Portal Questions | The Boneyard

Portal Questions

Reaction Score
I have a few portal questions.

1. Was the cutoff for people in the portal to be eligible to play next year yesterday, 5/1?
2. If so, how many of the 1,000+ people in the portal are left without a chair when the music stopped?
3. If several hundred people in the portal have no team next year does this (hopefully) tarnish the portal?
4. Did Piath get picked up? If not, would she stay with UConn? Not knowing the circumstances, would UConn want her back?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I still have hope that Piath decides it is in her best interests to return. We don't know how she will develop on the court...a few glimpses here and there. But...we do know what kind of teammate she would be...a superb one.

Having said that...hope she gets an offer that she enthusiastically embraces.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. Yes. So the pool of players who are eligible to play immediately is now defined.
2. Unknown but I would estimate at least a third of the over 1100 players will not find a new home. Call it 350–400.
3. Yes, in that it should make players more aware of the risk. Still I think there will always be a group of players who wrongly believe that a change of venue is all they need to reach their potential.
4. I don’t believe so.

Reaction Score
I still have hope that Piath decides it is in her best interests to return. We don't know how she will develop on the court...a few glimpses here and there. But...we do know what kind of teammate she would be...a superb one.

Having said that...hope she gets an offer that she enthusiastically embraces.
She has two solid D2 programs right there in her hometown that would be the perfect competition level for her if she's looking for PT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There will still be a handful of names added to the portal after May 1, who will be immediately available, specifically juniors & seniors who complete their degrees.

As for tarnishing the portal, there were several hundred kids who didn’t find a new home last year and there’s more kids in the portal this year than ever. A lot of these kids are graduating seniors who just want to delay the inevitable need to get on with their lives. Others are little used reserves who nobody will be interested in.

No news on Piath yet. But there is no guarantee that Geno would accept her back on the team. Piath didn’t help herself with her academic issues that kept her in Storrs during the Bridgeport regional.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) Yes
2) Unknown because technically the music has not stopped yet. Although players had to be entered into the portal by May1st they are not required to choose a new school until the start of fall semester which is late August for most schools.
3) I doubt very much that we are looking at hundreds of players that are without a scholarship because there are so many schools. My expectation is that the coaches and schools will collectively petition the NCAA to tweak the portal rules & perhaps tie immediate eligibility to academic progress towards degree completion. Before the portal was put in place this was one of the proposal that the NCAA considered but could not get consensus on implementing.
4) Piath has not been picked up as of yet. I doubt that Piath returns to UCONN. IMO UCONN would only welcome back a significant improved Piath.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

1. Was the cutoff for people in the portal to be eligible to play next year yesterday, 5/1?
2. If so, how many of the 1,000+ people in the portal are left without a chair when the music stopped?
3. If several hundred people in the portal have no team next year does this (hopefully) tarnish the portal?
4. Did Piath get picked up? If not, would she stay with UConn? Not knowing the circumstances, would UConn want her back?
Great questions Skeets. Many of us don't know the answers, thanks.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Players (non graduates) had until 11:59PM May 1, 2022 to notify their current school in writing that they are transferring. Schools have 2 business days to enter the player's name into the portal. Could be that we see a few more names today, tomorrow and Wednesday.

sun

Reaction Score

FWIW, I think that UConn would take Piath back in a heartbeat if she changed her mind.
We don't really know the details about how the final conversation between Geno & Piath ended.
He could be trying to help her find another college, or he could be giving her time to explore her options.
We don't know if her decision was based on her emotions at the time or if it was based on long standing considerations by her or not.
I think that anything is possible even though her chances of returning might be slim.
I'll bet that Piath's family would support any decision that she decides to make, even if that involves a change of heart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom