Post Holy Cross Friday Media Conference Call | The Boneyard

Post Holy Cross Friday Media Conference Call

Reaction Score
Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 1m1 minute ago
Edsall says LB Junior Joseph has a shoulder injury but no details. Says he'll know more Tuesday.

Jim Fuller‏ @NHRJimFuller 2m 2 minutes ago
Nate Hopkins, Luke Carrezola, Brett Graham awarded game balls by #UConn coach Randy Edsall

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 1m 1 minute ago
Edsall says LB Junior Joseph has a shoulder injury but no details. Says he'll know more Tuesday.

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 24s 24 seconds ago
Edsall on Shirreffs: “I think he came in and just did his job. That’s all we want anybody to do. ... I don't think it was anything special."

Joe D'Ambrosio‏ @JoeDSports 53s 54 seconds ago
Edsall on young guys "There was a lot of inconsistency there"

Joe D'Ambrosio‏ @JoeDSports 32s 33 seconds ago
Offensive line did some good things but was inconsistent according to @RandyEdsall

Joe D'Ambrosio‏ @JoeDSports 6s 7 seconds ago
No decision on QB for USF. Staff will talk about personnel tomorrow according to @RandyEdsall

Neill Ostrout‏ @NeillOstrout 49s 50 seconds ago
Edsall on Shirreffs starting: "I don't know." (A lie maybe, but a polite one)

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault
UConn DL Foley Fatukasi will be able to play against USF. Doesn't have to sit out first half.

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 25s 26 seconds ago
Edsall said offensive line play was inconsistent. Huskies ran for 160 yards, allowed no sacks. "I thought there was some progress made there

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
OL was bad, no doubt, but zero sacks when we dropped back 50 times isn't nothing. Whether you credit the OL, the QB, or the scheme it is a positive.

The run blocking was horrible and I didn't see any reason why Hopkins had success while Newsome was swamped on every carry. I did note that Hopkins did break some tackles, fell forward but, he wasn't hit behind the line by multiple defenders on every carry like Newsome was.

Might be variance again. Tape should speak here too.

Reaction Score
OL was bad, no doubt, but zero sacks when we dropped back 50 times isn't nothing. Whether you credit the OL, the QB, or the scheme it is a positive.

The run blocking was horrible and I didn't see any reason why Hopkins had success while Newsome was swamped on every carry. I did note that Hopkins did break some tackles, fell forward but, he wasn't hit behind the line by multiple defenders on every carry like Newsome was.

Might be variance again. Tape should speak here too.
They were sending run blitzes when Newsome was in the backfield and our OL wasn't able to pick up who or where the blitzers were. That's also why the swing passes to Newsome were successful. They had no film on Hopkins and brought fewer defenders in the box. He did a good job making the first defender miss. Newsome had two or three guys on him as soon as he stepped from the mesh point.

Reaction Score
They were sending run blitzes when Newsome was in the backfield and our OL wasn't able to pick up who or where the blitzers were. That's also why the swing passes to Newsome were successful. They had no film on Hopkins and brought fewer defenders in the box. He did a good job making the first defender miss. Newsome had two or three guys on him as soon as he stepped from the mesh point.
the box was packed. one thing I don't like about the hurry up/no huddle is the inability to check the play.

Reaction Score
Junior left the field still in a lot of pain, most likely a dislocated shoulder as when he came back out he was way better. They could not get it back in place on the field. Watching Cross blow by our o-line on running plays in the first half was just depressing. Not seeing real physical play from the line against a FCS level team is too familiar as a UCONN football fan. When we do get a back out into the open they need to score. Getting caught from behind, again against FCS, not good. For the run game to really work the QB's are going to have to keep the ball. Knowing when to get on the ground and not take a pounding is the key. I expected better from Tre Bell. He will have a big target on his back against USF. It is a new defensive scheme but watching the Cross QB leave the tackle box, roll out and survey the field repeatedly without a care in the world was painful. Flowers next, have to get better here.

Reaction Score
We're probably still in the 100 level of the playbook. ;)
hopefully down the line it's an option, but a lot of OC's that run HUNH don't let their QB audible because there are inherent checks/reads in the play design

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom