further I wasn't saying his entire post or stand on the Power 5 was irrational but rather his opening remarks, so before you go after someone, read it correctly. JMHFO
You've posted here 20 times. Sorry, but your sample size is a bit small to be drawing any meaningful conclusions about this board.

Reaction Score
You've posted here 20 times. Sorry, but your sample size is a bit small to be drawing any meaningful conclusions about this board.
Obviously my sample size is indeed small but more obvious it has nothing to do with for how long a period of time I have followed this board

JS

Reaction Score
Obviously my sample size is indeed small but more obvious it has nothing to do with for how long a period of time I have followed this board
But enough about you -- including how you think the board treats you and, from others, what they think of your complaints.

Everyone: We have a serious and important topic here. Let's get back to the substantive discussion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We cannot willed US into a P5, so the only tactful thing to do is wait. Personally, I'm beyond the gloom. We are never never never going to pull FB-players from the likes of Ala, Mich and all the other places where that sport is everything. Perhaps we should accept that reality, and with the other leftovers begin to remake the NCAA and college sports into the original meaning. There are a lot of good WBB players that learned the trade elsewhere then Uconn, ND, etc. The same is true for FB-- there have been good players coming out of the Ivy. We need to start thinking creative across the board rather then sulking about the Alabs' of the world. I know it's only me, but I have never been moved to see a Ala - Miami/TX/OK game as I have Cal - Purdue. The latter is more my speed, the former- very little identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom