Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KenPom ratings mean nothing until the season is over

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Unc at 5, Oregon at 6 and Wisky at 8.

Cuse at 12 and OSU at 13. GT at 29.

Unfortunately, I don't put any stock into these rankings.

Reaction Score
OOC:
12 Syracuse
13 Ohio State
29 Georgetown
60 Oklahoma State
153 Auburn
162 Boston U.
192 North Florida
201 Northeastern
208 Loyola
219 Wagner
2 games vs 5 UNC, 6 Oregon, 8 Wisconsin, 29 Georgetown, 99 Tennessee, or Chaminade

AAC:
28 Cincy
49 SMU
85 Houston
93 Memphis
104 Tulsa
117 Temple
155 ECU
185 UCF
223 USF
228 Tulane

Reaction Score
His ratings usually take a couple months to calibrate. With all our new parts, completely understand why we are 41.

Reaction Score
Reflects the uncertainty of the points and production we lost. We hope Larrier is good and that Adams takes a big step forward and that some of the freshmen are ready right away, but seems fair to me. Let's hope the Huskies step up!

Reaction Score
Reflects the uncertainty of the points and production we lost. We hope Larrier is good and that Adams takes a big step forward and that some of the freshmen are ready right away, but seems fair to me. Let's hope the Huskies step up!

I was interested in what you would say since you seem to be a big Ken Pomeroy guy. Why do you think Cuse is rated 30 spots higher with all their uncertainty and lack of production returning? Kenny should stick to teaching weather.

Reaction Score
Unc at 5, Oregon at 6 and Wisky at 8.

Cuse at 12 and OSU at 13. GT at 29.

Unfortunately, I don't put any stock into these rankings.

I mean, I put as much stock into them as I do any other preseason rankings.

Reaction Score
I was interested in what you would say since you seem to be a big Ken Pomeroy guy. Why do you think Cuse is rated 30 spots higher with all their uncertainty and lack of production returning? Kenny should stick to teaching weather.

It's odd, because transfers aren't counted, so you'd think Syracuse would suffer without White's stats. They do seem a bit high and I don't quite understand why. Cuse's defense has been good in recent years and that's a big factor in the ratings. That is projected to be the team's strength again and Lydon probably has a lot to do with that. I'd expect closer to 20 for Cuse.

UConn's rating is also negatively affected by how mediocre we've been on offense the last few years (especially 2 years ago). Ollie has to step up his game in this regard, we haven't finished higher than 38th in offense since Ollie took over.

Reaction Score
His efficiency rankings are the best predictor of success in the NCAA tournament out there. Been shown over and over again on this site.

However, with zero games played they mean nothing, his rankings should not be seriously looked at until conference play is underway.

Reaction Score
It's odd, because transfers aren't counted, so you'd think Syracuse would suffer without White's stats. They do seem a bit high and I don't quite understand why. Cuse's defense has been good in recent years and that's a big factor in the ratings. That is projected to be the team's strength again and Lydon probably has a lot to do with that. I'd expect closer to 20 for Cuse.

UConn's rating is also negatively affected by how mediocre we've been on offense the last few years (especially 2 years ago). Ollie has to step up his game in this regard, we haven't finished higher than 38th in offense since Ollie took over.

I don't see that changing this year, I'd take the under on us being a top 50 offense. If the D plays to their potential, that'll be OK, but I'd be very surprised if there aren't some ugly stretches on O.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's funny, lots of people saying they don't put stock into preseason ratings, while conveniently ignoring that if anything, Pomeroy's preseason rankings are the one preseason rankings you do want to put stock into.

Reaction Score

If you read his blog, transfers were counted this year...

Reaction Score
It's funny, lots of people saying they don't put stock into preseason ratings, while conveniently ignoring that if anything, Pomeroy's preseason rankings are the one preseason rankings you do want to put stock into.

yup if he had us 10th everyone would be all over this. no person/market can predict college bball with precision in the preseason, but i would take kenpoms over a poll every time

Reaction Score
Not sure how you can say this since his rankings are efficiency based, and no games have been played. His efficiency ratings now are based on basically returning players playing at their prior level with "average" improvement a typical player has from year 1 to 2 for instance. They do not take into account freshmen, unless they are a Top 30 recruit. This is why Ohio St is rated so highly. Transfers also are not effectively taken into account.

Because of this he admitted his preseason ratings are "clumsy" compared to Dan Hanner’s lineup-based approach.

Of all the preseason ratings these are probably the worst.

Reaction Score
We need to make a statement out of conference, early and often. That being said, I am extremely excited and even more nervous for these games to get underway.

Reaction Score
Not sure how you can say this since his rankings are efficiency based, and no games have been played. His efficiency ratings now are based on basically returning players playing at their prior level with "average" improvement a typical player has from year 1 to 2 for instance. They do not take into account freshmen, unless they are a Top 30 recruit. This is why Ohio St is rated so highly. Transfers also are not effectively taken into account.

Because of this he admitted his preseason ratings are "clumsy" compared to Dan Hanner’s lineup-based approach.

Of all the preseason ratings these are probably the worst.

I don't think they're wrong for not doing that, though. Granted, with kids like Durham and Gilbert, who are right on the cusp of top 30, it gets tricky, but traditionally, if you're not a top 30 recruit, you're not going to be a good player your freshman year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom