Positives | The Boneyard

Positives

Reaction Score
Physically, the team looks like an FBS team again. Especially on offense. We got a lot bigger in one off season, both through recruiting and weight training.

The offense was competent outside of turnovers. Receivers were getting wide open. Pindell should be able to take over a game or two this year which might lead to a surprised win here or there. If the running game can improve a little then those play action rollouts will be even more effective.

Some of the freshman showed flashes. Travis Jones in particular. Gillespie somehow got a carry and looked like he belonged. Haynes wasn't awful for his first game.

Yeah it was 56-17 but it didn't look like we didn't belong on an FBS football field like it did under Diaco

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed. Both OL and DL looked like they belonged on an NCAA field, which is a nice change. And Pindell looks like he's good enough to really help us win games. But we desperately need the youngsters on defense to grow up quickly. It's hard to know if that was completely because of UCF, completely because of us, or a combination of both (I'm guessing both).

I still have hope for a positive season, but that defense is going to have to make some big strides in order for it to happen...

Reaction Score
The couple times I watched Haynes at RG, he was getting physical w/the lineman and wasn't overpowered. He attacked, didn't look nervous (though I"m sure he was). Encouraging. Leone got his fair share of reps at RG as well, and looked serviceable. Did Cespedes ever make it on the field? I don't remember seeing him out there.

Also, looked like we ran the ball better to the right side.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Physically, the team looks like an FBS team again. Especially on offense. We got a lot bigger in one off season, both through recruiting and weight training.

The offense was competent outside of turnovers. Receivers were getting wide open. Pindell should be able to take over a game or two this year which might lead to a surprised win here or there. If the running game can improve a little then those play action rollouts will be even more effective.

Some of the freshman showed flashes. Travis Jones in particular. Gillespie somehow got a carry and looked like he belonged. Haynes wasn't awful for his first game.

Yeah it was 56-17 but it didn't look like we didn't belong on an FBS football field like it did under Diaco

I’m really not feeling that way in terms of seeing a difference in product. Sure, the offense was fine, but I saw last night as equally embarrassing to the diaco era minus insane play calls and fake field goals. I basically just looked away when our defense played because it was so painful. Maybe I’m just being dramatic, but I feel like my patience is wearing thin. Another couple blowouts and I’ll probablt start staying home on game days. There’s just better stuff to do in life than keep pulling my hair out watching this. I haven’t watched us beat an fbs team in over two years, as I had to miss tulsalasr year

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’m really not feeling that way in terms of seeing a difference in product. Sure, the offense was fine, but I saw last night as equally embarrassing to the diaco era minus insane play calls and fake field goals. I basically just looked away when our defense played because it was so painful. Maybe I’m just being dramatic, but I feel like my patience is wearing thin. Another couple blowouts and I’ll probablt start staying home on game days. There’s just better stuff to do in life than keep pulling my hair out watching this. I haven’t watched us beat an fbs team in over two years, as I had to miss tulsalasr year

Yeah, but acting like these guys while watching from home is not nearly as fun as being there in person.

upload_2018-8-31_11-44-36.jpeg

Reaction Score
I really didn't think it was that bad all things considered. Physically we were much bigger and faster than the past few seasons.

Reaction Score
It is tough, I dont care how diehard you are. Weekday game requires you take/schedule time off from work in addition to paying for tickets, parking, concessions etc. When it feels like an obligation to keep supporting the program, it starts to wear on you. I may try a game from the club seats late in the year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We could play Alabama and people will complain about our team. We played one of the best teams in the country and we were physically and mentally out matched not sure how we can blame this on our team..

Reaction Score
The couple times I watched Haynes at RG, he was getting physical w/the lineman and wasn't overpowered. He attacked, didn't look nervous (though I"m sure he was). Encouraging. Leone got his fair share of reps at RG as well, and looked serviceable. Did Cespedes ever make it on the field? I don't remember seeing him out there.

Also, looked like we ran the ball better to the right side.

I don’t understand how Leone doesn’t start. He was mauling people in the run game and he is no worse than the other two guards in pass protection.

Reaction Score
It is tough, I dont care how diehard you are. Weekday game requires you take/schedule time off from work in addition to paying for tickets, parking, concessions etc. When it feels like an obligation to keep supporting the program, it starts to wear on you. I may try a game from the club seats late in the year.

This is all true. One can wonder how long it will take Edsall and staff to turn this around, but also wonder how much longer you are willing to be a part of it waiting and hoping for it to be fun again.

Reaction Score
This is all true. One can wonder how long it will take Edsall and staff to turn this around, but also wonder how much longer you are willing to be a part of it waiting and hoping for it to be fun again.
We all endured it before we can do it again. Honestly that’s what happens when u hire bad coaching when Edsall left. Not Edsall’s fault he is trying to do his best with what we have. Our team will be good just some growing up to do. It will be fun once again it just takes time

Reaction Score
It's really a question of how soon can they get a lockdown corner and sideline-sideline LB on campus. Until we fix those position groups, we are going to be terrible. Hopefully there are players on the roster that can improve for next year or throughout this season

Reaction Score

You have to give Edsall 4 years, but that’s 2020. That’s 10 years since the Fiesta bowl.

Reaction Score
It's really a question of how soon can they get a lockdown corner and sideline-sideline LB on campus. Until we fix those position groups, we are going to be terrible. Hopefully there are players on the roster that can improve for next year or throughout this season

We need a pass rush the most right now. I said it before the season if we rush passer the same as we did last year it would be same old same old. And we were terrible rushing passer yesterday.

Reaction Score
We need a pass rush the most right now. I said it before the season if we rush passer the same as we did last year it would be same old same old. And we were terrible rushing passer yesterday.
That doesn't help the quick hits on outs, fades and slants, though. And we will just continue to get nickel and dimed there until DB and LB play improves

Reaction Score

Bad analogy. Back then, we were building a new stadium, playing 1-A teams and moving up and in to a P5 conference. There was an excitement that came with all of that. Now, it is a decade of uninspired leadership and play all layered with the knowledge that were the SINGLE team (from that time) left out of the P5.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but acting like these guys while watching from home is not nearly as fun as being there in person.

View attachment 34059

but parking is easier and food and drink are free. Also, no line for the bathroom and you can see other games during breaks. This program better figure out soon how to reengage folks

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Bad analogy. Back then, we were building a new stadium, playing 1-A teams and moving up and in to a P5 conference. There was an excitement that came with all of that. Now, it is a decade of uninspired leadership and play all layered with the knowledge that were the SINGLE team (from that time) left out of the P5.
Bad analogy? So what is the right analogy, for Edsall to be Scott Frost (ie wishcasting)? I can tell you are having a bad hangover from yesterday. I've got news for you, this is a long uphill walk and no matter what us idiots manage to cook up on a chat board, it wont change the facts and circumstances for this program.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
but parking is easier and food and drink are free. Also, no line for the bathroom and you can see other games during breaks. This program better figure out soon how to reengage folks
We all know that..... and here's something you also know too, you dont have to go.

Reaction Score
Ok, now who’s dealing with a hangover.

RE 1 had a dozen things he could sell kids and fans on. Which of those is present today? There’s a reality to the situation. You can shove your head up you if you want, but in no way are these 2 rebuilds similar.

I’m realistic. I’m not overly disappointed with last night as I took a lot of positives from it. But I’m not going to point to the
blueprint we used earlier, unless u have info about stadium upgrades or car wash info. Said differently, You think Dan O (a huge fan of the program and RE) would’ve picked the AAC version of UConn?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok, now who’s dealing with a hangover.

RE 1 had a dozen things he could sell kids and fans on. Which of those is present today? There’s a reality to the situation. You can shove your head up you if you want, but in no way are these 2 rebuilds similar.

I’m realistic. I’m not overly disappointed with last night as I took a lot of positives from it. But I’m not going to point to the
blueprint we used earlier, unless u have info about stadium upgrades or car wash info. Said differently, You think Dan O (a huge fan of the program and RE) would’ve picked the AAC version of UConn?

You have read way too much into my mere reference to Edsall 1.0's year by year trajectory. I haven't made any points comparing Edsall 1.0's situation to the current other than to point out he didn't win right away. In fact, it looked pretty dicey until he won the final four games of year 3 to bring his team to 6-6. Edsall 1.0 was on the verge of finishing year 3 as a failure until that win streak and then in year 4 he went 9-3 (with three losses to Miami, VT and BC).

But now that you have brought up the other issues; no of course its not totally comparable because today we have lost that P5 status.

Dan O probably would not have stayed this time around in part because I believe HUDL and all this HS tape that is very easy to share would have put Dan on the radar of many more great schools. I think an underappreciated aspect to our challenge today is that video sharing technology has made it very easy for the big programs to scoop up what used to be semi hidden talent hiding in the northeast. All programs are looking at far more kids in greater detail and this is hurting the middle and lower schools.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have read way too much into my mere reference to Edsall 1.0's year by year trajectory. I haven't made any points comparing Edsall 1.0's situation to the current other than to point out he didn't win right away. In fact, it looked pretty dicey until he won the final four games of year 3 to bring his team to 6-6. Edsall 1.0 was on the verge of finishing year 3 as a failure until that win streak and then in year 4 he went 9-3 (with three losses to Miami, VT and BC).

But now that you have brought this other issues up; no of course its not totally comparable because today we have lost that P5 status.

Dan O probably would not have stayed this time around in part because I believe HUDL and all this HS tape that is very easy to share would have put Dan on the radar of many more great schools. I think an underappreciated aspect to our challenge today is that video sharing technology has made it very easy for the big programs to scoop up what used to be semi hidden talent hiding in the northeast. All programs are looking at far more kids in greater detail and this is hurting the middle and lower schools.
yup. it was tough to recruit the first time around, it's even harder now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom