Poll - Where will Stewie sign?

Where will Breanna Stewart sign?

• New York

• Seattle

Results are only viewable after voting.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
With the free agency signing date starting in 3 days, where do y'all think Stewie is headed? I'm keeping the poll open as there's no guarantee she'll announce right on Feb 1st.

ON EDIT - Winsidr sources say she's narrowed her list to New York & Seattle. I originally had Minnesota & Washington in the poll.

Last edited:

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
NY!
Despicable Me Please GIF

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Seattle with Courtney
I think her and Sloot would be smart to go to the same destination.

Seattle makes sense logistically as it'd be a similar roster to last year, but you'd upgrade Bird with Sloot (no disrespect to Bird, but Sloot is 9 years younger and playing at a higher level than Bird has the last few years. I'm not sure Seattle has the coaching and overall talent to realistically knock off Vegas in a 5 game series this year. Last year signing Charles midyear was ultimately a swing and a miss for the franchise and I don't think many see Quinn as a championship caliber coach. Seattle is likely still a good team and has a shot to compete for a title but has a tall order going up against Vegas.

If both go to New York, the Liberty have the talent to match up with Vegas and you might as well pencil in those franchises for the finals. Starting 5 would likely be Sloot, Ionescu, Laney, Jones and Stewart with Thornton/Dolson coming off the bench. That compares well to Vegas's starting 5. Brondello has won a title as a coach, though the last 6-7 years in Phoenix was largely underwhelming considering she had 2 all time greats in DT/Griner and Phoenix was never a top team after 2014. I'm more sold on her though getting the job done than Quinn.

Reaction Score
I would love to see her staying in Seattle and adding to her legacy and helping that franchise to another title or two, but I got the feeling that she is going to New York, and it would be a nice move for her.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well now. Not free agent related, but Stewie/Sloot related....

Reaction Score
Brianna Stewart is the Taylor Swift equivalent of marketing genius for women’s basketball.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think she's heading home to NY with a proven coach.....
You had me with the former but lost me with the latter. The coach is terrible. She was run out of Phoenix....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
"Stewie: Come Here. It's Gonna Be Ridiculous!"
Yo! KD is reaching out to Stewie....Done Deal :rolleyes:;)

Stewie is in her prime and wants to continue to make a run at championships (as she always does). Just think she has a better surrounding cast by signing in Brooklyn than hoping Seattle can create a roster around she and Jewell.

Reaction Score
Will Stewie even play in the WNBA in the medium term with the introduction of Prioritization rule in the new CBA?

Let's say top players can make four times the WNBA maximum salary overseas. Who here would choose to sacrifice 75% of their salary so they could work closer to home?

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think her and Sloot would be smart to go to the same destination.

Seattle makes sense logistically as it'd be a similar roster to last year, but you'd upgrade Bird with Sloot (no disrespect to Bird, but Sloot is 9 years younger and playing at a higher level than Bird has the last few years. I'm not sure Seattle has the coaching and overall talent to realistically knock off Vegas in a 5 game series this year. Last year signing Charles midyear was ultimately a swing and a miss for the franchise and I don't think many see Quinn as a championship caliber coach. Seattle is likely still a good team and has a shot to compete for a title but has a tall order going up against Vegas.

If both go to New York, the Liberty have the talent to match up with Vegas and you might as well pencil in those franchises for the finals. Starting 5 would likely be Sloot, Ionescu, Laney, Jones and Stewart with Thornton/Dolson coming off the bench. That compares well to Vegas's starting 5. Brondello has won a title as a coach, though the last 6-7 years in Phoenix was largely underwhelming considering she had 2 all time greats in DT/Griner and Phoenix was never a top team after 2014. I'm more sold on her though getting the job done than Quinn.
By "similar," do you mean the same players? Or same types of players? The reason I bring that up is The Next, in their free-agent preview on Seattle, reported this:

"Currently, (Jewell) Loyd and (Mercedes) Russell are the only Storm players under contract, so almost every other player on the roster is a question mark. Reserves Epiphanny Prince, Stephanie Talbot and Tina Charles are unrestricted free agents, allowing them to discuss terms and sign contracts with any team."

My gut: Seattle front office needs to sign a major point guard (Sloot?) to go along with Stewie and then hope along these lines: If you sign them ("Stewie, Sloot"), others will come.

Factoring in that uncertainly, along with the questionable coaching, I see Stewie checking out places to live in Cobble Hill or Boerum Hill.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
By "similar," do you mean the same players? Or same types of players? The reason I bring that up is The Next, in their free-agent preview on Seattle, reported this:

"Currently, (Jewell) Loyd and (Mercedes) Russell are the only Storm players under contract, so almost every other player on the roster is a question mark. Reserves Epiphanny Prince, Stephanie Talbot and Tina Charles are unrestricted free agents, allowing them to discuss terms and sign contracts with any team."

My gut: Seattle front office needs to sign a major point guard (Sloot?) to go along with Stewie and then hope along these lines: If you sign them ("Stewie, Sloot"), others will come.

Factoring in that uncertainly, along with the questionable coaching, I see Stewie checking out places to live in Cobble Hill or Boerum Hill.
I was thinking along the lines of having a starting lineup of a pass first point guard (Bird/Sloot), Loyd, Williams (RFA so Seattle can keep her if they match pay), Stewart, and Magbegor. Magbegor is listed as "reserved" which I think means she's staying...I don't really understand what reserved means based on this description, "Reserved Players: Players with three or fewer years of service can receive Qualifying Offers to become Reserved Players. The Reserved Player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.")

I'd be surprised if Charles returned based on last season's end result, and it would imply that the team is prioritizing Tina over Magbegor which I don't see as a smart choice given Ezi's age and improvement last year. Players like Prince and Talbot are replaceable IMO if they sign elsewhere.

I do agree that if Sloot/Stewie sign with Seattle, that likely incentivizes other quality free agents to pick Seattle since they'll have a real shot to win a title, so the roster may look quite different by the start of the season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I was thinking along the lines of having a starting lineup of a pass first point guard (Bird/Sloot), Loyd, Williams (RFA so Seattle can keep her if they match pay), Stewart, and Magbegor. Magbegor is listed as "reserved" which I think means she's staying...I don't really understand what reserved means based on this description, "Reserved Players: Players with three or fewer years of service can receive Qualifying Offers to become Reserved Players. The Reserved Player’s prior team has exclusive negotiating rights.")

I'd be surprised if Charles returned based on last season's end result, and it would imply that the team is prioritizing Tina over Magbegor which I don't see as a smart choice given Ezi's age and improvement last year. Players like Prince and Talbot are replaceable IMO if they sign elsewhere.

I do agree that if Sloot/Stewie sign with Seattle, that likely incentivizes other quality free agents to pick Seattle since they'll have a real shot to win a title, so the roster may look quite different by the start of the season.
Of course, many are theorizing Stewie and Sloot might head to NYC, so that would be a huge swing the other way.
Stay tuned....Feb. 1st just around the corner.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Well, Kaboom! :DStewie joins Jonquel and Ms. Laney up front.
Now, who will run with Sabrina in the backcourt? Will 'Sloot head east, as well?

Reaction Score
Well, Kaboom! :DStewie joins Jonquel and Ms. Laney up front.
Now, who will run with Sabrina in the backcourt? Will 'Sloot head east, as well?
Hopefully she will, very familiar playing with Stewie and JJ in Russia, and playing now with Stewie in Turkey.
Can also make more money outside of basketball in NYC, and a rich owner, who has many outside contacts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom