Post Game Thoughts Florida Game | The Boneyard

Post Game Thoughts Florida Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

That was a great confidence building win for the players and for UCONN as a whole on a nationally broadcast game. The return of Omar to playing at a high level makes this team more dangerous going forward. Omar was fantastic today and is showing composure confidence, making shots, reading defenses well, and passing well. He is showing high IQ on the court and fits well with the team.
T-Sam was a champ out there as well making all 6 of his free throws and handling the ball better.
Hamilton looking rattled at times and needs to improve his handle a lot. He plays better when he is a 3rd or 4th option and started playing better when other guys stepped up.
Purvis was brutal for most of the game, but showed late that he can make 3 point shots along with Omar pretty consistently when he is open. Rodney can do what Cassel Jr. was supposed to be able to and that is make wide open 3pointers and perimeter shots. Rodney's role should be as a spot up shooter and fast break layups.
Brimah-- He changed the course of he game late in the second half with his defense and swatting Florida shots in the paint. Kevin Ollie made the right decision to not take Amida out of the game even when he was tired late.
Boat--- He played ok but needs to play smarter, less selfish, and pass the ball around more to involve others. He hit 4 big free throws in the end that were huge.

Our best lineup as Kevin Ollie discovered during the game was Boat, T-Sam, Omar, Kentan, and Brimah. Hamilton and Purvis play better off the bench when there is less pressure on them. Omar is the key to chemistry problems as his intelligent play is taking pressure off of Hamilton and Purvis. I am optimistic of this year's team from today on.

Reaction Score
That was a great confidence building win for the players and for UCONN as a whole on a nationally broadcast game. The return of Omar to playing at a high level makes this team more dangerous going forward. Omar was fantastic today and is showing composure confidence, making shots, reading defenses well, and passing well. He is showing high IQ on the court and fits well with the team.
T-Sam was a champ out there as well making all 6 of his free throws and handling the ball better.
Hamilton looking rattled at times and needs to improve his handle a lot. He plays better when he is a 3rd or 4th option and started playing better when other guys stepped up.
Purvis was brutal for most of the game, but showed late that he can make 3 point shots along with Omar pretty consistently when he is open. Rodney can do what Cassel Jr. was supposed to be able to and that is make wide open 3pointers and perimeter shots. Rodney's role should be as a spot up shooter and fast break layups.
Brimah-- He changed the course of he game late in the second half with his defense and swatting Florida shots in the paint. Kevin Ollie made the right decision to not take Amida out of the game even when he was tired late.
Boat--- He played ok but needs to play smarter, less selfish, and pass the ball around more to involve others. He hit 4 big free throws in the end that were huge.

Our best lineup as Kevin Ollie discovered during the game was Boat, T-Sam, Omar, Kentan, and Brimah. Hamilton and Purvis play better off the bench when there is less pressure on them. Omar is the key to chemistry problems as his intelligent play is taking pressure off of Hamilton and Purvis. I am optimistic of this year's team from today on.
Best lineup is with D-Ham at the 4. Liked seeing AB, Dham, TS, RB and RP. Omar is a great lift off the bench. Facey is needed against big teams which Florida isn't.

Reaction Score

I've got to take exception with your Boatright comment. Just to gut it out shows how much he cares about the team. When a team relies on one player so much and that player has the ball in his hands that much he is bound to make a few mistakes. All in all I thought he played exceptionally well today except his shots weren't falling.

Reaction Score
I've got to take exception with your Boatright comment. Just to gut it out shows how much he cares about the team. When a team relies on one player so much and that player has the ball in his hands that much he is bound to make a few mistakes. All in all I thought he played exceptionally well today except his shots weren't falling.
Agreed. RB gutted it out when he definitely wasn't 100%. Have no problem with his game today. Needs more help like in the second half. He needs to trust his supporting cast which has been hard to do this year except for DHAM.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
We benefitted from finally having all our players healthy enough to contribute. Also , Our defense was Big East quality . If we stay healthy , I smell a in season run coming.

Reaction Score
Its simple, without Boat.......UConn doesn't win this game. He was huge today, regardless of what the box score may say.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Huge game by TSam and Calhoun.

Omar took a beating on this board earlier this year.

He's starting to look for his shot and is consistently battling for rebounds and hustling.

Amida's defense from the 10 min mark to the 6 min mark changed the game.

Purvis played the role of a baseball player who strikes out his first two times looking lost and makes an error to boot. Then comes out hits a double and a diving catch. He's more a rroller coaster than a Ferrari, but roller coasters are fun too.

Great crowd. Didn't hear anything bad from any Gator fan. The two guys behind us sound like Gatorized Boneyarders. UF seems to be much like UConn this year.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Let's not get carried away. DHam needs his minutes. DHam has an unlimited upside. Ollie needs to find a sweet spot for him along 3pt line.
He is probably a little tired now.
Purvis makes too many bad plays and should come off bench for a heat check.
Facey needs to start. Brimah, Boat and Calhoun unless pressed full court.
Next year , Facey and Brimah both should weigh fifteen lbs more.
Remember this team has to beat Kentucky at some point. Those guys are huge.

Reaction Score
Brimah played 3 useful minutes...29 other minutes of inept, useless, horrible basketball. Horrible big-man recruiting means that we are stuck with him as a starter. His role should be as a defensive spark off the bench--maybe 5 or 6 minutes a half. Other than blocking and altering shots, he really is a bad, bad basketball player. Can't catch a pass other than an oop. Brings the ball down and gets it stripped. Can't even win the goddamned tap with consistency.

Hamilton continues to be a train wreck handling the basketball. Boxscore only has him with 3 turnovers, but seemed much more than that.

Omar played like Omar should. This is what he used to do with some regularity freshman year. Just put the damn ball up. Ugly looking shot, but he can fill it.

Sammy should be starting PG. Go with Boat, Purvis, Facey, and Brimah (by default) as starting 5.

Boat, as usual, played with heart the entire game. Didn't let those bs offensive fouls in 2nd half take him out mentaly.

Reaction Score
DHam's decision making was a little iffy this game. Freshman-esque. I also think he needs to take it to the rim more. Love the pop up J, but he's relying solely on that of late. Don't be afraid to get fouled.
The pace of this game was a little hectic for Facey, but we certainly need his rebounding out there. Brimah stepped up and filled that quota tonight.
OC is looking silky out there. Really like his style.
Boat was playing two guys all night and getting harassed. Their game plan on him was well orchestrated. What saved the game was passing over the top of the press since he was the only competent press breaking dribbler. Glad to see he was pissed off to the extent to go into u mode.
I rode the pro Purvis train very long and had stepped off at one point today. Fortunately I quickly stepped back on before the door closed.
Free throws in are favor was a pleasant reprieve. Boat hits them, we win. Kudos TSam also. 3's being wetted as well.
Poor Phil's charge taking was off key tonight. Not his game, hence getting no burn.
Dorian was a matchup nightmare. They're drive and kick out was very effective.
All said and done, Florida must really loathe us right now. Almost as much as Kentucky and Duke.
Hopefully the season turned in that 2nd half. Please keep up the intensity and don't play down to USF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Without Brimah, we don't beat Coppin State! Just joking, but methinks you're being way too hard on him. "Other than blocking and altering shots..."; have you ever tried scoring against an athletic 7-footer? That alone is worth points that don't show up in the box score. Obviously needs a world of improvement, but by late junior year will be a solid consistent contributing force on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
Brimah played 3 useful minutes...29 other minutes of inept, useless, horrible basketball. Horrible big-man recruiting means that we are stuck with him as a starter. His role should be as a defensive spark off the bench--maybe 5 or 6 minutes a half. Other than blocking and altering shots, he really is a bad, bad basketball player. Can't catch a pass other than an oop. Brings the ball down and gets it stripped. Can't even win the goddamned tap with consistency.

Hamilton continues to be a train wreck handling the basketball. Boxscore only has him with 3 turnovers, but seemed much more than that.

Omar played like Omar should. This is what he used to do with some regularity freshman year. Just put the damn ball up. Ugly looking shot, but he can fill it.

Sammy should be starting PG. Go with Boat, Purvis, Facey, and Brimah (by default) as starting 5.

Boat, as usual, played with heart the entire game. Didn't let those bs offensive fouls in 2nd half take him out mentaly.
You should change ur name to DBmoney. This post beyond sucked.

H

huskymagic

Your reference to Brimah and his lack of talent deserves a cunning answer "You're not really that stupid are you... My best advice for you... shutup." Brimah is a legit talent and a future NBA first round pick and a guy who single-handedly changed the fortunes of this game with his defense.
Other than that pmoney I agree with your comments on Hamilton. His handle is very bad and needs work, and he hesitates too much on the perimeter. Omar playing well, and regarding Sammy I hope you mean T-Sam who was very good not Sam Cassel Jr as that would be troubling. Boatright played ok not great. He didn't shoot or finish well, got trapped multiple times rather easily, and wasn't being a very good leader on the floor with his demeanor. Lack of touches for the bigs was a major problem as well. This game against a very bad Florida team shouldn't have been that close. Physically he looked good, but needs to be more trusting with teammates.
Omar was the key today with his all around understanding of the game and shooting well, making good reads, and allowing Purvis and Hamilton to play their games with less pressure. Purvis has shown himself capable of being a very good and consistent spot up 3 point shooter allowing Ollie to use his him more frequently in that capacity.

Reaction Score
Brimah was a hero, but I'd sure like to see him rebound and play defense for a full game. He is just scraping the surface, but foul trouble tends to hold him back at times too.

A watershed event for Omar. All the injuries caused his confidence to atrophy. Today, the scar tissue disappeared. He's a difference maker for this team.

Loved KO's moves today. He's a terrific motivator and an excellent bench coach.

Reaction Score
It's time to stop worrying about confidence. Make the play or don't. And when you have a shot, take it. Everybody has to carve out a piece for themselves. They did today.

Reaction Score
You should change ur name to DBmoney. This post beyond sucked.
Scot Tissue. Can't change that "P". Stands for perfect. Mediocre Money wouldn't sound so bold on college basketball message boards. Brimah sucks, Ass Wipe.

Reaction Score

Pretty devastating one-two punch of stupidity here. Give Brimah 5-6 minutes and start Cassell at point. I dare someone to top this.

Reaction Score
Agreed. RB gutted it out when he definitely wasn't 100%. Have no problem with his game today. Needs more help like in the second half. He needs to trust his supporting cast which has been hard to do this year except for DHAM.

I liked his game today. When he realized that his health, looked about 75%, prevented him from playing his game, he adjusted to more of a playmaker dumping passes to the other shooters.

Reaction Score
Your reference to Brimah and his lack of talent deserves a cunning answer "You're not really that stupid are you... My best advice for you... shutup." Brimah is a legit talent and a future NBA first round pick and a guy who single-handedly changed the fortunes of this game with his defense.
Other than that pmoney I agree with your comments on Hamilton. His handle is very bad and needs work, and he hesitates too much on the perimeter. Omar playing well, and regarding Sammy I hope you mean T-Sam who was very good not Sam Cassel Jr as that would be troubling. Boatright played ok not great. He didn't shoot or finish well, got trapped multiple times rather easily, and wasn't being a very good leader on the floor with his demeanor. Lack of touches for the bigs was a major problem as well. This game against a very bad Florida team shouldn't have been that close. Physically he looked good, but needs to be more trusting with teammates.
Omar was the key today with his all around understanding of the game and shooting well, making good reads, and allowing Purvis and Hamilton to play their games with less pressure. Purvis has shown himself capable of being a very good and consistent spot up 3 point shooter allowing Ollie to use his him more frequently in that capacity.
Magic Man-- Of course "Sammy" is T-Sam. (Raf called him Sammy as well after he caught a foul for jumping on that dudes back in the second half.)

Cassell Jr. isn' even worthy of a nickname. Well, maybe, "Crap" or "Pointless". I've seen CYO players who are more athletic than he is. Once again, recruiting. I wonder who the nut is on the staff who saw Brimah, Cassell, Lubin play, and said, "Let's give him an 80,000 dollar scholarship and let's ride him to the Final Four!." Karl Hobbs? Is he the nut? Rickey Moore? I know it's not Glen Miller. He knows too much about basketball to offer to those scrubs. We all know he pulls the strings with X's and O's, just like he did during the tournament last year. Was it KO who recruited the likes of Brimah and Cassell? Was his shirt buttoned up too tightly when he was watching those guys? Brimah is the biggest bust since Cup Cormier.

Reaction Score
Pretty devastating one-two punch of stupidity here. Give Brimah 5-6 minutes and start Cassell at point. I dare someone to top this.
"Sammy", at least to real Husky fans, is Samuel. (Close watchers heard Raff call T-Sam Sammy in the 2nd half.) Brimah should play 5-6 per half. That's 10-12 per game, Newton. Break out the old abacus.

Reaction Score
Cassell Jr. isn' even worthy of a nickname. Well, maybe, "Crap" or "Pointless". I've seen CYO players who are more athletic than he is. Once again, ty recruiting. I wonder who the nut is on the staff who saw Brimah, Cassell, Lubin play, and said, "Let's give him an 80,000 dollar scholarship and let's ride him to the Final Four!." Karl Hobbs? Is he the nut? Rickey Moore? I know it's not Glen Miller. He knows too much about basketball to offer to those scrubs. We all know he pulls the strings with X's and O's, just like he did during the tournament last year. Was it KO who recruited the likes of Brimah and Cassell? Was his shirt buttoned up too tightly when he was watching those guys? Brimah is the biggest bust since Cup Cormier.

This isn't going to go well for you.

Reaction Score
Scot Tissue. Can't change that "P". Stands for perfect. Mediocre Money wouldn't sound so bold on college basketball message boards. Brimah sucks, Ass Wipe.

Seriously? I mean I sort of like the thought behind the name, its hip hop golden-era-esque like Eric and Paris Makin Dollars, but you sound like an ass clown and proving unworthy of it. In the words of the legends, You Gots To Chill. Disparaging Brimah is asinine.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
pmoney247 said:
"Sammy", at least to real Husky fans, is Samuel.

How can you act as a spokesperson for a group you don't belong to?

Reaction Score
I liked his game today. When he realized that his health, looked about 75%, prevented him from playing his game, he adjusted to more of a playmaker dumping passes to the other shooters.

Precisely what he didn't do against Yale in which he tried to do too much. Our new fearless leader is growing and adapting right before our very eyes! I'm verklempt, talk amongst yourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom