Post-Game Article: Gabby Talks Crystal | The Boneyard

Post-Game Article: Gabby Talks Crystal

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
“I wasn’t surprised at all with what she did today,” UConn senior forward Gabby Williams said. “We all saw how comfortable she looked, she helped me get my energy up. It was fun to play with her, it is fun having another kind of speed demon to be a pest on defense. Offensively, how she was leading, the confidence that she was shooting with, it just showed how much more mature she is.”

And we correctly surmised Geno's assessment of the game: “Our defense was really good (in the first half),” Auriemma said. “I don’t know if we could have played much better. I thought the effort and execution was really good and it led to a lot of stuff at the other end. That is kind of who we are, we create stuff off our defense and go from there. I thought the second half was not worth mentioning.”

Crystal Dangerfield shines as UConn women roll past Stanford in opener

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Elsewhere Katie Lou talked Crystal: “When she’s shooting like that or when anyone on our team … is shooting like that, it’s so much harder for teams to figure out, well, who we going to stop?” Samuelson said. “Having that versatility with every single player is kind of what we want to be at and show every game because we want to be able to go to anyone that’s hot that game. That just opens up the floor for the rest of us and when she’s shooting like that, that helps me and that helps[Napheesa Collier] and that helps Gabby, too.”

And Geno and Gabby offered thoughts on the second half let down.

Auriemma said UConn was coming off a demanding week of practice, which contributed to a less than active second half. The energy was lower and the defense less intense as Stanford outscored UConn 39-29.

“Fatigue is part of it, but we’re supposed to be the team that doesn’t show fatigue,” said Williams (11 points, seven rebounds). “We’re supposed to be the team that never gets tired and out-hustles everyone for 40 minutes, not 20 minutes. So that was disappointing for us. I also think it was, our mindset and our approached changed.

“Going into the game, it was our first time stepping onto the [floor] for the 2017 season. Everyone was excited, everyone had all the adrenaline going. In the second half, I think, with the score being what it was, we relaxed so much. That’s not what great teams do.”

UConn Opens Season With 78-53 Win Over Stanford

Reaction Score
Nice article. The video though ! The announcer pronounced Azura as A -ZUR-uh :confused:. And "Lady Huskies" (When I hear that I always want them to call the men's team the "Gentlemen Huskies") :p

Reaction Score
Nice article. The video though ! The announcer pronounced Azura as A -ZUR-uh :confused:. And "Lady Huskies" (When I hear that I always want them to call the men's team the "Gentlemen Huskies") :p
Azura if pronounced as spelled --comes out that way. I can forgive that ONCE. Going back 25/30 years Geno disliked the comparison to the LADY VOLS and demanded Uconn Huskies. This is NOT New, that's the unforgivable part

Reaction Score
Oh Geno: "The second half was not worth mentioning," Auriemma said. "We changed our defense a little bit, and I must not have explained it properly. Because I think they thought, 'Coach said play no defense.' So I've gotta change my wording."

Geno knows the 3rd and 4th qtrs were played by bench sitters and frosh with Z and Kia or KLS. Not the same game--but kudo's to Geno for putting the kids in and to give them experience. I put stock in the timing of subs Walker and Molly first.
Getting back to MORIAH---I MEAN DANGER. dID mORIAH have a game of this magnitude against a top 10 team in her soph year?? Defense was more than good, really good, scoring from all over the floor--she led the game in all brackets the first half. Amazing performance--now repeat it against Cal and three games away Md. How to go Danger--you are dangerous..

Lots of great quotes in this article.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wasn't too surprised by the second half. The game was over by half-time. There was no life in the arena. The team lost its edge. Stanford is prideful and you would expect them to come out firing. Lisa Mattingly got involved and fouls helped slow the game down. The team lost more of its edge. They're human. It happens. First game. The first half was as good as it gets.

Crystal was really good.

Reaction Score
Yes, again and again ... how hard is it?
As your ray ---is more difficult to pull from the spelling of Azura. Good smart announcer check out the pronunciation of each of the top 5 or 7 of each team---have the phonetic spelling easily available during the game. Two or three times said--Hunky Dory or Okie Dokie (got it) or (have you got it?)\
because I'd be copa-setic with that being done

Reaction Score
Elsewhere Katie Lou talked Crystal: “When she’s shooting like that or when anyone on our team … is shooting like that, it’s so much harder for teams to figure out, well, who we going to stop?” Samuelson said. “Having that versatility with every single player is kind of what we want to be at and show every game because we want to be able to go to anyone that’s hot that game. That just opens up the floor for the rest of us and when she’s shooting like that, that helps me and that helps[Napheesa Collier] and that helps Gabby, too.”

And Geno and Gabby offered thoughts on the second half let down.

Auriemma said UConn was coming off a demanding week of practice, which contributed to a less than active second half. The energy was lower and the defense less intense as Stanford outscored UConn 39-29.

