Post On The Summit Has Hollivay Down To Ut And Ru | The Boneyard

Post On The Summit Has Hollivay Down To Ut And Ru

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I guess she doesn't want to improve her offense....lol.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I guess she doesn't want to improve her offense....lol.

Can't go wrong with either choice.

She's from MS I think. I wonder if she has a relationship with Sykes. I've been told that it's her offensive skills that need the most work. She has good size.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's from MS I think. I wonder if she has a relationship with Sykes. I've been told that it's her offensive skills that need the most work. She has good size.
MS has not produced that many outstanding players, as far as I know. It would make sense that she either knows or looks up to Sykes.

If UT loses out on a post player from MS, that does not say much about the state of their recruiting.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I know that UT fans are desperate for her to commit to Tennessee. If she doesn't and Adams picks a West Coast team, wow. Just wow.

Reaction Score
I guess she'll choose TN where she'll be able to not develop her offense but practice a lot of rebounding the misses of Simmons;)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I know that UT fans are desperate for her to commit to Tennessee. If she doesn't and Adams picks a West Coast team, wow. Just wow.
Adams is believed to have given her verbal to USC. At least that's what I heard today from some people who heard it yesterday at a USC basketball event. I hope its correct. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Adams is believed to have given her verbal to USC. At least that's what I heard today from some people who heard it yesterday at a USC basketball event. I hope its correct. :)
me too. i was really hoping Hollivay would drop Tennessee, but hopefully she goes to RU. i wonder if tennessee gets Hollivay if Russel would really look elsewhere.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Not unexpected but the timing is interesting. Wasn't she in Tennessee on an official visit yesterday? Did she give her verbal to USC from Knoxville?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Really. That would be quite a shock to the LV fans who were expecting her to visit Knoxville over the past weekend.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Adams was in Knoxville this weekend. We would love to land her but none of us are expecting her to leave the West Coast.

As far as Russell goes, if we do land Hollivay she will be our only true center on the roster. There will definitely be room for Russell if she wants to come to Tenn.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Really. That would be quite a shock to the LV fans who were expecting her to visit Knoxville over the past weekend.

She probably left Tennessee on Sunday morning, for So Cal, and made the call in early afternoon after arriving in LA. My guess is word spreads quickly, especially when a couple of hundred people are attending a meet the teams event.
Again I didn't hear it directly or I would be more certain...that's why I wrote "believed".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
sweet OC. any time a kid drops tennessee or chooses elsewhere is a reason to celebrate. regardless of what tennessee fans "expected" with Adams, i know they were hopeful. it's fun to see top 10 kids end up somewhere else! even if they land Hollivay, their class will be way behind UCONN's, as the effective classes of 2009 (Doty, Buck and Faris) and 2010 are. only in 2011 did they get a class equal to UCONN's.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She probably left Tennessee on Sunday morning, for So Cal, and made the call in early afternoon after arriving in LA. My guess is word spreads quickly, especially when a couple of hundred people are attending a meet the teams event.
Again I didn't hear it directly or I would be more certain...that's why I wrote "believed".

Makes sense. Thanks. Cooper is on his way to putting together quite a roster.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
sweet OC. any time a kid drops tennessee or chooses elsewhere is a reason to celebrate. regardless of what tennessee fans "expected" with Adams, i know they were hopeful. it's fun to see top 10 kids end up somewhere else! even if they land Hollivay, their class will be way behind UCONN's, as the effective classes of 2009 (Doty, Buck and Faris) and 2010 are. only in 2011 did they get a class equal to UCONN's.

Way behind? I'd still take Spani over Farris any day. Doty is returning from multiple injuries and has yet to prove what she can do on the court. I hope to see her return to prime form, but there are lots of questions with her return. Buck hasn't done anything in her 3 years to warrant major buzz. Y'all have her projected as the 3rd center her senior year. This class really just comes down to numbers 3 vs 1.

Same with 2010. Y'all have two great players in Bria and Dolson compared to our Simmons. Kamiko is better than Lauren and Johnson but again 4 vs 2 gives y'all the edge as far as the class is concerned.

2011 as you said is equal. We filled our biggest hole at the pg while KML gives y'all star power on the wing.

2012 has us 1-2 again but landing Hollivay would make this gap much much smaller.

Over this 4 year period, I would agree that Uconn is the superior team on paper, but Tenn is not "way behind." We just won't have the depth or experience due to the number of upperclassmen you will have.

2013 will be the year that has the potential to change everything though. This year will show how much Pat's illness affects recruits. Tenn is in a great posistion to land a class that will put them on top of the WCBB world again.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Rachel called Rutgers the most "family-based" program she visited. She & April Sykes are very close. She would be a huge get for us. :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
you'd take Spani over Faris any day? there's not a SINGLE UCONN fan who would agree with you, there's a reason Faris made all those USA national teams.

Spani 8 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 1.4 APG, 0.5 steals/game
Faris 7.8 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 3.7 APG, 1.8 steals/game.

So yeah, i'd say not only is Faris alone better (even with MPG stats adjusted), but Faris, Doty and Buck is head and shoulders better, and it's not close. numbers only makes our class stronger? nyet.

as for 2010, let's be generous and call Bria and Meighan a wash (altho team USA didn't think so as Meighan was cut). Stef is light years better than Kamiko, and add in Michala and Lauren, and again, not even close.

2012 - you could have a class of 5 kids ranked in the top 20 and it wouldn't come close to what UCONN has. Breanna Stewart - may end up the best ever. She's coming into college with accomplishments at least equal to or better than Moore, Parker, Taurasi, etc. Moriah Jefferson - the highest rated PG ever coming out of HS (frankly i agree with others who said Alexis Jones is better). Morgan Tuck - better than the best player in your class in Graves. you could add Adams AND Hollivay and you still wouldn't be at UCONN's level.

there was a very long thread you should check out where we talked about UCONN's recruiting being so much ahead of anyone else out there. other schools like Rutgers, Tennessee, Duke, Stanford, Louisville, aTm, and a few others have been recruiting really well. none of them come close to UCONN.

it has nothing to do with depth of upper classmen.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Way behind? I'd still take Spani over Farris any day.

As fans we often prefer the players on our favorite team, but the "any day" comment seems misplaced when you compare what the players accomplished last season. I like Spani a lot but up to this point in their careers I think Kelly is the better all-around player. Kelly is a better athlete, quicker and a better defender. Kelly is a much better playmaker as shown by her assists last season (146 and 2nd on the team) compared to Spani's (51). Spani is known for her 3-pt shooting and, as expected, her shooting was better than Kelly's last season (36% to 30%). Their overall FG%s, however, were about the same (43% to 42%). Here are the other stats.

MPG
Spani 23
Kelly 33

PPG
Spani 8.0
Kelly 7.8

RPG
Spani 4.1
Kelly 6.7

Assists
Spani 51
Kelly 146

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Better stats for Faris are indicative of more minutes.

Recruiting - The programs are still close with TN having the #1 recruiting class in 2011 and UConn having the #1 class in 2012 (so far), while neither program can make any claims for 2013. Duke isn't far behind in the discussion. The reality is that both programs are doing a fine job filling in the holes.

2011 - TN was rated the #1 class.
UConn has #1 (98 grade), #24 (94 grade), #42 (94 grade)
TN has #3 (96 grade), #4 (96 grade), #29 (94 grade)

2012 - UConn has the #1 rated class
UConn has #1 (98 grade), #2 (98 grade), #15 (96 grade)
TN has #5 (97 grade), #20 (95 grade), #39 (94 grade) with the door not yet closed on a couple of 97 grades still considering

2013 - TN has the one lone commit that is currently the #1/2 ranked player

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Fair point and that's why I included the MPG. I've restated Spani's stats (below) as if she played the same number of minutes as Kelly and on a per game basis. As you can see, Spani would have scored more points per game. But Kelly would still lead in assists, rebounds and steals. There is also the fact that Kelly is a much better defender than Spani. As was mentioned in another thread, Kelly is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country.

I'll point out that my response was to the poster's statement that Spani should be taken over Kelly "any day," as if it were obvious that Spani is a better player than Kelly. I disagree and maintain that at this point in their careers, Kelly is the better overall player.

PPG
Kelly 7.8
Spani 11.6
(Spani took 10 more shots than Kelly on the season)

Assists/game
Kelly 3.7
Spani 2

Assist/TO
Kelly 1.6/1
Spani 1/1

Steals/gm
Kelly 1.8
Spani 0.7

RPG
Kelly 6.7
Spani 6

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Recruiting - The programs are still close with TN having the #1 recruiting class in 2011 and UConn having the #1 class in 2012 (so far), while neither program can make any claims for 2013.
actually, the reality is that 2 services rated UCONN with the #1 class in 2011 and 2 rated tennessee with the higher class. also, you can't simply go by hoopgurlz, even tho their rankings are free.

i get that tenn. fans are going to disagree, but there's not really anything to disagree on.

2009 UCONN>Tennessee
2010 UCONN>Tennessee
2011 UCONN=Tennessee
2012 UCONN>Tennessee

i am really really hoping UCONN faces tennessee any time any place starting 2011-2012. back to blow out city.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Amazing how well we can handicap HS players who few of us have seen since none have yet played a game in college. Simply amazing.

We have seen a good bit of both Faris and Spani. They are both good players with different attributes and neither team would swap one for the other if that were an available option. Not on any day.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont know how you could compare TN to UConn. It aint even close. TN has been dreadfully terrible, the past 3 seasons. One thing TN has proven is you cant take talented players and play them out of position. I remember someone talking about Pat recruiting all those post and wing players after losing out on EDD Caroline and Maya. I also remember that same poster saying TN had no schollies for 2 years and how that would keep them out of the recuriting arena allowing other teams to compete for the top talent and how it would hurt TN. I also remember someone posting that TN wouldnt be a top 25 team one season, then not a top 10 team,then not a top 5 team and they proved that poster correct. Now what makes you think that after losing all that height, all those kids who left, a team with no chemistry and no depth that they are number 3 this season. Come on your talking about next season and how great TN will be and they dont even have a legit post player and with Uconn visiting Mercedes well TNs hopes for a legit post player may come to an end. I really think there are alot of Dreamers in TN. This is 2011 not 1991. TN has along way to go to get back to the top of WCBB. This years freshman class is a start but there are to many missing pieces after this season. Now Pat has all those schollies and no body to give them to. TN is a top 10 team but not a top 5 team. They will be polled in the top 5 because their schedule is to weak as is the SEC. TN shouldnt lose more then 2 games this season. I remember the days when TN fans said UConn played a cupcake schedule, gotta wonder what those same fans think of TNs schedule now.

Reaction Score
MS has not produced that many outstanding players, as far as I know. It would make sense that she either knows or looks up to Sykes.

If UT loses out on a post player from MS, that does not say much about the state of their recruiting.
I remember awhile back one of the sites had predicted Rutgers. This should be very interesting! It has been the elephant in the room. Hoopgurls has had some excellent articles over time about factors in deciding on where to attend,how to decide all of the mitigating factors. Although I am anything but a TN fan,I do not wish what has occurred with PS,but for a recruit it has to be a factor.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I remember the days when TN fans said UConn played a cupcake schedule, gotta wonder what those same fans think of TNs schedule now.

what are you talking about? we play the #1 team in the big east (notre dame), the #1 team in the big 12 and the country (baylor), the #1 team in the acc (miami), the #1 team in the pac-12 (stanford), and the #1 team in the sun belt (mtsu) to boot.

of all of our out-of-conference games, only 4 of them are not ranked: virginia (on going series), old dominion (very old rivals, i'm sure this series will end soon), chattanooga and mtsu (in-state teams).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom