Poll: Who's the best center in the WNBA? | The Boneyard

Poll: Who's the best center in the WNBA?

Who's the best center in the WNBA?

• Total voters

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For the criteria, players had to be in the top 20 in scoring, and be the most "center" type player on their team. You could argue that Vaughn is the center for NY, or that Nneka is more center for LA, but Vaughn is not much of a scorer (and Stokes sometimes plays more minutes), while at 6'2", Nneka is hardly a center.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Even though I voted for Fowles, I would have put JJ second. I am surprised she is at 0 votes. :eek:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
For the criteria, players had to be in the top 20 in scoring, and be the most "center" type player on their team. You could argue that Vaughn is the center for NY, or that Nneka is more center for LA, but Vaughn is not much of a scorer (and Stokes sometimes plays more minutes), while at 6'2", Nneka is hardly a center.

There is no way Alyssa Thomas belongs on this list by your criteria or any other I could imagine. BG and Syl are true centers. Tina and maybe JJ come the closest after that but are not directly comparable. Of the 2 real centers, it's Syl by a nose.

Reaction Score
Brittney Griner.

Don't follow the WNBA but looking at players stats "per 40" minutes of play, Griner ranks 1st in 5 stats categories. Fowels 2nd, Charles 3rd and Jones 4th.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Brittney Griner.

Don't follow the WNBA but looking at players stats "per 40" minutes of play, Griner ranks 1st in 5 stats categories. Fowels 2nd, Charles 3rd and Jones 4th.

The bottom line with Griner is that she does not play with enough intensity most of the time and whatever her stats say, she should be putting up far more based on her physical gifts.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Big Syl is having an incredible season. She'll win the MVP award and deserves it. Tina may come in second.
My guess is that playing for Team USA, being coached by Geno, and having Maya as a teammate have helped Sylvia to improve her work ethic and intensity. She has always been very good; now she's great.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Right now I'd vote Fowles then BG. Parker and Thomas are not centers.

Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams actually plays the position and is good enough to be recognized. Maybe Krystal Thomas too...

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
My guess is that playing for Team USA, being coached by Geno, and having Maya as a teammate have helped Sylvia to improve her work ethic and intensity. She has always been very good; now she's great.
I'm always amazed at how often Sylvia receives a pass in the low post—usually with 3 defenders on her—and ends up making a bucket.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
May want to rethink the BG thing. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member