“Fatigue is part of it, but we’re supposed to be the team that doesn’t show fatigue,” said Williams (11 points, seven rebounds). “We’re supposed to be the team that never gets tired and out-hustles everyone for 40 minutes, not 20 minutes. So that was disappointing for us. I also think it was, our mindset and our approached changed.

“Going into the game, it was our first time stepping onto the [floor] for the 2017 season. Everyone was excited, everyone had all the adrenaline going. In the second half, I think, with the score being what it was, we relaxed so much. That’s not what great teams do.”

UConn Opens Season With 78-53 Win Over Stanford
I could ask you a question some wise guy asked me: Are you sure you have not violated copy rights? (or words to that effect)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As your ray ---is more difficult to pull from the spelling of Azura. Good smart announcer check out the pronunciation of each of the top 5 or 7 of each team---have the phonetic spelling easily available during the game. Two or three times said--Hunky Dory or Okie Dokie (got it) or (have you got it?)\
because I'd be copa-setic with that being done
The pronunciation is on the UConn website and may be in the media guide. A little research would be beneficial.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was a career high on points for Danger. But it was not just points. Every aspect of her game was excellent. An amazing transformation.
She had relatively few assists today, but her finishers failed to finish. She should have had at least 6 or 7.

Coaches are already tearing up their game plans: We can’t leave HER open!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn't too surprised by the second half. The game was over by half-time. There was no life in the arena. The team lost its edge. Stanford is prideful and you would expect them to come out firing. Lisa Mattingly got involved and fouls helped slow the game down. The team lost more of its edge. They're human. It happens. First game. The first half was as good as it gets.

Crystal was really good.
I agree. It wasn’t fun to watch, but the game really was over after 15 minutes or so. In the second half, Geno changed the defense, Stanford had more motivation, Geno subbed a lot, and our shots rolled out.

I find it a little strange that the team was tired, but I trust that they will be sharper and more rested on Friday at home.

Crystal doesn’t have the reach that Moriah does, but she sure can anticipate in the passing lanes. We got steals on only about half our deflections. The defense was VERY disruptive in the first half.

We shot only 41% for the game and about 30% in the second half. The transition offense was deadly. The half-court offense wasn’t sharp. Some of it was due to the Stanford defense, but the spacing was decidedly off today.

I hope Pheesa gets 100% healed soon and Z finds her 3-point shot in games. Geno was right: Lou is better, and Crystal is way better.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I could ask you a question some wise guy asked me: Are you sure you have not violated copy rights? (or words to that effect)

I'll give you a serious answer. I'd estimate that 85% of that material is quotes of Geno and players uttered in public settings. Surely the paper would not claim ownership of those statements. But also I'd say I was well within the fair use doctrine.

Reaction Score
Okay folks. She's fully aware that people are always going to have difficulty with her name. It hasn't stunted her growth or gracious demeanor. My three daughters have African names (first and middle). Their grandparents had difficulty until at least high school. They're all adults now; married, with children. They love their names and their significance. Try this one (oldest's middle name): Iyabo. It's now her company's name.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Okay folks. She's fully aware that people are always going to have difficulty with her name. It hasn't stunted her growth or gracious demeanor. My three daughters have African names (first and middle). Their grandparents had difficulty until at least high school. They're all adults now; married, with children. They love their names and their significance. Try this one (oldest's middle name): Iyabo. It's now her company's name.
Just guessing: eye-yah-bo?

Reaction Score
A professional announcer should do his/ her homework. Or somebody should have provided the pronunciation. The phonetic spelling is easily available.
(BTW, it always tickles me that phonetic isn't spelled phonetically)

Reaction Score
I'll give you a serious answer. I'd estimate that 85% of that material is quotes of Geno and players uttered in public settings. Surely the paper would not claim ownership of those statements. But also I'd say I was well within the fair use doctrine.
Copyright laws for theft of material takes time to adjudicate. Public property of the spoken word of Celebs dilutes the waters. But you should consult your attorney for all the words NOT between the " "'s . Obviously I'm holding and putting downward pressure on your lower extremities

Reaction Score
A professional announcer should do his/ her homework. Or somebody should have provided the pronunciation. The phonetic spelling is easily available.
(BTW, it always tickles me that phonetic isn't spelled phonetically)
Okie Doke. 10 years ago and beyond that spelling and grammatical punctuation just flowed. Now only those things that are important is expressed. So I expect that if one understands what has been written--communication happen and if Understood it happened at its best. Purity of words and grammar is expected in formal communications --in blogs--Well??? copa-setic??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Okie Doke. 10 years ago and beyond that spelling and grammatical punctuation just flowed. Now only those things that are important is expressed. So I expect that if one understands what has been written--communication happen and if Understood it happened at its best. Purity of words and grammar is expected in formal communications --in blogs--Well??? copa-setic??
I think we’ll see a spate of okie-dokies on the BY! ;)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score

These issues are the reason that broadcasters typically have pre-production meetings before each game. You don’t just show up and start talking. Well, if you‘re any good you don’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom