Positives and Concerns - Coach Mora | The Boneyard

Positives and Concerns - Coach Mora

Reaction Score
First things first - I am rooting for Coach Mora to bring this team to respectability. That’s what this program badly needs.

When I heard that Coach Mora was going to be given the Herculean task, I came up with some positives and concerns about the hiring (not just about coach Mora but the timing) Would be great to hear what others think.

Positives of Coach Mora:
  • He has name recognition - that is important both for perception of the hire and to recruits.
  • Coach Mora has been successful in the college ranks. I have been a big proponent of hiring a coach who has head coaching experience. He took over a reeling UCLA program and had some very good seasons in a tough conference.
Questions of Coach Mora
  • Does he have the fire to give this job 100%? I get concerned because he has been out of coaching for several years - is he willing to do what it takes? Coach P showed he was not all in. And same with HCRE 2.0.
  • He does not have ties to the recruiting areas that need to be recruited hard: Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia. This can be solved with assistant coach hires that are solid recruiters in these areas.
Hiring Coach now:
  • I think this was a must and after letting the hiring settle a little (I was not a fan at all of the mora hiring when it was announced) I understand. We miss out on current coaches that might have been better hires but we need to be honest here: while coaching played a large part in the program’s demise, there is a dearth of talent on this roster (this is where we need to be honest with ourselves). Hiring a coach now gives him a head start on combing through the transfer portal and getting a much needed talent infusion. Additionally it allows Coach Mora to observe current roster and work on keeping core players while also allowing him to work on keeping recruits. It also allows him to continue to recruit - he might be able to add some talent to the incoming class.
Questions that must be answered:
  • Assistant Coach Salary Pool: UCONN can and must significantly increase assistant pool. We need talented coaches and players to get back on track.
  • Admission Standards: These must be relaxed for a portion of the roster. We can’t miss out on talented players because of rigid admission standards.
Some fans are more excited by the hire than others but I think we all agree we want this program on the ascent again.

Uconnalliance

Just win baby
Reaction Score
The other hope is that he can groom a young coach to stay here and keep the torch lit

Uconnalliance

Just win baby
Reaction Score
Getting way ahead of myself here - but Marinellis name was mentioned regarding a position coach in the Mora announcement thread. Would love to get him back to Connecticut.
We lost a solid young coach under RE.. can’t remember his name, Lashee?? Went to Auburn???

Reaction Score
I think we simply have to give Benedict credit for this hire and hope for the best. I don't think one person in the yard threw Mora's name out there and yet here we are, HC Jim Mora. UCONN's Football situation is well known by pretty much anyone who follows college football. I don't have any questions that DB and JM probably haven't already covered in great detail.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I will never forget Paul P's postgame interview after his second 5-7 season. He looked relieved the season was over after losing to Cinci. . guy. The loss to Iowa St was a crime with the turnovers we had in the first half PP's first season (again 5-7). PP was not all in. The fact that Mora wanted the job as soon as Edsall was discharged says he will be better and wants to get us back to respectability.

Reaction Score
We will find out real quick if he can recruit. Recruiting will be huge for UCONN this year, and we will find out if he can put together a staff that can bring in some talent.

Reaction Score
We will find out real quick if he can recruit. Recruiting will be huge for UCONN this year, and we will find out if he can put together a staff that can bring in some talent.

No, we really won’t. I’d love to see him get off to a great start this winter, but you can’t even begin to judge how he recruits until next year. And even then, to be fair, you have to recognize he’s already starting behind other programs

Reaction Score
Saw this comment about Mora on the UCLA forum. There are some who think Chip Kelly will be fired soon since he is just 5-4 this season. FYI, some there think we will build a Mora statue if he can win 4-5 games a year here lol. It would be a trip if UCONN can set up a game against UCLA while Mora is here, and it will be even more awesome if we can beat UCLA at the Rose Bowl.

1636684013219.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No, we really won’t. I’d love to see him get off to a great start this winter, but you can’t even begin to judge how he recruits until next year. And even then, to be fair, you have to recognize he’s already starting behind other programs
I bet we have unprecedented success (for UConn) from the transfer portal this cycle. Including a QB.

Reaction Score
There is little value in picking this hire apart. The deed is done. I do think there were 3 consensus names tossed around here that were better suited. Sometimes people get a little too creative and for their own good. Onward we go.

Reaction Score
I'm all in on Mora. And on Benedict. He did a thorough search and yet at the end decided to look outside the short list that Parker presented. This was DB's search, recommended by someone outside the inner circle. And he pursued it. The time he and Mora spent together, both via Zoom and in person, was extraordinary. It's never easy to know if you've got the right guy, but let me suggest that DB had the right idea. Let me offer this as evidence: I submit that if Warde Manuel had spent 4 days living at Diaco's house, chances are he just might have noticed a few (shall we say) eccentricities.

Reaction Score
Hallelujah!
UCONN probably saved a ton on the search cost since DB hired his own candidate. Mora was being paid $3.5M last year while he was at UCLA, and we got a bargain assuming he can still deliver like he did at UCLA. He always had a great offense at UCLA, and he also had great QBs. Hopefully, he can mold Tyler P into his type of QB or get one that can run his offense.

Reaction Score
This is the best hire in the division 1 history of UConn football. Not a single other legit candidate is even close. Will go down as the best head coach hiring of 2021.

You think after AD Dave talked with him for a few days he couldn't figure out whether he has the fire or not? Why question his recruiting ties when you have the answer - hire good assistants. Don't think being an ex NFL coach (with 15 years of assistant NFL experience) and ex coach of UCLA will impress the level of recruits that can be attracted to UConn, maybe not guys choosing UCLA or Penn State but surely between most G5 schools and the lower half of P5 vs. UConn it will be impressive.

Expect his NFL experience to be especially helpful in the transfer portal where guys think they have an NFL shot with more playing time; who better to dialog with, get an evaluation from and potentially play for than a guy who was a coach in the NFL for 20 years.

This guy has no need to duckk up his life by candy assing around at half speed with a loser program. He's all in and it will show.

Reaction Score
This is the best hire in the division 1 history of UConn football. Not a single other legit candidate is even close. Will go down as the best head coach hiring of 2021.

You think after AD Dave talked with him for a few days he couldn't figure out whether he has the fire or not? Why question his recruiting ties when you have the answer - hire good assistants. Don't think being an ex NFL coach (with 15 years of assistant NFL experience) and ex coach of UCLA will impress the level of recruits that can be attracted to UConn, maybe not guys choosing UCLA or Penn State but surely between most G5 schools and the lower half of P5 vs. UConn it will be impressive.

Expect his NFL experience to be especially helpful in the transfer portal where guys think they have an NFL shot with more playing time; who better to dialog with, get an evaluation from and potentially play for than a guy who was a coach in the NFL for 20 years.

This guy has no need to duckk up his life by candy assing around at half speed with a loser program. He's all in and it will show.

Excited Blues Brothers GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom