POLL: who's your MVP of this UConn season so far? | The Boneyard

POLL: who's your MVP of this UConn season so far?

Who's the MVP of this UConn 2013-14 season thus far?

• Breanna Stewart

Votes: 37 40.7%
  • Bria Hartley

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Stef Dolson

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • Mo' Valuable Jefferson

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
THis could be unanimous at this point, or maybe there's room for healthy debate, Who's your gal this year on UConn's team? She could be the best player, the most statistically productive, the player you think we would be most hurt by losing in the event of an awful injury, etc. IN any case, discuss. What are your criteria, and who best fits the bill?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Jefferson has altered the entire team's prospective with her confident ball-handling and generalship;
her disruptive D, sharp passing and even rebounding, despite her diminutive frame.

Want more; she's starting to think more about scoring, merely 5 for 5 in the last game.
Having figured out their on-court relationship, she and Bria make a frightening back court unit.

Stewie is Stewie, the most talented and disruptive player in the game.
But we knew that from her performance in the NCAA's

But what makes this team so unique and our wins so effortless is the leadership of MoJeff and her
emergence as one of the leading points in the game

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Stewie.

She's the one that scores consistently from all over regardless of other teammates on the floor. She balances the floor both inside and out and also is the on defense have to key on the most. Her defense from rebounding to blocked shots has a huge impact. We're looking at possibly the greatest player to ever wear a UCONN Women's Uniform.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I had to vote for Mo Jeff. Stewie has had some incredible games, but also games where she's disappeared. Mo has been Miss Consistent, and is the floor general to boot. She has more responsibility on her shoulders IMHO. Still, Stewie was a super close 2nd, and Bria a super close 3rd...

Reaction Score
If we are looking at stats, we all know that it is Stewie, and rightly she deserves that honor. But I voted for Stef Dolson. To me, her unselfishness is what sparks the offense and defense. She is always in the high post setting screens to free up players so that they can get their offense going. On the break, Dolson is sprinting down the floor,sometimes she is the fiirst one ddown the floor! For us post players, that is fantastic. She plays hurt. Stef is just one of those players that defines what it means to be a Husky; heart of a husky and heart of a champion. She will always get my vote.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What a lovely problem to have!
Stewart is probably POY certainly high in that discussion and would not get it in my opinion just because she is a sophomore and the other main competitors are seniors.
Dolson has an incredible impact on the way the team performs on the court with passing, screens, rebounding, and scoring, and quarterbacking the defense down low. And she is providing the leadership needed from a senior.
Hartley while having maybe a slower start to the season has come on so strong in the last month - defense, speed, fearlessness, and also senior leadership
Jefferson is the most improved player on the team, providing AA quality point guard play, blazing speed and total disruption on the defensive side, and is scoring 10 ppg which is more than anyone expected and who would have thunk it - leads the starters in FG percentage at .570 (Kiah leads the team at .635)
KML - coming on now but her season truly got derailed in the Stanford game and she still has a month to reassert herself and claim her spot among the superlatives above.

Such a tough question but I went with the height challenged one. She had one bad game against Stanford so I think she has been the most consistent of the bunch. But you couldn't go wrong with any of them.

Reaction Score
MVP: I voted for Bria. I think that she has stepped into the senior leadership role very well. In addition, her play is back to, production-wise, her sophomore level, where she was, at the most critical times, unstoppable.
Player of the Year: would be Stewie. She has taken her game to another level
Most improved: Easy...Mo Jet Coming up fast, though, is Kiah. A defensive, shot blocking, rebounding dynamo. Hit that little 10-15 foot jumper consistently, and look out
Most under the radar: Stef Dolson. She's steady, solid, and a great leader on the court. Passing is off the charts, and, if left alone, she can bury a 3, to force you to come out and guard her...

HGN

Reaction Score
I voted for MoJeff.........She is as they say , 'the straw that stirs the drink'. She is the one that handles the ball most of the time and directs her teammates on the floor. She gets steals , assists , sets the pace , and now is becoming a threat on the perimeter to prevent other teams from sagging down on our posts. One key facet of MoJeff's value is her speed and ability to stay in front of the opposing point guard and keep that player from driving the lane and getting our bigs in foul trouble. We don't have the depth in the post to lose a Stef or Stewie to fouls. So keeping that opposing guard out of the paint is a valuable asset to have.

MoJeff's shooting has also improved.........She is no Kaleena (but who is) , but she has become enough of a threat to make a shot that they cannot leave her unguarded as before.

MoJeff's assists/TO are also in the Top 10.......Many of the made baskets by the UConn Huskies have come as a result of a direct assist by MoJeff ; or as a result of her getting her teammates in the right set to get a open or easy shot.

Stewie , KML , Stef , and Bria may be the big scorers on this Huskies team , but there is no bigger or more valuable player than MoJeff.

Reaction Score
Stewie, Bria, and Mo have all been playing great. Stef is also a solid presence and KML is getting close to being her old self. I did vote for Stewie, but others could also have gotten my vote.

Reaction Score
I didn't vote, because you left out what Stewie always says, when asked how she feels about her having a great game. " But the important thing is the Team won." My vote would be for the [ Team ].

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Having to confront this choice is a prickly pleasure; an embarrassment of riches as they say. If every coach in America was given the choice of which Husky they could select off this team, I think Stewie would win by a large margin. She gets my nod, but does so because she is a big game player and she can come out early and dominate a game, take the pressure off everyone, and UConn settles in to it's demolition mode. Maya use to do that. It certainly comes in handy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would say that Stewart is the MOP.

But for MVP, have to go with Dolson (Hartley a close second) for her leadership on court and off.

I don't think UCONN will be as good next year as they are this year. Don't think we'll have the same Senior leadership (actually think Tuck/Jefferson will be the leaders). I think we'll have enough talent with the big 3 Stewart/KML/Jefferson and help from rest to win a NC. But we won't be as good as this year. (so enjoy this year)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I would say that Stewart is the MOP.

But for MVP, have to go with Dolson (Hartley a close second) for her leadership on court and off.

I don't think UCONN will be as good next year as they are this year. Don't think we'll have the same Senior leadership (actually think Tuck/Jefferson will be the leaders). I think we'll have enough talent with the big 3 Stewart/KML/Jefferson and help from rest to win a NC. But we won't be as good as this year. (so enjoy this year)

I think 2 (at least) of the new guards/wings will wow.
And hopefully Morgan will be back with a vengeance.

Reaction Score
Stewie is the X factor because no team has a good matchup for her, which leads to other players being open when they have to help guard her. There's not another big in college who can do all that she can do. From three, two, post up, rebound put back, tip in, block shots, rebound and take the ball the full length of the court on the break. I forgot. Run the floor on the break, play the point on the press. Did I forget anything else?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I voted for Mo in a snap decision but a dispassionate appraisal leads you to Stef and Stewie. In a close call, its probably Stewie.

Reaction Score
I voted for MoJeff but it says a lot when each of the starting 5 is so vital to the teams success!
You stop Chinney you stop Stanford!
You control Sims you slow down Baylor!
You stop A. Thomas and MD is easier to beat!
With UCONN if one player is a little off their norm the other 4 can more than make up for deficit! And having Saniya/Banks/& Stokes contribute is just icing on the cake!

Reaction Score
If we are looking at stats, we all know that it is Stewie, and rightly she deserves that honor. But I voted for Stef Dolson. To me, her unselfishness is what sparks the offense and defense. She is always in the high post setting screens to free up players so that they can get their offense going. On the break, Dolson is sprinting down the floor,sometimes she is the fiirst one ddown the floor! For us post players, that is fantastic. She plays hurt. Stef is just one of those players that defines what it means to be a Husky; heart of a husky and heart of a champion. She will always get my vote.

I agree. Dolson is the backbone of the team along with Hartley.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I voted for Stewie, but I have to say that I'm glad to see all the votes and shout-outs for Mo. Her improved play has really had a huge impact.

Reaction Score
breanna's presence makes it easier for everyone else to be able to do what they do. no one else has the same impact. she must be there in the tough games, whereas i think anyone else can be missing, and they still win. and with the way bria has been playing of late, i think that she's the next most difficult to do without, again especially in the tough games.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I picked Breanna Stewart because (as a fan of an opposing team) I interpreted the question this way: who is the player I hope comes down with the stomach flu and cannot make it on the court today? And the answer was Stewart. As someone else has mentioned, she is the match-up nightmare. Notre Dame's team matches up fairly well with the rest of UConn's players, but no college team has a player that can match up with Breanna. We just have to hope she has a bad day. By the way, I'm not asserting that Notre Dame has the edge in all the remaining match-ups, but simply that ND matches up in a reasonable way. Take away any other UConn player and UConn should still win just about every other game. Take away Breanna and the Huskies are much more beatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom