Poll regarding Lynx Pregame Ring Ceremony during Sparks pregame shoot around | The Boneyard

Poll regarding Lynx Pregame Ring Ceremony during Sparks pregame shoot around

Is this petty or a case of "To the victors belong the spoils" ?

• Petty

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • To the victors belong the spoils

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This story surprised me a little and was making the rounds of most sports talk shows this morning. Basically, it seems during the spark's pregame shoot around, some parts of the final ring ceremony was being shown on the giant overhead screen. Most commentators thought it was a bit petty while others thought it was cool because it enhances the rivalry and to the victors. belong the spoils. I thought it would be fun to see the BY response.

I myself do think it was a bit petty. Not something Geno would do imho and perhaps put a little extra motivation into the Sparks?

Reigning WNBA champions play ring ceremony video during 2017 runner-up's practice

Reaction Score
First game of the next season sounds like a good time to me all season tickets holders hopefully are there which doesn’t always ahappen in the exhibition season. If la wants to cry tell the league not to schedule that way or do what’s the Sparks did and make the lynx pay for it on the court

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
First game of the next season sounds like a good time to me all season tickets holders hopefully are there which doesn’t always ahappen in the exhibition season. If la wants to cry tell the league not to schedule that way or do what’s the Sparks did and make the lynx pay for it on the court

The issue is not the actual ring ceremony which occurs before the game in front of the fans (with the LA sparks watching from the bench). That is done often in all sports and is perfectly fine. This is some related video appearing on the big screen way before the game (no fans) during the LA Sparks shoot around. Whatever rivalry you have, it is not ideal sportsmanship to play a distracting video during a period when athletes want to focus their mind. Certainly not the biggest crime but a little below what a first class championship team should do (if on purpose?) imho.

Reaction Score
There seems to be some assuming that the Lynx were taunting the Sparks. Reeve understands player motivation, so she wouldn’t have anything to do with something that might motivate the Sparks players. It looks to me that they were just doing rehearsals on the celebration video and lighting. Notice the flashing strobes? So I wouldn’t know how to vote given the choices. Both choices imply it was taunting, either bad taunting or good taunting, while I say it was just rehearsal and not taunting at all. Maybe the Sparks should have used the practice facility across the street if they’re that sensitive.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There seems to be some assuming that the Lynx were taunting the Sparks. Reeve understands player motivation, so she wouldn’t have anything to do with something that might motivate the Sparks players. It looks to me that they were just doing rehearsals on the celebration video and lighting. Notice the flashing strobes? So I wouldn’t know how to vote given the choices. Both choices imply it was taunting, either bad taunting or good taunting, while I say it was just rehearsal and not taunting at all. Maybe the Sparks should have used the practice facility across the street if they’re that sensitive.

Good point and I guess I am pretty cynical in general. I agree the poll inherently assumes intent which I have no evidence of. If there is some intent and in this, I am not assuming Reeve would have been a part (not that cynical) of it but more likely some technician / AV guys etc. Still, even if there is no intent, I think it is a bit distracting and as they say, the appearance of "impropriety" is often enough since the possibility of intent does seem to have entered the minds of others.

Reaction Score
It usually is standard procedure in most sports that the past years championship team hands out rings and other championship things such as unveiling the championship banner in the opening game of the following season so the Linx doing that is not anything taunting the Sparks, who happened to be the opening game opponents! The Sparks should have expected some form of presentation video being shown at that time or anytime during the game so if they were upset at this, tough luck! Immature attitude!
The Red Sox after winning the World Series in '04 the next season 's first game was vs the NY Yankees at Fenway Park and they handed out the Rings, unveiled the banner, and showed a video and 1 clip was where Mariano Rivera gave up a game winning HR to Big Papi and a smiling Mariano waved to the crowd!
UCONN displays it's Championship banner before their 1st game the next season!
If the Sparks felt the Linx were taunting or rubbing it in it doesn't surprise me except for HC Brian Agler and Nneka O it's a no class organization IMHO!

Reaction Score
It usually is standard procedure in most sports that the past years championship team hands out rings and other championship things such as unveiling the championship banner in the opening game of the following season so the Linx doing that is not anything taunting the Sparks, who happened to be the opening game opponents! The Sparks should have expected some form of presentation video being shown at that time or anytime during the game so if they were upset at this, tough luck! Immature attitude!
IMHO!
Did you even read what the poll was about. eebmg also explained that this poll had nothing to do with the actual pre-game ceremony as was objected to by Parker. This happened long before the game during the Sparks pregame shoot around. We are not talking about pregame warm ups which happen right before the game begins. Pre game shoot arounds happen earlier in the day long before the arena is even opened to the public. The excuse that they were testing the system is totally bogus since they had all day to do so. It was done on purpose and is very unsportsmanlike. They might as well have turned up the sound to irritating levels. I think the league will have to take some sort of action or this will be repeated again if not by the lynx then by someone else. They could even pipe in irritating music in the opposition locker room. Where would it end.

Reaction Score
Much ado about nothing.
Probably true in this particular case, but people always tend to push the envelop more each time. If the league doesn't take a stand on this I can see other teams using this tactic but also ramping it up a bit each time.

Baseball used to wet the fields when the opposing teams relied on speed. They configured the size of their diamonds to conform with their own teams strengths. That is in fact part of the game. Just like Seattle's football team creates extra noise during opposing teams huddle and when they attempt to call plays. However what the Lynx's did is to interfere with a teams ability to practice without interference and is an obligation that each home team has to the visitors. It would be akin to the home team turning on the sprinklers during a visitors baseball practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom