Post Game Fight Song | The Boneyard

Post Game Fight Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would like to begin by saying that I am glad this team and season is starting to give the fans more reasons to stay to the end of the game and fight song. I hope they continue to bring back supporters and fans by their hard work and effort!

Classy move by UCONN and HCBD to have the UCONN players join the Army players for their post game fight song. Army graciously returned the favor and joined the UCONN players for their fight song.

However ... after the vocal portion of the fight song all of the UCONN players ran into the tunnel. The Army players did not move until the very end of the song. They paid their respects to UCONN and the UCMB by waiting until the fight song was over, acknowledged the band, and then retreated to their tunnel.

I had never really noticed this before, but band members say the team never stays until the full conclusion of the fight song. Therefore they never really acknowledge the band when they are done ... like the Army players did! The band members found it refreshing that players acknowledged them ... but found it odd that it wasn't their own players! haha

I may be splitting hairs ... but it would be nice to see the players stay until the end of the fight song.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
As a band alumni, I'm 50/50 on this. Some of this is respect for the band's performance. Some of this is pagentry. Leaving during the (repeated) 3rd verse is pretty cool, albeit not staying until end.

If I'm going to nitpick - someone needs to pick the proper ending to the sung portion. The band has always spelled out "C-O-N-N-U , fight!" , the football team always yells out "CONNU, fight!" As this started during the FHCPP days, I declare the band is right. :)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think that our UCMB is under-utilized, under-appreciated in general. For whatever reason, our stadium management crew prefers to blast muzak and pop hits over letting our band add to the collegiate sporting event atmosphere. Watch games being played at many of the "power" schools and you'll hear a battle of bands in the background to fire up their fans. I think that's one of the great things about college sports - a good band. And we have an EXCELLENT band...one of the best in the country, I think. But we don't ever get to listen to them play, instead we have to listen to Taylor Swift and other digital computer songs (usually accompanying those stupid dance cams, kiss cams, etc) that make our stadium seem like small potatoes.

But to your point, I saw the tributes each team gave to each band after the game. I thought it was awesome. They did this last year too at Yankee Stadium - I think it must be something that schools who play Army/Navy do out of respect. I know that Notre Dame has always done that when they play Navy. I wonder if all programs do it or not.

Aside: did you watch the Oregon/Michigan St game on Saturday night? 80,000 strong in their seats after the game was over singing and clapping to their band's fight song. Earlier in the day, it was fun listening to the bands of Oklahoma and Tennessee go back and forth after pivotal moments. Always fun to hear 100,000 fans sing "Rocky Top". I wish that we can one day foster the same kind of environment in our stadium.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Been asking the question for years: how difficult is it to find a marching band arrangement for Crazy Train or Hells Bells (Answer: It's not hard at all...at least for Ohio University, though they have to speed up the tempo, IMO.)? 30 year old pop music is good to pipe through the PA for professional teams. They don't have bands. The Marching Band needs to be used far more than it is. Michigan's band is hear after every first down. Tennessee plays Rocky Top it seems if the Vols make as little as a positive yard. UConn's band is not a large as other schools, but they do not deserve to be stuffed in the corner of the stadium, not to be heard from other than Halftime. If they are really the pride of CT, treat'em accordingly.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Or how about our fans sticking around the extra 5 friggin minutes after the conclusion of the game to at least hear the song and hum along?? I'm lucky since my seats are right above the band, but every game I sit there and look around at a empty stadium. People like can't wait to get out of there and beat traffic I guess. It's going to take us some time to build a tradition like this up.

Reaction Score
Classy move by UCONN and HCBD to have the UCONN players join the Army players for their post game fight song. Army graciously returned the favor and joined the UCONN players for their fight song.

They both did this last year too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or how about our fans sticking around the extra 5 friggin minutes after the conclusion of the game to at least hear the song and hum along?? I'm lucky since my seats are right above the band, but every game I sit there and look around at a empty stadium. People like can't wait to get out of there and beat traffic I guess. It's going to take us some time to build a tradition like this up.
Ironically, if they hung around to listen to song and take a minute or two for a little post game camaraderie, they'd likely miss the glut of traffic caused by people running out to miss the glut of traffic.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Been asking the question for years: how difficult is it to find a marching band arrangement for Crazy Train or Hells Bells (Answer: It's not hard at all...at least for Ohio University, though they have to speed up the tempo, IMO.)? 30 year old pop music is good to pipe through the PA for professional teams. They don't have bands. The Marching Band needs to be used far more than it is. Michigan's band is hear after every first down. Tennessee plays Rocky Top it seems if the Vols make as little as a positive yard. UConn's band is not a large as other schools, but they do not deserve to be stuffed in the corner of the stadium, not to be heard from other than Halftime. If they are really the pride of CT, treat'em accordingly.

I've always had an inkling to write arrangements for the UCMB and Pep Bands over the years, but real life always seemed to get in the way. Nowadays with the right software and equipment, I'm thinking it would be a snap to do stuff like this. I'm gonna look into it and see if I can whip anything up.

But be warned: I lean quite a bit towards old-school hip-hop. So if you happen to hear a rousing UCMB rendition of, say, 'The Humpty Dance' in the near future, just blame me for it now...

Reaction Score
I would like to begin by saying that I am glad this team and season is starting to give the fans more reasons to stay to the end of the game and fight song. I hope they continue to bring back supporters and fans by their hard work and effort!

However ... after the vocal portion of the fight song all of the UCONN players ran into the tunnel. The Army players did not move until the very end of the song. They paid their respects to UCONN and the UCMB by waiting until the fight song was over, acknowledged the band, and then retreated to their tunnel.

I had never really noticed this before, but band members say the team never stays until the full conclusion of the fight song. Therefore they never really acknowledge the band when they are done ... like the Army players did! The band members found it refreshing that players acknowledged them ... but found it odd that it wasn't their own players! haha

I may be splitting hairs ... but it would be nice to see the players stay until the end of the fight song.
I have been to other Army games. It is a nice tradition of theirs. As far I know this is done at every Army game home and away. I couldn't imagine any school refusing to join them.

Reaction Score
As a symbol of appropriate respect, with very rare exception this is almost always done in games involving our military schools.

Reaction Score
All of the academies have that tradition. They do the loser's song first and then the winner's - hence you'll sometimes hear players or fans saying that the objective for the game is to "sing second."

I was actually disappointed in the small group of cadets that accompanied the Army team. I was on the other side of the stadium, but when they introduced the veterans between the 1st and 2nd quarters and the crowd rose to their feet, the cadets appeared uninterested and stayed in their seats. I noticed the same thing when the ROTC staff was introduced between the 3rd and 4th quarters. I mentioned it to my nephew, a West Point grad, and he said they would have been very sorry if they showed such disrespect. Did anyone else notice this?

Reaction Score

Are the post game songs the school's alma mater or their fight song?

Reaction Score
I also love the band. However, why do we have to listen to "cold hearted snake" year after year? Was it that great of a song in its day? Maybe change a song here and there.

Reaction Score

The players assemble in the corner of the stadium in front of the band to sing the fight song. Then the band performs post game songs on the field including the fight song, the alma mater, ........... and unfortunately cold hearted snake ... and I agree with goofus ... that song needs to be retired.

Reaction Score

The academies sing their alma mater. I was at West Point a few years ago when they beat Air Force for their first inter-academy game win in six years (unfortunately they would fumble in the last minute to lose to Navy so they didn't win the CiC Trophy) and it was something I'll never forget. The cadets stormed the field like it was San Juan Hill and grizzled old alums were crying during the alma mater.

I'm not sure why UConn chose the fight song, but I guess they can pick whatever they want to sing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The academies sing their alma mater. I was at West Point a few years ago when they beat Air Force for their first inter-academy game win in six years (unfortunately they would fumble in the last minute to lose to Navy so they didn't win the CiC Trophy) and it was something I'll never forget. The cadets stormed the field like it was San Juan Hill and grizzled old alums were crying during the alma mater.

I'm not sure why UConn chose the fight song, but I guess they can pick whatever they want to sing.
Do you know the words to the Alma Mater? They passed out the words during Husky WOW! in 1995, but that was the last time I even remotely remember what the tune even sounded like.

The fight song was drilled into our heads that weekend, as was the Husky dance, sort of a Macarena done to Madonna's Holiday.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Do you know the words to the Alma Mater? They passed out the words during Husky WOW! in 1995, but that was the last time I even remotely remember what the tune even sounded like.

The fight song was drilled into our heads that weekend, as was the Husky dance, sort of a Macarena done to Madonna's Holiday.

I wouldn't blame anyone for forgetting what the alma mater sounds like, given the horrid "can you top this?" versions that get passed out by some student organization at every homecoming.

Reaction Score

Since I'm not a UConn alum I don't. Both schools I attended, RPI and Cornell, have the alma mater as an important part of athletic games and celebrations. However, I can understand if UConn wants to use its fight song, which is IMHO one of the best in the country, over an alma mater that most don't know.

Reaction Score
Since I'm not a UConn alum I don't. Both schools I attended, RPI and Cornell, have the alma mater as an important part of athletic games and celebrations. However, I can understand if UConn wants to use its fight song, which is IMHO one of the best in the country, over an alma mater that most don't know.

OLD CONNECTICUT
line.gif

Once more, as we gather today,
To sing our Alma Mater's praise,
And join in the fellowship strong,
Which inspires our college days.
We're backing our teams in the strife
Cheering them to victory!
And Pledge anew to old Connecticut,
Our steadfast spirit of loyalty.

(Chorus)
Connecticut, Connecticut,