Potential postgrad transfer - Keene & Koulechov | The Boneyard

Potential postgrad transfer - Keene & Koulechov

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Keene is still leading the nation in scoring, and Koulechov is still shooting over 50% from the floor and from 3, 85% from the line and averaging 8.5 rebounds per game. I'd take him over any reclassifying or decommiting or JuCo option, 10x out of 10.

I continue to believe that a postgrad big is more crucial for us next year, though. Delph continues to be very serviceable for FAU, and would seem to fit our needs as a rim protector/rebounder/5 more fouls at the center position.

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Keene is still leading the nation in scoring, and Koulechov is still shooting over 50% from the floor and from 3, 85% from the line and averaging 8.5 rebounds per game. I'd take him over any reclassifying or decommiting or JuCo option, 10x out of 10.

I continue to believe that a postgrad big is more crucial for us next year, though. Delph continues to be very serviceable for FAU, and would seem to fit our needs as a rim protector/rebounder/5 more fouls at the center position.
Really need a decent big who can play defense and contribute on offense to keep opposing defenses honest. Even if Steve makes a huge leap and that isn't looking promising at the moment.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Really need a decent big who can play defense and contribute on offense to keep opposing defenses honest. Even if Steve makes a huge leap and that isn't looking promising at the moment.
I don't care all that much about offensive production from the 5 next year – put-backs and lobs are just fine by me. I just want a guy who protects the paint and rebounds.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't care all that much about offensive production from the 5 next year – put-backs and lobs are just fine by me. I just want a guy who protects the paint and rebounds.
That's what I mean by contributing on offense.

Reaction Score
I think staff has no choice. Time to entertain recruiting over Enoch. Putting all your cards into him, Durham with his injury history or diarra and those knees is playing Russian roulette.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
We complained about Nolan. But, Nolan always seem to end up in the right spot on the floor, even if he couldn't do much.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think staff has no choice. Time to entertain recruiting over Enoch. Putting all your cards into him, Durham with his injury history or diarra and those knees is playing Russian roulette.
That was the idea in recruiting Zach Brown. It's rotten luck the kid lost it after giving KO his verbal. It was a double loss. No Zach Brown and all the other decent recruits were off the table.

Reaction Score
We recruited many quality bigs. Landed an injured one. Who most thought wasn't going to see minutes this year.

Reaction Score
That was the idea in recruiting Zach Brown. It's rotten luck the kid lost it after giving KO his verbal. It was a double loss. No Zach Brown and all the other decent recruits were off the table.
That's not true .

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We parted ways very early , so all other decent recruits were not off the table .
Unfortunately those recruits turned to other programs once UConn accepted the Brown verbal. It's nearly impossible to bump other programs at the stage UConn parted ways.

Reaction Score

Zach Brown wasn't exactly an altar boy before KO got involved. It's becoming safe to say that bigs recruiting is a major problem.

Whether it's failing to land the top targets (Govan, Stone), or the guys they pick not being any good (Enoch, Lubin) or injured (Diarra, Durham), it's not working.

Hopefully as Durham gets farther removed from his injuries he'll show something, but that's no guarantee. Neither is a low-ranked guy like Carlton.

Facey and Brimah were forced upon the staff by circumstances, but their development arc doesn't paint a rosy picture either.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Although I agree that a solid fifth-year big who can rebound and defend would be great, we have little information that Coach Ollie has reached out to develop a relationship with any of the players that Matrim has diligently looked up.
I also think it is absolutely unfair to say that none of the returning bigs will be able to give significant contributions next year. Steve has been subtly improving and I expect a substantial improvement from Juwan. Hamadou shows no limp whatsoever when he gets off the bench, he could be a physical presence.

Reaction Score
Tenspro, Facey was a highly recruited 4 star player

HHarry, Hamidou plays for KY

Give this teacher an apple!;)

Having said that Matrim has it right, you watched a Kyle Washington last night and how effective he is and how he opens up the middle because he can float out - find me a big close to that please.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Zach Brown wasn't exactly an altar boy before KO got involved. It's becoming safe to say that bigs recruiting is a major problem.

Whether it's failing to land the top targets (Govan, Stone), or the guys they pick not being any good (Enoch, Lubin) or injured (Diarra, Durham), it's not working.

Hopefully as Durham gets farther removed from his injuries he'll show something, but that's no guarantee. Neither is a low-ranked guy like Carlton.

Facey and Brimah were forced upon the staff by circumstances, but their development arc doesn't paint a rosy picture either.

Zach Brown came from a difficult background and that, to say the least, is an understatement. IIRC there were a series of articles and even a video which were floated on the Boneyard about the kid's background and how he seemingly managed to overcome those difficulties.

We loved getting him because not only was he skilled, but he was a great story. After he gave his verbal, he got in trouble in Fla. with a fight that was bb related, came to CT. got in trouble with his team and was dismissed. At that time KO withdrew his scholarship offer. Did he have problems beforehand? Probably. But how is a coach able to profile players to that depth, especially if the player appears to have turned things around? Should we have taken Caron with his history?

This was bad luck all the way and not on KO imo unless you want to make a stretch statement that KO brings bad luck to the program. I'd argue the opposite. He's had to deal with stuff that occurred just before JC left which still impacts the program and will do so until Steve graduates. And this is not on Steve. He's just the type of recruit KO was forced to get because of the APR sanctions. The NC was an accomplishment beyond anyone's rational forecast at the time of the APR sanctions and the departure of key players.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately those recruits turned to other programs once UConn accepted the Brown verbal. It's nearly impossible to bump other programs at the stage UConn parted ways.
Zach Brown got in a fight at his school in Florida well over a year ago then Ollie brought him up to Putnam and he got in another fight a year ago. Ollie should have seen all the warning signs with this kid a long time ago and never put all his eggs in that basket. Recruiting kids with major behavioral issue and major injury issues is playing with fire.

Reaction Score
Zach Brown got in a fight at his school in Florida well over a year ago then Ollie brought him up to Putnam and he got in another fight a year ago. Ollie should have seen all the warning signs with this kid a long time ago and never put all his eggs in that basket. Recruiting kids with major behavioral issue and major injury issues is playing with fire.

We can't say though sj, the thought is KO can help the kid become a man, these coaches do believe that I think. I agree though on the all eggs in one basket - between Brown and especially Diallo hopefully the reality of this has hit home by now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
In a follow up thread I listed the history without the time table. So you filled in that gap.

I also think you are judging things retroactively. There is no way of knowing if Zach was having a problem because of his environment or something about him. The only way to test it is to do what KO did with encouraging the kid to leave his environment. The Putnam incident demonstrated the exact nature of the problem. By that time it was too late.

I'm not sure about Diarra's injury, but the medical history of Gilbert and Durham were of injuries that have a good chance of recovering 100% back to the potential before the injury. Unfortunately both players demonstrated a greater fragility after the offer and acceptance than people could have reasonably forecasted.

If a coach starts to go down the path of not demonstrating a loyalty to his recruits, that does damage to the program far more than the way KO has handled things. I feel fairly certain that when people do things the correct way they ultimately succeed, at least at a higher rate than those who don't. I have confidence KO is doing things the correct way.

pj

Reaction Score

You can't predict the future. This kind of play-it-safe recruiting strategy would never have brought Caron Butler to UConn. The NCAA limits on coach-player contact make it difficult to tell who will repent from a bad start and who won't. It's a good thing to give a kid chance after one mistake. The rule "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" applies. Ollie gave Zach Brown a chance after one mistake. He cut bait after two. Exactly the right thing to do in both cases.

There is no way of knowing if Zach was having a problem because of his environment or something about him. The only way to test it is to do what KO did with encouraging the kid to leave his environment. The Putnam incident demonstrated the exact nature of the problem.

Great point!

Reaction Score
You can't predict the future. This kind of play-it-safe recruiting strategy would never have brought Caron Butler to UConn. The NCAA limits on coach-player contact make it difficult to tell who will repent from a bad start and who won't. It's a good thing to give a kid chance after one mistake. The rule "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" applies. Ollie gave Zach Brown a chance after one mistake. He cut bait after two. Exactly the right thing to do in both cases.

Great point!
Actually he cut bait after being fooled a third time.

Reaction Score
We can't say though sj, the thought is KO can help the kid become a man, these coaches do believe that I think. I agree though on the all eggs in one basket - between Brown and especially Diallo hopefully the reality of this has hit home by now.

I know Mau, you got into a fight or 2 back in the day? No?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom