Polley rebounding fun fact | The Boneyard

Polley rebounding fun fact

Reaction Score
He just doesn't seem to have a clue how to track a ball. I think it mostly instinct which he doesn't have. I wish there was a way to combine his size with Vital or vice-versa.

Reaction Score
His defensive rebounding rate last year was the worst we've had on a UConn team of a guy getting regular minutes since Craig Austrie in '09. Literally worse than all of the guards we've had in the last decade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He just doesn't seem to have a clue how to track a ball. I think it mostly instinct which he doesn't have. I wish there was a way to combine his size with Vital or vice-versa.
It’s also instinct positioning. especially defensively. Hard to teach
He can improve his offensive rebounding which requires less instinct and just hustle.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I feel he is just plain afraid of physical play - he never mixes it up

Reaction Score
I think it's more than Polley. I think some of it is schematic. I noticed on a few occasions the Huskies running back on defense as the ball came off the rim. Sometimes there were five Hawks and no Huskies in rebounding position. This only happens if the players have been taught to get back to stop transition as soon as possible and it is a higher priority than offensive rebounding. If we send guys to the glass, that does open up the fast break for the opponent. You have to prioritize one over the other. Clearly our guys have been taught to get back as soon as possible. It's aother issue that Hurley needs to address.

Reaction Score
I think it's more than Polley. I think some of it is schematic. I noticed on a few occasions the Huskies running back on defense as the ball came off the rim. Sometimes there were five Hawks and no Huskies in rebounding position. This only happens if the players have been taught to get back to stop transition as soon as possible and it is a higher priority than offensive rebounding. If we send guys to the glass, that does open up the fast break for the opponent. You have to prioritize one over the other. Clearly our guys have been taught to get back as soon as possible. It's aother issue that Hurley needs to address.

My stat at least was defensive rebounding only. And he's beyond terrible at it.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
You'd think the son of an NFL linebacker would be inclined to lay a body on an opponent every once and awhile.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My stat at least was defensive rebounding only. And he's beyond terrible at it.

Yah, it ain't schematic. It's a matter of effort, desire, instinct,strength, positioning and will. But mostly desire.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Polley has outrebounded Jonathan Mandeldove though. So point for Polley.

Reaction Score
Polley has outrebounded Jonathan Mandeldove though. So point for Polley.

Not by rebounding rate, although data for Mandeldove on that is less available since he played so few minutes (only his last season and only total rate available).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not by rebounding rate, although data for Mandeldove on that is less available since he played so few minutes (only his last season and only total rate available).

Yes, was going by rpg only, as the initial poster was doing, but I understand your point about a per-minute basis.

Reaction Score
As of now, he's averaged 1.7 rpg for his career. That's a full rebound less than Albert Mouring, who grabbed an average of 2.7 rebounds per game over his 4 years at UConn.
@dannyHAM the Polley apologist. I like the kid and like his shooting abilities, but step up!

Reaction Score
His defensive rebounding rate last year was the worst we've had on a UConn team of a guy getting regular minutes since Craig Austrie in '09. Literally worse than all of the guards we've had in the last decade.
I tried to find a player who logged 50% or more of their minutes at the 4 last year with a lower Reb% and literally couldn't. He's a historically bad rebounder.

Reaction Score
There was a play vs St Joes in which the ball came off the rim and hit the floor. Polley was the only one within 5 feet of the ball and he looked shocked that he was able to get the rebound. It is such a statement of where our program is that someone as soft as he is plays and starts.

Reaction Score
useless if he's not hitting his shots.
He can be useful even if he has a bad shooting game, but he needs to defend like he did the last half of last season. Don't forget, the second half of last year he played terrific defense even if he wasn't rebounding.

Reaction Score
I love all the Polley trashing here...the guy is probably our most solid player right now. He's a high efficiency scorer when he gets enough touches. Yes he isn't a great rebounder, but this St. Joseph's game isn't exactly an example of a typical game. They played 5 out the entire game, so it wasn't like Polley was guarding a prototypical 4 who was working inside the paint the whole time. Yes, he's a weak rebounder but he's also one of, if not the only one I want to take a shot if we have the ball down 2 with 20 seconds to play. The poor play to start the season is more a function of our poor PG play, not Tyler Polley. Gilbert had about 15 opportunities to kick to a wide open Tyler Polley (who didn't miss from 3) and instead he dribbled into 3 defenders who were all 6" taller than him. Just absolutely atrocious decision making. If Gilbert gets straightened out we will be fine. I expect Hurley to make some very quick adjustments and we'll see Gilbert making an effort to distribute and create for others first and look for his shot 2nd.

Reaction Score
I tried to find a player who logged 50% or more of their minutes at the 4 last year with a lower Reb% and literally couldn't. He's a historically bad rebounder.
I tried to do something similar last season. I'm convinced he's the worst rebounding 6'9 guy ever.

Reaction Score
There was a play vs St Joes in which the ball came off the rim and hit the floor. Polley was the only one within 5 feet of the ball and he looked shocked that he was able to get the rebound. It is such a statement of where our program is that someone as soft as he is plays and starts.
He will he coming off the bench as a senior to hit threes.

Reaction Score
He will he coming off the bench as a senior to hit threes.
Promise? And I am not a Polley hater, the kid can hit open 3’s. But he is not starting material on a top 25 team. But neither is Carlton, CV and AG the way he is playing

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And unfortunately it's unlikely it gets much better this year.
So far, he's almost double his average for this year. (3 per game through two!) odds are he won't keep it up, but hope springs eternal in this ol' heart of mine.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Per 40 min, Mandeldove averaged 6.7 rebounds and 5.3 blocks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom