Positive Path Forward | The Boneyard

Positive Path Forward

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I would say that you folks don't have any idea how hard it is to muster up any optimistic view going forward after last night, but the folks left here talking UConn football at this point are an extremely resilient bunch. Kudos to us all.

Here's what I've got: get the win against URI, preferably in a very nice fashion, even more preferably with a nice defensive performance. Leave a much better taste in the youngsters' mouths.

Go into the Carrier Dome and shock a Syracuse team picked to finish last in their division of the ACC. Not a giant shock, but... you know. It's a critical game to help us get our northeastern mojo back on the recruiting trail. A 2-2 record going into the Cincy game, and we're back to what most people would have taken as a reasonably positive start for a very young team.

It's going to require some very good memory loss from the youngsters, and some very good whiskey on my part. But it's doable. Hope springs eternal... for a little while longer...

Reaction Score
Back to basics. They need to work on tackling. How many times did we have multiple defenders get dragged to the 1st down marker last night?

On offense can these receivers get ANY separation? It's the reason Pindell looks to run so quickly. No one can get open.

Reaction Score
I had a dream that a 180-pound Boise receiver dragged the entire UConn defense 12 yards for a touchdown. At least it feels like it was a dream.
I forgot about that one actually. I don't agree with Randy not showing them the tape. That speaks to effort. Last week they quit in the 3rd quarter. This it game it happened sooner. Mensah should not have said it publicly, but he wasn't wrong.

Reaction Score
Syracuse has scored a ton of points their first 2 games (albeit against Western Mich & Wagner). Hard to see us being competitive in that one unless the coaches stop the hemorrhaging on defense.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Positive: I think we all knew we'd be 0-2 entering week 3 and we are.

Negative: our defense is worse than we all thought and we all thought it would be very bad.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Team isn't strong enough up front to compete for 4 quarters even if theh aren't making mistakes. It isn't even necessarily a scheme or talent problem. We can't tell becuase we aren't meeting the basic physical bar of entry to the FBS level.

Guys are getting washed aside at every position. Winning zero of the one on one battles.

Reaction Score
Team isn't strong enough up front to compete for 4 quarters even if theh aren't making mistakes. It isn't even necessarily a scheme or talent problem. We can't tell becuase we aren't meeting the basic physical bar of entry to the FBS level.

Guys are getting washed aside at every position. Winning zero of the one on one battles.

This isn't about scheme, and while folks have quit only idiots on D wouldn't have quit the last two games. We are not big, strong and fast enough to compete with our Defensive front 7 against the two teams we've played. Let's see how we do against URI. But there was no basis to think our D would be much better losing all those starters just because those starters weren't any good.

Reaction Score
No one in our front 7 as played anywhere near as good as an average game by Fatukasi or Joseph. So far we are much worse than last year at D-line and linebacking.

Reaction Score
No one in our front 7 as played anywhere near as good as an average game by Fatukasi or Joseph. So far we are much worse than last year at D-line and linebacking.

We couldn't stop UCF last year and both those guys are NFL talents. It shouldn't come as a shock that we don't have freshmen and sophmores that are competing at that level.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I honestly think they will struggle to get 1-2 wins this year. They are a bad football team. I'd probably be a bit more positive if I didn't watch both games.

Reaction Score
They are going to get destroyed by Syracuse. So no idea why there is a need to be positive on that front.

We desperately need a win v. URI. I see it as a toss up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom