Post- TAM thoughts, for what they're worth | The Boneyard

Post- TAM thoughts, for what they're worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay, I understand this is not one of the better TAM teams, at least not yet, but I did not expect this. The team looked defeated almost from the start -- body language, willingness to defend, etc. To me, CofC players looked feistier. And Kelsey Bone --Where to begin? She's one of those big players who, on a day like this, plays about 5'11". She got absolutely no help, anyway, but she looked and acted as if she knew that was going to happen and would just have to endure the humiliation of this game.

Did anyone else love Bone's deliberate shove of Dolson? If that didn't start the game out on the right note, I don't know what would. And kudos to the refs for establishing the rules early.

I don't think I have ever seen one team exploit a weakness in another's defense to such an extent as was done today.

UConn did not score as many points as I thought they would -- I pegged them at 90, in part because Stewart was out early with fouls and did not, IMHO, look all that great on offense until portions of the second half. That said, she sure does mess with opponents' minds on offense.

Dolson was a monster out there today. Anyone want to hazard an estimate how much of her ability to have a game like this is because UConn has players like Stewart and Tuck who also much be watched up front? And the announcers made a good point -- Geno has the luxury of resting Dolson from time to time in ways he couldn't last year. Not only is Stef leaner and in better shape, she's going to get recuperation time during all but the toughest games because Geno can bring in Kiah and Morgan, Breanna and Morgan, Breanna and Kiah and even Heather.

Morgan Tuck is just s smooth. You don't know she's there one moment, and the next she's reaching in to score. Moriah is really fast and is going to be wonderful, but she's gotta slow down a little.

Reaction Score
Okay, I understand this is not one of the better TAM teams, at least not yet, but I did not expect this. The team looked defeated almost from the start -- body language, willingness to defend, etc. To me, CofC players looked feistier. And Kelsey Bone --Where to begin? She's one of those big players who, on a day like this, plays about 5'11". She got absolutely no help, anyway, but she looked and acted as if she knew that was going to happen and would just have to endure the humiliation of this game.

Did anyone else love Bone's deliberate shove of Dolson? If that didn't start the game out on the right note, I don't know what would. And kudos to the refs for establishing the rules early.

I don't think I have ever seen one team exploit a weakness in another's defense to such an extent as was done today.

UConn did not score as many points as I thought they would -- I pegged them at 90, in part because Stewart was out early with fouls and did not, IMHO, look all that great on offense until portions of the second half. That said, she sure does mess with opponents' minds on offense.

Dolson was a monster out there today. Anyone want to hazard an estimate how much of her ability to have a game like this is because UConn has players like Stewart and Tuck who also much be watched up front? And the announcers made a good point -- Geno has the luxury of resting Dolson from time to time in ways he couldn't last year. Not only is Stef leaner and in better shape, she's going to get recuperation time during all but the toughest games because Geno can bring in Kiah and Morgan, Breanna and Morgan, Breanna and Kiah and even Heather.

Morgan Tuck is just s smooth. You don't know she's there one moment, and the next she's reaching in to score. Moriah is really fast and is going to be wonderful, but she's gotta slow down a little.

Reaction Score
I didn't get to watch the first half but was impressed with Morgan's efficiency. I thought that Carolyn Doty looked much better than she had last year. She was moving so much better and as has been mentioned, has seemed to adapt to what she is NOW capable of doing. I also had heard from many how svelte Stef had become and I surely have to agree. She's so much more buff than she was her freshman year and moves so much more quickly. She's a load for just about anyone with her skill set.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This A&M team could easily have been 2-0 headed into this game. They were narrowly beaten by two other legit top 10 teams. Uconn came in and obliterated them. This was UConn's first time playing a fiesty, athletic defense, they're playing without one of the steadying hands on the team, and in a hostile environment. Given all of that, I can't complain about too much. This team is really, really good and only going to get better.

Reaction Score
As is known here, I look at the details for sure and come up with both the pros and and cons. To me, this win was a pretty impressive performance (especially since my score prediction would have been UCONN by about six :) .....and you thought I was lousy at other things :D ).

My two main concerns tonight: along with the good things these two frosh did, I thought that both Jefferson and Tuck were standing around way too much after passing the ball rather than moving to create opportunities for others and for themselves. Taking a few steps, if any (ala those lavishly praised Boneyard role-models such as Williams, Montgomery, and Hartley) and then waiting for a return pass, rather than cutting or setting a pick. At one point late in the game, they were both standing there at once.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Also, I thought early on Tuck was rushing too much and that led her to problems finishing. in the second half she was much better.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
This A&M team could easily have been 2-0 headed into this game. They were narrowly beaten by two other legit top 10 teams. Uconn came in and obliterated them. This was UConn's first time playing a fiesty, athletic defense, they're playing without one of the steadying hands on the team, and in a hostile environment. Given all of that, I can't complain about too much. This team is really, really good and only going to get better.

Listening to Coach Blair, he is just a sad sack about his team. Alex has some good points here, and I agree that at least in the first half, they were a feisty competitive team.

Reaction Score
Every time I see Bone, I feel bad for her that she didn't get to be coached by Geno. Blair is good, as is Staley, but still.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I am just now watching the game....Question: At 15:13 left in the second half, does it look like Stewie is crying as she sits between Geno and CD?

Reaction Score
If she had gone to UConn she probably would have transferred out anyway. Nothing about her career so far indicates that Geno's pressure would have resulted in a diamond. Her play to this point is more her responsibility than her coaches.
Every time I see Bone, I feel bad for her that she didn't get to be coached by Geno. Blair is good, as is Staley, but still.

Reaction Score

Not to sound mean, but I don't feel bad for her. She had her opportunity and a good one at that since Geno & Co. pursued her for quite some time. I was happy to see Dolson take her to "school".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First time I have really seen Bone play, and I wonder if there is a head/heart issue - just one game and a beat down, but ...
I just didn't see her really working hard. I don't think Staley would put up with that, so I wonder if tension developed her freshman year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am just now watching the game....Question: At 15:13 left in the second half, does it look like Stewie is crying as she sits between Geno and CD?
Just fast fowarded to that frame and no. She was not crying.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
If she had gone to UConn she probably would have transferred out anyway. Nothing about her career so far indicates that Geno's pressure would have resulted in a diamond. Her play to this point is more her responsibility than her coaches.
Agree, but I am pretty sure she was turned off by how hard players had to work at UConn. Hence her lack of interest.

Which is fine by me because we got a jewel in Stef instead.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree with those who say that Kelsey Bone and Geno would have had a stormy and unproductive relationship that would not have ended happily -- and would not have lasted 4 years. It's fortunate that she saw what she was in for and declined to get on the plane.

I don't think her WNBA career (if any) will amount to much, unless she matures in the next two years far more than she has to date.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I dont feel bad for anyone who dishes out a cheap shot shove on any player.
Had Steph got injured this forum would have blown a circuit. I understand frustration fouls but they normally happen, late in a game after someone builds up the frustration. That was a plain old cheap shot foul.
I saw Bone last year play a few games and wasnt impressed and she had more talent on last years team to work with.

Reaction Score
And why do you think she left Dawn's program!!! There is a reason atm has 15 on the bench. find out who are the best 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom