Post Game Comments By Players - Tulsa Game | The Boneyard

Post Game Comments By Players - Tulsa Game

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but for most of these players' post-game comments (and Geno's too), I cringe at a lot of the questions that get asked. They just seem so repetitive, so predictable, and so awkward for the girls to answer in many cases. How many times this season have they been asked some variation of whether they are "assuming a leadership role", or whether they feel their "consistency" is where it should be or how did Saniya (or Lou or Gabby, etc) "help the team tonight". And we get the same well-meaning & totally predictable answers. I mean seriously, is this the best the local press can come up with? I know this probably sounds away too critical, but I'm still waiting for an original question that manages to elicit an interesting answer without embarrassing the kids. Maybe just me?

Reaction Score
Diplomacy, humility, what's best for the team, beats "Saniya really sucked out there tonight." Geno gets the zingers but for the rest of the team, the all-for-one-Mantra must prevail.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe it's just me, but for most of these players' post-game comments (and Geno's too), I cringe at a lot of the questions that get asked. They just seem so repetitive, so predictable, and so awkward for the girls to answer in many cases. How many times this season have they been asked some variation of whether they are "assuming a leadership role", or whether they feel their "consistency" is where it should be or how did Saniya (or Lou or Gabby, etc) "help the team tonight". And we get the same well-meaning & totally predictable answers. I mean seriously, is this the best the local press can come up with? I know this probably sounds away too critical, but I'm still waiting for an original question that manages to elicit an interesting answer without embarrassing the kids. Maybe just me?

My favorites are the "leading" questions that go on for half a minute or more and leave the player no room to say anything but "yes". These same stellar journalists do it to coaches too. I loved Geno's honesty about a week ago when asked if he enjoyed his conversations with the media: "No."

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
It is a long-held fantasy of mine that I make a significant contribution in helping my team (doesn't matter which sport) stage a major upset, and when that microphone is thrown in my face and that obligatory "How did you win today?" question is popped, I calmly say: "We scored more points. Next question, please."

Reaction Score
I totally agree. And it isn't just the lame, repetitive questions asked of the UCONN team, it happens in all sports. When has an NFL coach or player ( in season) ever been asked something provocative and given a substantive, or insightful, reply? We can all predict the answers. I think player and coach interviews should be eliminated. They are painful to watch.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"How were you able to find the concentration to sink 11 out of 13 shots?"
"Actually, the ball just kept dropping in the hole."
Next week;
"You are usually a deadly shooter, but tonight you shot 0/7 on threes. What went wrong?"
"Actually, the damn ball just would not drop through the hole."

Reaction Score
I understand the concerns, but at least you have news media following the team. Here in Charlottesville, we're lucky to get 1-2 brief articles a week about the UVA women's team.

Reaction Score
My favorites are the "leading" questions that go on for half a minute or more and leave the player no room to say anything but "yes". These same stellar journalists do it to coaches too. I loved Geno's honesty about a week ago when asked if he enjoyed his conversations with the media: "No."
That's exactly what I'm talking about....tough spot to put a 18-20 year old kid in. I realize the women's basketball beat may not attract the best in journalism, but there has to be something better.

Reaction Score
Next week;
"You are usually a deadly shooter, but tonight you shot 0/7 on threes. What went wrong?"
One could only wish....then maybe the level of questions might improve, or maybe it all just goes away. No big loss.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Next week;
We should start a thread titled "Things you'd love to hear the players say in interviews." Maybe I will.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Crash Davis had the answer:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom